Bad Ignition Switch? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Bad Ignition Switch?

I have a feeling this is my ignition switch, but I figured I'd throw it out there in case someone has any other feelings about it.

Got into the truck after work, engine is cold, insert the key, turn the key, nothing, just the SES light with the key turned all the way. No click, no trying to turn over, just nothing. After four times with the same result, I resigned myself to the fact that I'd need to call for a tow. I turned the key again for the heck of it and the engine started right up with no issues, like nothing had happened. Got home, started the car 10 times with no issues. Went out later in the evening, made a couple stops here and there, no issues. Certainly sounds like the ignition to me.

When these switches go bad, do they go bad gradually? I'm wondering if I should change the ignition switch just for good measure.

RockAuto has the AC Delco part:

Ignition Start Switch
ACDELCO Part # D1426D {#12450251, 15242754} replaces 12450251

Anyone against OEM for this?

Thanks, guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 PM

You know, I was trying to think as I was posting if I any of the other cluster lights came on at the first key position, but I didn't take notice. You expect to turn the key and have the engine start and when it didn't, you're in semi-shock. All I remember is with the key fully turned, only the SES light was on and the rest of the cluster was black.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM

Never. No issues that could be called electrical in nature. I'm pretty sure it's the switch. Advance auto has it for $36. Pretty cheap repair for the peace of mind.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 AM

A quick update on this:

Haven't changed out the switch due to lack of time.

In the meantime, days will go by without an issue, then it will happen again a couple times and then back to normal behavior.

When it does happen, all the expected lights go on at each key position. It just seems that no power is getting to the starter at the last position. After a few tries, power is restored and it starts right up.

I guess at this point that I have no option but to change the switch and then wait it out to see if it ever happens again.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:36 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
same issue...seem to have all power just no crank!

Having same issue with turning the key, all lights on dash come on, clicking sounds below steering wheel, then turn key to start and nothing.

It has happened only once before about 6 months ago...wouldn't crank in the morning in the garage, came home for lunch driving wife's car, and started right up.

Today, drove to work, parked, and came out to go to lunch and no crank...but the steering wheel is free to turn...not locked with key out. All lights & everything work but not crank/starter action! Tried again 2 hours later and same thing.

Please advise...Ignition Start Switch?
Old 01-08-2011, 12:35 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Carbon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
These symptoms all sound like the ignition switch to me. Check out my post in the sticky about my experience with the switch.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...=61278&page=11
Old 01-08-2011, 05:35 PM

New switch still no crank...(posted on 2003 trailblazer wont start thread)

Went out in 20 degree flurries this afternoon to try and get er' started...

In sequence: checked battery connections, other key, tapped on starter w/ hammer, removed steering column bottom cover & tapped on ignition switch...still same results...all lights/dings/click sounds work...no crank/starter action...

Next disconnected negative battery terminal & installed a new AC Delco ignition switch. The switch tabs settings were tricky for me at first. After 4 rounds on disconnecting/reconnecting the battery to adjust the switch tab setting i got the key turn setting right (2 acc. clicks then spring back start feel)...still same results...all lights/dings/click sounds work...no crank/starter action...

Next I will have the battery tested (but it behaves normally when turning the key), have the codes read with Advanced Auto Parts scanner, then decide to pursue the Starter and/or Starter Relay next...

Suggestions or ideas?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM

(UPDATE) Bad ignition switch?

Got the TB running yesterday!

Turned out to be the starter...

Had it towed to a local shop Monday morning who tested the electrical system and the starter came up bad. Had them remove the starter and I took it a alternator/starter/battery shop here in Fort Wayne (Auto Electric) that rebuilt my starter for $60. They had it done in less than 24 hours. Picked it up and returned it to the shop & they slapped it back in the same afternoon. Fired right up...paid $60 for starter rebuild (new selonoid & internal disk) & $80 for tow, system test, remove/install starter. Complete in less that 2 days. Good deal!

However, I paid $40 for a new ingnition switch...ouch. But I learned how to remove & install an ignition switch in 20 degree weather. And learned alot about the ignition/starter system. So that is good.

We got 4-5 inches of snow yesterday, so I'm back in 4x4 just in time!

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:27 PM

I finally got around to replacing the ignition switch last night. Piece of cake. I thought that would fix the problem. This morning I stopped to get gas on the way to work. When I tried to start the car, nothing. No clicks, no nada. I guess I will try the starter next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.