Replacing ac belt on 2003 tb 5.3 v8 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:42 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Dark Green Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
Replacing ac belt on 2003 tb 5.3 v8

What is the easiest way to replace the ac belt? Man, that is way down there. I haven't inspected from the bottom but there is something blocking the access from underneath, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 PM

"bump"

Any ideas? That thing needs replaced bad.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The AC belt is basically the same as the front accessory belt, with a separate tensioner pulley.

You can do it from the top, but the front belt has to come off first.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOLUF1952 View Post
The AC belt is basically the same as the front accessory belt, with a separate tensioner pulley.

You can do it from the top, but the front belt has to come off first.
Does the fan have to come out? that seems difficult and i've heard that the watter pump " that the fan is attached to " tends to fail soon after tampering with the fan.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Majestic Red Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
No, the fan does not have to come out.

As mentioned, there is a separate tentioner for the AC belt.

However, my personal experience is that the tentioner does not move all that much and it was hard to get the belt off. To get my OEM AC belt off, after removing the main belt, I had to remove the air cleaner assembly all the way to the throttle body, and remove the wiper fluid reservoir. After that, I was able to move the AC belt tentioner, slide the belt off the crank pully -sliding it toward the engine, then I was able to get the belt off the AC compressor.

Once I figured out how to get the belt off, putting the new one on was easy, simply reversing the steps.

To be honest, I moved the air cleaner and washer bottle mainly because I could not get at the right angle to see what I was doing. I probably would not do it that way again since now that I know that if you take it off the crank pulley first, it is a lot easier to do. Sometimes you live and learn.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
No, the fan does not have to come out.

As mentioned, there is a separate tentioner for the AC belt.

However, my personal experience is that the tentioner does not move all that much and it was hard to get the belt off. To get my OEM AC belt off, after removing the main belt, I had to remove the air cleaner assembly all the way to the throttle body, and remove the wiper fluid reservoir. After that, I was able to move the AC belt tentioner, slide the belt off the crank pully -sliding it toward the engine, then I was able to get the belt off the AC compressor.

Once I figured out how to get the belt off, putting the new one on was easy, simply reversing the steps.

To be honest, I moved the air cleaner and washer bottle mainly because I could not get at the right angle to see what I was doing. I probably would not do it that way again since now that I know that if you take it off the crank pulley first, it is a lot easier to do. Sometimes you live and learn.
Listen to this... i did the water test to see which one was squeaking.. . it's the main belt. the one that i just replaced 1000 miles ago.. why so soon??
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 PM

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandler View Post
Listen to this... i did the water test to see which one was squeaking.. . it's the main belt. the one that i just replaced 1000 miles ago.. why so soon??
weak tensioner....

click on link below for more help.

How to- Changing belts on a 5.3 with pictures
Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealToddster View Post
weak tensioner....

click on link below for more help.

How to- Changing belts on a 5.3 with pictures
going to purchase one in a couple days... waiting on some money to fall off the tree.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:13 AM

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandler View Post
going to purchase one in a couple days... waiting on some money to fall off the tree.
Well you have reasonably priced options out there...pick your poison

RockAuto Parts

has GATES Part # 38159 for $27.99

or

gmpartsdirect

has GM PART # 12609719 for $43.35

or

Advance Auto Parts

Dayco part # 89253 for $36.99

Going local is best since then you wont have to pay shipping. You will also have to make sure you buy the correct tensioner to, so do your homework, take your time, and have fun working on your TrailVoy!

Another side note: easy way to make 100% sure it is that tensioner, is to have someone rev your motor up and down while your looking at the tensioner. A weak tensioner will move with the rev of the motor quite easily. Make sure your helper has one foot on brake and transmission in PARK!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 AM

I put the main tensioner on, it still squeaked. After an hour of forcing, I put on a new AC belt.... IT STILL SQUEAKS! I'm $100 and several hours in to this and it's still squeaking.... what next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
belt, squeal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.