check engine light flashing - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
check engine light flashing

so my check engine light has came on in the past... i took it to auto zone and my tb would not read i guess... it seems when its really cold out it comes on then after a few starts it goes away... as of today it is now back on and is flashing and my tb is running rough... i also noticed my cruize control is not working either... i hav a few ideas about the running rough and the service light but not sure... I was wondering if anyone had this problem be for or knows what it could be... PLEASE HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
You really have to get the code read. Usually it's a blown fuse #13 under the hood. The vehicle's trying to tell you exactly what's wrong. We can't guess accurately without the code.

Flashing is VERY BAD and the Owner's Manual advises to stop driving before you kill your catalytic converter from the intermittent misfiring.

Cruise control is suppressed while certain codes like that are happening as an annoyance factor to get you to take action soon.

How many miles, and what's your maintenance history like plugs?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM

i hav 160,000 miles and jst bought my tb this summer so havent changed the plugs or wires yet even tho i really should have. havent did any mant. on it either but tires and ball joints
Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I had a similiar issue with mine not too long ago and what I learned was that either the auto parts stores use cheap readers that cant dig into most of the codes or they just dont know how to use them. Around here the stealership charges 90 bucks just to do a read, but if the light is flashing it might be money well spent even if you fix it yourself. I was lucky in that mine was just a throttle body issue that was covered under warranty (NO CHARGE! yippee!!).

As a side note, I also had a yaw sensor go bad and throw a code that the advanced autoparts couldnt read. If the 90 bucks is too steep (of course it is) you might consider finding someone with a code reader or even take it to a local private shop and see if they can read it for you. Hell for 90 bucks you could probably buy a reader and pull the codes yourself

Bottom line Flashing = potential for bad things...get it checked soon
Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2002LT View Post
so my check engine light has came on in the past... i took it to auto zone and my tb would not read i guess... it seems when its really cold out it comes on then after a few starts it goes away... as of today it is now back on and is flashing and my tb is running rough... i also noticed my cruize control is not working either... i hav a few ideas about the running rough and the service light but not sure... I was wondering if anyone had this problem be for or knows what it could be... PLEASE HELP
It could be any number of things. Take it to another Autozone and report back what the code is. They can also check the battery and alternator for free while you are there.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:17 PM

So thankyou very much the roadie... i went n checked my # 13 fuze in sure enough cig lighter was blown (which i knew that cig lighter didnt work) that fuze must also control the conecton of a code tester... i went to auto zone and was able to check my codes... which came up P0304 cylinder 4 misfire... so i need to do a tune up a.s.a.p...also the code P0014 which is a cam phasing error exceeded tolerance value which could be a loose cam or crank sensor, timing, or blocked oil passage, or incorrect oil qty or viscosity...

so im gonna change the plugs wires n oil tomarrow n go from there... havent did motor work on a vortec before but im sure its not that dif.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Scratchy Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2002LT View Post
i took it to auto zone and my tb would not read i guess
If their scan tool won't power up, chances are that the cigarette lighter fuse is blown. That fuse also powers one of the wires in the obd2 connector to power up a scan tool.

You shouldn't drive it with the light flashing so get that code read asap.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Cylinder 4 misfire could also be due to a leaking hood cowl seal, allowing water to drip
down in to the #4 plug well. Could cause the coil to fail, so watch out for it to be
more than just plugs.

Though, if you've got that many miles and the plugs have not been changed, they're
way overdue. EDIT: There's a How-to on here for the plugs as well.

I've seen some other vehicles throw timing codes because of misfires, so you might
want to hold off on doing anything past the plugs and oil, see if that makes the P0014
settle down.

Luckily, with the 4.2, no wires to change. Definitely use the AC Delco 41-103 plugs.

You might consider cleaning the throttle body while you're in there, too. There's a nice
"How-to" on here....just search for "Cleaning Throttle Body".

Good Luck!

Chris
Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 PM

so heres the run down...i unhooked the battery, changed all 6 plugs.. swiched my #2 coil pack with my #4 coil pack (hopin it would move to the #2 if it were the coil)... put it all back together... added some fuil injector cleaner, RAN GREAT goin home with no service light...the next day went to work and on my lunch it started runnin rough again. parked it for a day. next day running rough, took it to autozone and cleared my codes then it ran normal allll day no codes with full power (weired almost like the computer "thought" it was misfiring... then out of no where only 5 hrs later again shes running rough... tested the codes and now its a random misfire. what to do now
Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 PM

there for a while i thought it was only bad gas that i had but dont know now.... please if anyone has any thoughts on how i could fix my problem please let me know

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.