How to replace power steering pump - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Cranberry Red Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
How to replace power steering pump

Who on here has done this? Mine really only wants to work when I first start up, and it's at high idle, and when I'm accelerating a little, so I'm assuming the pump is no good. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 01:49 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
What's confusing about it? Couple hoses and three bolts. Oh, moving the pulley can be a bear to pull or smack off the shaft.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:34 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Are you sure that it's yhe pump and not the steering rack itself? Does it make noises when you are turning the wheel while sitting? Have you checked the fluid level and quality?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZP View Post
Are you sure that it's yhe pump and not the steering rack itself? Does it make noises when you are turning the wheel while sitting? Have you checked the fluid level and quality?
It makes no noise, maybe a little bit when at speed but never any other time. Fluid looks full and I don't think it was burnt. Just pisses me off. Making a trip to TN next week and don't want to risk being stranded. Also have what looks like fluid on the back of my right rear dust shield for my brakes. Brake fluid level is fine though.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

With there being no noise and the fluid good I would look down line of the system. I would look a little more closely at the steering gear and the steering rack. You may want to put it up on stands and see if there is still performance issues. If so you should be able to more closely isolate the problem by getting to where the components are at. Keep us updated!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
if it is not making any noise the shaft may be broke in the pump. Take the belt off the pulley and pull towards the radiator. If the shaft is broke the pulley will detach with a bit of the shaft.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
With there being no noise and the fluid good I would look down line of the system. I would look a little more closely at the steering gear and the steering rack. You may want to put it up on stands and see if there is still performance issues. If so you should be able to more closely isolate the problem by getting to where the components are at. Keep us updated!
Ok this problem is completely RPM dependent. Pump sounds fine. Air in the system maybe? What's your opinion?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Could be air. Could be a clogged valve in the rack. Are you getting any pulling to the left or right (pulling that cannot be attributed to front end or tire issues), or more difficulty turning in one direction or the other? If so, that's indicative of poor fluid flow in the rack.

Fortunately bleeding it is really easy. Jack the front end up so that both front tires are off the ground. For safety, use a set of jack stands. Take the PSP cap off. Put a pan underneath where the PSP is. Turn the key on, but do not start it. Slowly turn it all the way to the right, then to the left. Do this 20 times. If fluid comes out, especially a lot of it, then you likely had air. Put the cap back on and start the engine, then repeat the process with it running. Now, lower it and test drive it to see if its better. If its better, you may find its still not quite right, then you'll have to repeat the process.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

That is a good start to see if that is the problem lies. If the case then the next question being how the air got into the system. Being that it is a low pressure hydraulicly sealed system then there would have to be a leak somewhere to allow air in. A pin hole could allow air in but not allow a thick fluid to leak out. The system at that time will need to be pressurized to find the leak. These are all possible scenarios. First is going to be getting under there and looking around for the obvious.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:

That is a good start to see if that is the problem lies. If the case then the next question being how the air got into the system. Being that it is a low pressure hydraulicly sealed system then there would have to be a leak somewhere to allow air in. A pin hole could allow air in but not allow a thick fluid to leak out. The system at that time will need to be pressurized to find the leak. These are all possible scenarios. First is going to be getting under there and looking around for the obvious.
I tried the above to see if that made it better. No dice. I'm going to need a pump, and a mechanic looked at the fluid, and it was burnt, so yeah I'm going to need a pump. I wonder if anyone is parting out a TB and maybe I could get my hands on a cheap one lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.