Tranny makes whining noise when cold and when put into drive or reverse. - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Transmission Mods

Transmission Mods Performance Transmission Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:21 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Exclamation Tranny makes whining noise when cold and when put into drive or reverse.

I have a 2004 Trailblazer 155K every morning when I start it, a whining noise comes from underneath the vehicle it goes away after 2 to 4 seconds after I star the engine, I have checked the fluids and they are all ok.

When I put it into drive it also makes the same whining noise as well as in reverse but it only does it for about 2 seconds. Once the engine and tranny warm up the sounds go away. When cold the transmission makes the same noise, but very faint, when shifting 1st to 2nd.

Transmission fluid and filter got replaced less than 500 miles ago, I don't know what problem might it be or what the cause is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 06:44 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
My Envoy had all the underside fluids changed at 120K. I have the same issue and I can't figure out what I did wrong, if anything. I used Penzoil Dexron III. Fluid is up to where it should be. Hopefully I won't have to take the pan down again and take another bath....
Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Are you sure its the transmission? Under the drivers seat, outside the vehicle is a blower that will come on to feed the AIR system in the I6 engine. It makes a whirring noise normally but when they age and get ready to give up the ghost they can whine, rattle, make all types of different noises. They only run for a short time, and turn off when you start driving so you might think its the transmission whining when you shift out of second gear, but it might actually be the blower turning off at that point because thats when its programmed to shut off.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
TrailblazrI6, mine only makes the noise on first start up and lasts for a few seconds and goes away before I even move the shifter out of park. The noise showed up after I changed the oil and filter in the trans. I know that the filter was snug going back in. It of course also does it after sitting for a while and everything is cooled down. I am now wondering if I got a defective filter kit from Autozone and should have spent a few bucks more on the AC delco from the dealer.....
Old 12-22-2011, 12:47 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamimj222 View Post
TrailblazrI6, mine only makes the noise on first start up and lasts for a few seconds and goes away before I even move the shifter out of park. The noise showed up after I changed the oil and filter in the trans. I know that the filter was snug going back in. It of course also does it after sitting for a while and everything is cooled down. I am now wondering if I got a defective filter kit from Autozone and should have spent a few bucks more on the AC delco from the dealer.....
Ahhhh....sorry, I didnt know you had just changed the fluid/filter. Very possible that it is in fact the pump whining in the transmission. I'd be taking the pan off and checking a. that the filter is seated fully in the grommet and b. that you didnt get a defective filter that is too restrictive or something along those lines!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
This is how I fixed this issue.

Turns out that sometimes the transmission fluid filter is defective. It happens more times than you think so. What I had to do, unfortunately, I had to drop the pan change the fluid filer and that is what fixed. Not sure if I installed the first filer incorrectly or if it was defective. This is where I would start, simply because after I did this I took care of the issue.

You may want to add a bit of Lucas transmission additive.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I have the same problem with my TB.
I have changed the transmission oil and filter.. and after some time of driving this whining noise occured at cold startup and changing gears. After 5 - 10 min of engin idling everything is ok.
I have change the filter second time and after 3 weeks the same noise came back... at cold startup - but little bit less. I am sure the both filters was to deep pan; no problem with oil;
Dear colleagues what can I do now? Where is the problem?
I have just order third filter - now Acdelco; It is very irritating problem...
Any help, advice.. will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos1 View Post
I have the same problem with my TB.
I have changed the transmission oil and filter.. and after some time of driving this whining noise occured at cold startup and changing gears. After 5 - 10 min of engin idling everything is ok.
I have change the filter second time and after 3 weeks the same noise came back... at cold startup - but little bit less. I am sure the both filters was to deep pan; no problem with oil;
Dear colleagues what can I do now? Where is the problem?
I have just order third filter - now Acdelco; It is very irritating problem...
Any help, advice.. will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
I have been told that "I found a post about a similar situation & the problem appeared to be the plastic filter. My guess is that a sonic weld joint would break when the fluid would be pulled thru it, specifically when cold due to the thicker fluid then." So supposedly there are a bunch of bad filters out there. I tried Purolator from Pepboys and I tried a Wix filter from Amazon.... both made similar problems.....
Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Ive got exactly the same problem. When I noticed the noise I stopped driving the tb. Ive been driving the minivan to work. I have to get this fixed to get my man card back. I am ordering a factory filter from the dealer so I can install that this weekend. Hopefully that cures it.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelieking View Post
Ive got exactly the same problem. When I noticed the noise I stopped driving the tb. Ive been driving the minivan to work. I have to get this fixed to get my man card back. I am ordering a factory filter from the dealer so I can install that this weekend. Hopefully that cures it.
Wheelieking, let me know if that cures the problem. I will try the same as it is getting very annoying!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
noise transmission, noise underneath vechicle, transmission fluid change, transmission problems, whining noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.