Engine Temp Gauge stays pegged on hot - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:28 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Engine Temp Gauge stays pegged on hot

Anyone know why my 2005 envoy's temp gauge stays pegged way past hot but engine is not overheating? Is there a sensor somewhere that may have failed or is it the gauge??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 06:59 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver 5.3L V8 4X4
My guess would be the temp sending unit. I can't advise where it is on your engine. But they are pretty cheap and normally easy to change.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Mine is like that right now because the stepper motor is sticking and not going back to 0. check to see if the gauge drops to 0when cold and if not you need to pull the gauges and replace the stepper motor. If you are doing it you mght as well replace them all
Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
The sensor is next to the thermostat and has been discussed a few times in other threads. A scan tool that can read the sensor data can tell you if it's the sensor or the gauge.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:19 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
two tone 4.2L I6 4X4
Hello. My temp guage also reads hot on my 2003 Trailblazer. I dont know if I have an overheating problem or a guage issue. When I get in TB, before key inserted, all guages are at resting all the way to the left EXCEPT temp guage which sits like it was 7/8 full (reading like a gas guage). Shortly after driving (mile or two) it goes all the way to hot. I assume guage is incorrect, but am afraid to drive (even to repair shop 15 miles away) in case it is in fact overheated. How do I determine if it is really too hot or just a guage malfunction? If it is only a malfunction of the guage then I assume it would be either the sensor or stepper motor. I read thread on replacing stepper motors on guage cluster but dont know if that is my issue. Any thoughts very much appreciated.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Stepper motor. It is safe to drive if there are no other symptoms of overheating.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenhawk View Post
Stepper motor. It is safe to drive if there are no other symptoms of overheating.
the ECU reads voltage from the sending unit and triggers the warning light. if you see the light, that's when you shouldn't be running the engine. if not, you're fine.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The fact that when you're stopped and cold, the gauge still
reads a temperature instead of returning to zero says it's the gauge
that's at fault, not your actual temperature.

Stepper motor.

Good Luck!

Chris
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
two tone 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks for the replies. I conclude from them that it is not overheating and safe to drive. I am still confused on whether it is definately the stepper motor, or if it could be the sensor? The response by Roadie to the original poster makes me unsure, or does my situation (the guage not returning to zero) make it a stepper motor issue? If it could be either, how do I determine which?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
White 402ci Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by christo829 View Post
The fact that when you're stopped and cold, the gauge still reads a temperature instead of returning to zero says it's the gauge that's at fault, not your actual temperature.

Stepper motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimes View Post
my situation (the guage not returning to zero) make it a stepper motor issue?
the gauge is stuck. a scanner will tell you what the actual temp is if you are leery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.