OK to replace just 2 tires..?? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
OK to replace just 2 tires..??

My wife picked up a nail in the sidewall of her TB tire (rear) this morning. Tires are still fairly well endowed as far as tread is concerned, I would guess 7/32 is left.

My question is whether I can just replace both rear tires, or do I need to replace all 4. We use AWD only in bad weather, and never use 4WD.

I don't want to dump $$$ into tires, but I don't want to overly stress the TB diffs either.

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 11:58 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Indigo Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
My advice is yes, but always put newer tires in the front. rotate when the wear is fairly even or front are more worn. the fronts usually wear faster (except SS's ) and they will "catch-up" with the wear on the rears over time.

Another fun fact is that the least worn tires on the front can lead to less hydroplaning.

my
Old 02-09-2011, 12:47 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Backwoods Edition Super Offroad Trailblazer
Captain Insano 4.2L I6 4X4
Should be fine to only do two.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
2 is fine. If you get a different brand of tire, try to keep 2 of the same on the front and 2 of the same on the rear. If you put 2 different tires on the front, you might get a pull (steering wheel off center).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Actually, new tires should ALWAYS go on the rear of any vehicle, even if you've got a front wheel drive car. Most tire places won't put new tires only on the front or will make you sign a waiver. The reason for this is to prevent fishtailing during braking or cornering in low traction conditions. Here is a link to the subject at tire rack. You can also find the same information at popular mechanics, rubber manufacturer's association, etc.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52
Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanD View Post
Actually, new tires should ALWAYS go on the rear of any vehicle,
That is correct Dan...........Always on the rear.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
blood red 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromanjr View Post
My advice is yes, but always put newer tires in the front. rotate when the wear is fairly even or front are more worn. the fronts usually wear faster (except SS's ) and they will "catch-up" with the wear on the rears over time.

Another fun fact is that the least worn tires on the front can lead to less hydroplaning.

my
false. new tires should always be placed in the rear even in a front wheel drive vehicle. you do this to avoid hyrdoplaning in wet or snow weather traction. harder to compensate for over steer when the back end looses control then it is the front.

as far as the 2 or 4. always best to get 4 but since your truck isnt awd just 4awd and your other tread has less then a 4/32 difference it wont make a difference or do any damage to a transfer case as it would like a suburu or audi thats allwheel drive ALL the time.

my from yours truly Discount Tire Co. Supervisor! B.R.Tank
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
As the noted philosopher Elmer Fudd used to say, "Be Vewy, Vewy Carefuw" (Be very very careful) doing this.

What people need to understand is - just because you replace a Michelin "ALL TERRAIN" (P245/75R16) tire on your truck with a Goodyear or MOTO tire that has the same size "P245/75R16" on it there may be a measureable difference in the actual tire size.

Even with the same tire manufacturer, two different tire models may also be marked as the same size but may actually be different sizes.

When I looked for tires I thought people were pulling my leg about this so I went into SAM's Club (Where you can actually look at the tires you buy) with a measuring tape and found as much as a 1/2" differencee in tire height.

Differences in tire heights can cause a myriad of issues with the newer cars/trucks with all the new computer controlled items.

Unless you're replacing all 4 at once, make sure you replace a Uniroyal "Tiger Paw" with a Uniroyal Tiger Paw, etc...
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
blood red 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabofthepequod View Post
As the noted philosopher Elmer Fudd used to say, "Be Vewy, Vewy Carefuw" (Be very very careful) doing this.

What people need to understand is - just because you replace a Michelin "ALL TERRAIN" (P245/75R16) tire on your truck with a Goodyear or MOTO tire that has the same size "P245/75R16" on it there may be a measureable difference in the actual tire size.

Even with the same tire manufacturer, two different tire models may also be marked as the same size but may actually be different sizes.

When I looked for tires I thought people were pulling my leg about this so I went into SAM's Club (Where you can actually look at the tires you buy) with a measuring tape and found as much as a 1/2" differencee in tire height.

Differences in tire heights can cause a myriad of issues with the newer cars/trucks with all the new computer controlled items.

Unless you're replacing all 4 at once, make sure you replace a Uniroyal "Tiger Paw" with a Uniroyal Tiger Paw, etc...
i agree but only to a certain degree.

ok obviously if you replace an AT with a regular street tire in the same size theres gonna be a difference in size. only because the m/t come with 14 to 16/32 in which a highway tread probably start with 12/32. furthermore, when buying tires your always for the most part gonna stick in the same catagory as far as quality. an entrylevel 205/65/15 is going to be smaller then a premium quality michelin in the same size.... why? more ingredients in the tire. reinforced sidewalls, stronger beads. 12/32 instead of 8/32. integrated tread sipe, stronger steel belts, and other different features and benefits. so when saying you get what you pay for.... with tires thats really how it is. so do your homework before buying. and many tire shops are more then willing to show you their inventory on request.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Indigo Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
Well, I learned something new, I searched a few articles and found the same recommendations you guys wrote about, thanks for the correction guys.

DanD, the link you provided did not take me to Tire Rack and the article, but I googled and found a few others.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.