Help! Replacing belt - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Help! Replacing belt

I have an 05' Trailblazer that had the belt break. I tried to replace it yesterday by loosening the tensioner and slipping the new belt on. Once I put the new belt on and tightened the tensioner the belt is not completely tight and it's squealing extremely loud. I cannot get it any tighter. What am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
May have the wrong size belt:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...ight=belt+size

My
Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
What do you mean you loosened the tensioner?

I put an empty ratchet in there and pulled the tensioner to give me some slack while I removed the belt. I wrapped the new belt around the tensioner and the other pulleys, then I had a buddy put the ratchet in the tensioner to give me some slack to put the belt around the alternator. I never loosened the tensioner.

Also, maybe you got the wrong size belt???
Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
this could help some

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...erpentine+belt
Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I believe you got the wrong belt there are a couple of configurations resulting in different belt sizes. If can remember right it is the alternator that has two sizes of pulleys resulting in two belt sizes!

I cant remember the sizes but I did read it in a thread here, so maybe someone else will have the correct size for you!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 AM

help

I loosened the tensioner pulley bolt until it let loose the old belt. Then I put the new one on and tightened the tensioner back in place making the belt as tight as I could make it. There is just a bit of slack in the belt though and it's making a terrible squealing noise. I didn't mess with the idler pulley (square bolt without a big enough socket). I verified that I have the correct belt though, so that's not it.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Start over again and check to make sure you wrapped it correctly. Also, you don't need to remove any bolts, that may be the mistake. I can't understand you got the tensioner pulley back in place with the belt on?

Take the belt off by loosening the tensioner pulley as shown in the pic below. Then retighten the tensioner pulley bolt, make sure it sits perfectly. Check the torque specs for the bolt. Then do as the instructions say, you'll get it, stay with it:

Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 PM

help

The tensioner is set kinda low to where it's near the large pulley at the very bottom (extremely close actually), but I can't get the tensioner pulley any higher with the belt on it. I didn't take the tensioner off, I just loosened the bolt to where I could move the pulley. Do I need to mess with the idler pulley instead? I know for a fact that I have the belt on in the correct pattern.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
You have to use a breaker bar or a ratchet to get it in the square "hole" to move it to get the belt off. You need to get the belt off. Then you have to go and retighten the tensioner pulley bolt it's not in the right position.

If you don't remove the belt and retighten the tensioner pulley there's nothing we can do to help.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM

ohhhh

I think I messed up by loosening the bolt and moving the pulley out of place... Crap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.