Steering wheel lock and ABS pulsing - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Backwoods Edition Super Offroad Trailblazer
Captain Insano 4.2L I6 4X4
Steering wheel lock and ABS pulsing

Had some issues along the lines of some others. Like others I get the traction control light and stabilitrac light sometimes. Goes off after restart but happens fairly regularly when it is cold. That i can deal with, but in the past couple weeks I have had the ABS kick in at very slow speeds. I can feel it pulse in the pedal at very random occasions. Thought it may have been due to replacing hubs and sensors, since I had not reset the computer. It had not happened in a couple days, but last night I unhooked the battery and left it off for a couple hours and restarted it. No lights. This morning, no lights, but 12 miles down the road in downtown traffic I stop at a light and left off the brakes to roll a bit closer to car in front of me and when I hit the brakes...used no throttle to roll forward...the pedal pulsated again. Absolutely no reason for the abs to engage.

Then after work I get in the truck, start it and idle for 30 seconds, no lights. Pull forward 12 inches and try to turn steering wheel right..LOCKED and then lights come on, feel the wheel pop and I can turn. Pull out into aisle of parking garage and restart. No lights. Drive home and no issues or lights.

Check wires and everything looks good. Ignition switch is only 6 months old. Battery is new. Any ideas for me to try or to check? I am getting no lights other than stabilitrak and trac control. I did order another abs sensor wire, but not sure which side it would be or if that would really be it since it seems that the real issue is something in the steering.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

This morning...

Start truck, no lights everything seems good. Grab wheel and it is locked again. Shut off truck. Restart. No lights but steering locked. Back up 30 feet out the drive going over 6 inch curb to see if it unlocks wheel. Nope. Pul back and forth over curb a couple times. Still locked. Pull in driveway shut off and restart. Still Locked one arm cant turn wheel, use both and it "pops" loose and steering feels a bit loose but wheels are turning. But now both lights are on. Back out and drive halfway out the neighborhood. Shut off truck. Start truck and no lights and steering is fine.

I plan to check fluid again. Was fine and no leaks to be seen. I also have the package with the plug-in for cold weather so can try that overnight, but wont help in parking garage at work.

Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
hmmm... I think you've got 2 seperate issues...

Usually, the low speed ABS activation is a sensor issue... My grandpa's and dad's trucks did that when there was crap in the reluctor wheel of the wheel speed sensors, causing a weaker signal from the hall effect sensors (which is already weak at low speeds)...

The steering wheel lock seems like an ignition switch, or ignition switch connection issue... The steering wheel lock thinks the ignition is still turned off...

Mike

ETA: Just for grins, you might clean all of your body grounds, and put dielectric grease in them... Bad grounds could cause both of those things...

Bumper and Radiator Skid Plate GB Thread!
GB also ended, but PM me if you want these!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

I can swap the passenger sensor wire with the new one coming today since it was the last sensor I messed with. May just try unpluging and greasing and repluging in case dirt was in there. I do have a bit of dirt under and on and in my truck.

The ignition switch has been replaced and I keep one with me, but it starts perfect and I dont have the other issues with it.

Clean the grounds...Be a bit of work with all the crap coating everything, but should prolly be done anyway. You know how nice and freindly the weather is right now too.

The other issue you mentioned...I will try to find a way to warm up the input long enough to evaporate anything in there..

I guess I have motivation to finish cleaning the garage to get it inside now.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Cool, let me know how it goes...

Mike

Old 12-02-2010, 01:53 PM
No longer with us

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
When you replace/rotate the abs sensors take a flashlight and inspect the inside track of your hub. You should be able to visually tell if there is a build up of dirt or grease preventing a good reading of the sensor.

If I remember correct didnt you crack the head on one of the sensors when putting it back on, or was that why you had to replace the passenger side? That could be the issue as well.

I agree with Mike, I think you have two separate issues happening. I have no knowledge of the steering system though. Thankfully I have never had an ignition switch issue. Of course now that I said that mine will go out next week.

Good luck, and as always if there is anything I can do to help let me know.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:50 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I don't understand how the steering wheel would lock.

We don't have locking steering wheels. Is it possible you have a bad axle shaft binding? Or water in the PS system that causes ice to plug a valve?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOLUF1952 View Post
I don't understand how the steering wheel would lock.

We don't have locking steering wheels. Is it possible you have a bad axle shaft binding? Or water in the PS system that causes ice to plug a valve?
I guess I hadn't ever noticed...

The thing Kyle and I had been talking about was the fact that when he went from the 2" body lift to the 3", he got the new steering boot, but didn't put it on... I'm thinking he's got some water in the pinion input from the steering shaft, that's freezing since it's gotten cold in the last few days...

Mike

Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Doesnt look like there is anything in the boot seperated by the lift. It feels like there is a seal or bushing right up near the steering wheel or in the firewall that is twisted or frozen and once warm lets the wheel turn as normal, but when super cold for awhile it either refreezes or stiffens up. It has been wheeled pretty hard and nothing would really surprise me, but I dont have a good place to work on it in this weather. Asked a good mechanic and my buddy that does body work and neither has a clue. My buddy got to feel how it was stuck after it sat at his place for awhile and he said it feels like it is right in the column, but adjusting the tilt changed nothing.

Not sure if this allows for more ideas or if anyone knows how the steering goes through the firewall(I never paid attention) but any ideas and advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.