How to wire RoadyXT to direct power? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > Audio and Electronics

Audio and Electronics Discuss car audio, video, navigation, alarms, and other electronics here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:28 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Two-Tone Sage/Silver 4.2L I6 4X4
How to wire RoadyXT to direct power?

Hi everyone,

I just installed my Roady XT XM Receiver into my 03 TB. I have it connected to the power outlet (next to cig lighter) for now, but have discovered that the power doesn't shut off when the vehicle is turned off. Plus, I don't like the cord always sticking out down there. I would like to wire it to direct power, preferably to the power feeding the stereo as I like how it stays on after car is shut off until door is opened. I have a wiring schematic for the radio harness and know that power is the orange wire. My question is can I just tap that power for the Roady? I assume I'll also need a ground for the Roady's power cord, can I use the Radio ground or should I go direct to the frame?

Second question: My Roady has a line out connection for a direct Aux feed to the Head Unit. I have the Bose system with the CD/Aux button. Has anyone tried connecting an XM receiver to this Aux input? And if so, is is just an RCA connection or something proprietary? Any adapters out there to make it work?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
You can tap the orange wire and either use the black wire in the radio harness as a ground (I have my FM modulator hooked up this way).

As for using an AUX adapter, if you have the indash changer you are in the same boat I am in, no adapter will work. If you have the single disk changer then you can use an AUX adapter (PM me for more info) with no problems and it will sound better.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:00 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
i have the sirius starmate replay. I mounted it with velcro right in the area where the 2 power plugs are. I ran the power plugto the rear power outlet. I have my starmate set to turn off on its own after 15 mon or something like that in case I forget to turn off power.
I initially attempted to use the wireless option where you tune into a certain FM frequency. I found that I got bad reception a little too ofen. alot of fading, static etc. The unit has an FM OUT. So what I did was get this connection that allows a direct connection from the unit, to the rear of the radios FM connection. so it has a box that allows the external antenna connection to plug in to it, and then this in turn plugs into the back of the factory radio. this allows a clean connection to the radio and is virtually static free and clean. I still tune into the frequency but it sounds really good.
I did have to buy 2 adapter cables to go from GM antenna cable size to box, and box to radio....
Old 05-06-2006, 11:12 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Victory Red 4.2L I6 2WD
Caution: orange wire

This orange wire would be 12V and the Roady XT needs 5V I think. Roady 1&2s need 6V.

Proceed with caution. I would use a 12v lighter socket hidden somewhere.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:07 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I have not hardwired my roady2 into my TB yet, but I did with my previous two vehicles. I just opened the lighter adapter up that came with my roady, soldered off the metal leads that were originally part of the lighter adapter and replaced them with wires soldered directly to the circuit board that is inside the lighter adapter. I was then able to use these wires to tap into the 12v line that feed the radio. The lighter adapter then steps down the voltage to the 6v required by my roady.

This makes it easy to take it out and swap to a new vehicle.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:11 PM
No longer with us

2011 Chevy Tahoe
Mocha Steel Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
thats exactly how I did it.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:40 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I wired the power adapter feed for my Roady XT into my Envoy's Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit. This way, the Roady stays on while the radio's on (until a door is opened or timeout).

Unfortunately, the only location you'll find 12v retained accessory power in a Trailvoy is the sunroof circuit, which receives a 12v RAP signal from the Body Control Module. All other devices with retained accessory power (windows, radio, etc.) are controlled through the vehicle's serial data bus.

If you've got a short wheel base truck (like my Envoy) the DK BLU wire you're looking for is at pin B4 of the 32-way gray connector into the the underside of the rear electrical center.
If you've got the extended truck, 12v RAP is the DK GRN wire at pin B2 of the same 32-way gray connector.
If it's any easier, try probing the correct color wires exiting the bottom rear of the electrical center - this does not require electrical center removal. One should be your RAP 12v circuit.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:15 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Two-Tone Sage/Silver 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vball61
I wired the power adapter feed for my Roady XT into my Envoy's Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit. This way, the Roady stays on while the radio's on (until a door is opened or timeout).

Unfortunately, the only location you'll find 12v retained accessory power in a Trailvoy is the sunroof circuit, which receives a 12v RAP signal from the Body Control Module. All other devices with retained accessory power (windows, radio, etc.) are controlled through the vehicle's serial data bus.

If you've got a short wheel base truck (like my Envoy) the DK BLU wire you're looking for is at pin B4 of the 32-way gray connector into the the underside of the rear electrical center.
If you've got the extended truck, 12v RAP is the DK GRN wire at pin B2 of the same 32-way gray connector.
If it's any easier, try probing the correct color wires exiting the bottom rear of the electrical center - this does not require electrical center removal. One should be your RAP 12v circuit.
So I finally got around to working on this project again. Here's what I decided to do:

I wanted the RoadyXT to come on with ignition and go off with the Retained Power like the radio/windows/etc. I appreciate all the suggestions and info from everyone who posted. I was originally just going to cut the cig plug from the end of the power cord and splice it into a 12v power wire, until it was mentioned that the Roady doesn't use 12v. Good catch on that one! =) Then I started thinking about the soldering of the leads inside the power inverter to wires and running those to 12v power. Good idea, just a lot of work, plus I've never soldered before. So I got to thinking, this would be so much easier if there was a power outlet INSIDE the dash, hidden and connected to retained power. So I went to my local auto parts store, bought a cig lighter socket for a whole $4 and mounted it inside the dash behind the existing power outlet. I then connected a wire to the retained power connection feeding the sunroof in the overhead console and ran that wire down the A pillar to underneath the dash and connected it to my new power socket. I connected the ground to the exisiting ground of the factory power socket. So now I had a hidden 12v power socket mounted in the dash and operating on the retained power feed. My Roady is mounted to the dash above the 4x4 switch, and the power and antenna wire run behind the dash panel that I removed to install the power outlet. So not it's a very clean install and the Roady comes on when I start the car and doesn't go off until the car is off and a door is opened. =) I'm happy now!!!

Thanks to all posters for the great information!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:34 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Gardjosh -

With the exception of where your receiver is mounted, and where you've tapped into 12v RAP, your install is identical to mine... I've got the added power outlet receptacle tucked behind the trim to the left of the glove box.
Works like a charm, and also allows for an easier change-out of the satellite receiver if you ever decide to switch services or upgrade (as I did when I swapped my Roady for an Audiovox Xpress).
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Olympic White/Summit Whit 4.2L I6 4X4
Sirius Starmate hardwire install

Hello,

I'm new here and love what I see so far. Very helpful information.

On to the topic: I installed a Sirius Starmate 4 in my 03 TB LS EXT. Used an external FM modulator and install kit from Crutchfield and it works great. The only thing that I am stuck on is the RAP power. I used a fuse tap on the sunroof fuse (my TB does not have a sunroof). I now have accessory power, but it doesn't shut off when doors are opened or on the timeout.

I used the fuse tap because I didn't want to cut wires. I have done many electrical installs over the years, but vehicles keep getting more electrically complicated and I don't want to screw something up.

So, my question: If I am tapped into the sunroof fuse, why doesn't the RAP work?

Thanks in advance!
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.