"Battery Not Charging" message - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:30 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
"Battery Not Charging" message

Last week soon after a hard acceleration to get into traffic the battery light came on and a Battery Not Charging message appeared. Consulting my Haynes manual I read that the only two possibilities to a battery not charging would be the battery or the alternator.

I removed the battery and took it to Auto Zone and it tested good. I then replaced the alternator. (The vehicle has 160K on it and the alternator has been making noise for well over a year so I decided to simply replace it.)

I just cranked the Envoy up and the light and warning message are still there. There is an slight inconsistency to this though. The first time I cranked the car it was there. The second time it did not appear until the engine had run about a minute. When left to idle there seems to be a cycling of some sorts as if the load on the engine changes or goes from a fast idle to a slow idle. After about 3-4 cycles of this the engine finally dies during one of the slow idle periods.

On a side note that might be related. The check engine light had come on a week or two earlier and I have to admit I didn't scan until last Friday. While taking the batter to be tested I rented a scanner. When I replaced the battery the CEL had gone out and the scan read "No Codes". The CEL light remains off.

Any help offered is appreciated.

Stuart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 01:47 PM

2008 Isuzu Ascender
Midnight Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
Last week soon after a hard acceleration to get into traffic the battery light came on and a Battery Not Charging message appeared. Consulting my Haynes manual I read that the only two possibilities to a battery not charging would be the battery or the alternator.

I removed the battery and took it to Auto Zone and it tested good. I then replaced the alternator. (The vehicle has 160K on it and the alternator has been making noise for well over a year so I decided to simply replace it.)

I just cranked the Envoy up and the light and warning message are still there. There is an slight inconsistency to this though. The first time I cranked the car it was there. The second time it did not appear until the engine had run about a minute. When left to idle there seems to be a cycling of some sorts as if the load on the engine changes or goes from a fast idle to a slow idle. After about 3-4 cycles of this the engine finally dies during one of the slow idle periods.

On a side note that might be related. The check engine light had come on a week or two earlier and I have to admit I didn't scan until last Friday. While taking the batter to be tested I rented a scanner. When I replaced the battery the CEL had gone out and the scan read "No Codes". The CEL light remains off.

Any help offered is appreciated.

Stuart
Sounds like one of 2 things, possible dirty throttle body as previously said . Belt tension not as tight as it should be . If you have your defroster on then the AC compressor will cycle on and off like you are describing. Turn off defroster and see if its still cycling .
Old 01-16-2011, 02:22 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by barron03 View Post
Sounds like you need clean the throttle body.http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...light=throttle
I cleaned it about 6 months ago. Think it needs it again so soon? How does a dirty TB affect the battery charging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergg View Post
Sounds like one of 2 things, possible dirty throttle body as previously said . Belt tension not as tight as it should be . If you have your defroster on then the AC compressor will cycle on and off like you are describing. Turn off defroster and see if its still cycling .
The Envoy has an automatic belt tensioner so I assume the belt is tight enough. I'm pretty sure the belt was replaced about 12K miles ago as I replaced the water pump, idler pulley and fan clutch.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:38 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
I cleaned it about 6 months ago. Think it needs it again so soon? How does a dirty TB affect the battery charging?
Thats what I wonder too. It seems like a lot of people on this forum recommend cleaning the TB as a cure all for almost every issue. Whether it has anything to do with your situation or not, idk.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:40 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The Envoy has an automatic belt tensioner so I assume the belt is tight enough. I'm pretty sure the belt was replaced about 12K miles ago as I replaced the water pump, idler pulley and fan clutch.[/QUOTE]

The tensioner pulley is automatic, but after 160k the spring may be losing it's tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmcknight View Post
Thats what I wonder too. It seems like a lot of people on this forum recommend cleaning the TB as a cure all for almost every issue. Whether it has anything to do with your situation or not, idk.

If the idle will not stay steady after disconnecting the battery, when it was steady before the disconnect, it is a common symptom of a dirty t-body.

Also, to the OP: check all of the grounding spots for bad connections for your battery problems.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
i had a battery not charging message before... 1st problem was alternator wasnt charging after shop removed and reinstalled... put new one it.. tested it and it said not charging, we pulled out the DMM and it was charging fine... ordered a new plug that attaches to the alt. message went away...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet669 View Post
i had a battery not charging message before... 1st problem was alternator wasnt charging after shop removed and reinstalled... put new one it.. tested it and it said not charging, we pulled out the DMM and it was charging fine... ordered a new plug that attaches to the alt. message went away...
Excuse my ignorance but what is a DMM? That plug that connects to the wiring harness, I assume you had to cut the wires and splice the new one on?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance but what is a DMM? That plug that connects to the wiring harness, I assume you had to cut the wires and splice the new one on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckshdw View Post
Digital multimeter, to measure the voltage
what he said... Digital MultiMeter... it can be used to see if the alternator is sending out the volts to the battery to ensure that the alt is working and charging the battery...

a shop was doing it at the time... but yea they got a new pigtail, cut the wires, and attached the new plug and all was good...
Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
I did an inspection of the tensioner and it is steady while the engine is running not bouncing around like a loose belt might cause. In addition the indexing mark on the tensioner is between the marks on the assembly and belt looks good. I just went and bought a meter and found that the alternator is not charging. This is a new alternator just installed Saturday morning. The heavy cable going from the alternator to the battery appears to be intact, not showing any signs of abrasion. Next step?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Using a brand new meter I placed the probes on the battery terminal bolts (red and black respectively) while the engine was off and got a reading of about 12.1. I then started the engine and readings were between 11.3 and 11.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.