Front Differential seal keeps leaking even after replacing - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Front Differential seal keeps leaking even after replacing

Hey everyone. I just had my front drivers side pinion seal replaced because it was leaking. About a week later the new one started leaking so I went in and had it replaced again. It has now been another week and it is starting to leak again. Does anyone know what would be the cause of a pinion seal to keep leaking even after it is replaced?

The shop I'm getting this done at told me the first one they put in was a faulty part but this second one they put in is still leaking. I took the TB over to a different mechanic and here is what he said:

" When they replace the pinion seal, they have to remove the drive shaft, then remove that nut & then the yoke, in order to get to the seal. Most shops simply pop out the old seal and install a new one, never taking the time to measure how much force it took in order to turn the wheels and then torquing it back to the same specs afterwards. When they finish, they simply grab the air impact wrench and zap on the nut. If you look at the image below, the cut away shows the yoke and the pinion at the top. Anyways, what happens is this pulls the pinion forward and more often than not this changes the internal geometry and soon damages the new seal. From where you stand, you are in a tough predicament."

What can you guys make of my situation? Anything I can do besides rebuilding the entire differential? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 11:50 AM

nobody has any input?

I've talked to some other mechanics and they told me this whole "messing up the geometry of the differential by replacing the pinion seal wrong" is a bunch of BS.

The Chevy dealer in town (actually is a garage owned by a chevy dealer but they do not sell cars, just work on them. they actually are somewhat more honest then other dealers and have a little better pricing) told me that they have seen differentials get screwed up by people installing pinion seals wrong.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:55 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
red 4.2L I6 4X4
I haven't had to ever replace one yet but I would think the repair shop doing the warrantable work would want to get it right since they're the ones eatin it now! might need a new yoke and/or pinion bearing.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 AM
No longer with us

2002 Locked Up Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ - Black w/
Herculiner and Rock Rash 4.2L I6 4X4
You made reference to the "driver's side pinion seal". There is only one pinion seal on your front diff. Were you maybe referring to the driver's side axle seal?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM

yep it is the front pinion seal. I was goign to have someone else put in a new seal but I need to go back to the same shop. I'm hoping they are just installing it incorrectly rather than there being some kind of extensive damage.

It may not be until next Saturday that I can get back in the shop. I'm goign to go in for an oil change tomorrow and have them check the diff fluid level so I can at least get a better idea of how fast it is leaking out.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM

2009 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I had my second Front Diff Pinion seal changed today. First one at 7K miles and now at 30K miles. I'm hoping the first 2 just weren't installed correctly and that I don't have a warped shaft or something horrible like that. Mine are still under warrranty so free for now.
Anyone have any issues more than poor installation?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:23 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Burgundy 4.2L I6 4X4
I had a similar issue with a 1998 S10. Every 2-3 years the rear pinion seal went bad. After the fourth time, I replaced the Yoke. The problem went away after that.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Front pinion is set up similar to a Rear pinion on a TB correct?

If so, when they over torqued the nut it may have caused some deflection in the shims. Not common I don't think, but possible.

Other possible issue, and I would have thought the second mechanic would have caught it had it been a problem. Your yolk could have a grove worn where the seal sits. If this was the case, no matter how many seals were changed it would still leak. This requires either a new/used replacement yolk or a speedi sleeve.

Third option. The repair was never done the first time. They cleaned up the area and sprayed the seal with a product to swell the seal. I have seen this done at a dealer ship before so I know it has been done. Then when the customer brings it back still leaking later, they do a "warranty" against the old "new" part and get paid to do the work twice. Lets hope this wasn't the case.

Check your U-joints, if they are worn and causing a vibration, this could contribute to the problem. Again I would think the second mechanic would have mentioned this if he had found anything.

Just a few ideas, perhaps others will jump in with some additional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.