P0016 Code - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > The Lounge > TrailBlazer / Envoy Chat

TrailBlazer / Envoy Chat The TrailBlazer and Envoy Owners and Enthusiast lounge. (no tech questions)

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
P0016 Code

Hello Everyone - I am new to this site so learning how to navigate anyway I have replaced the cam Position sensor and the Cam Actuator - CLeared the code twice now and it keeps coming back - Some people are saying I need to replace the Cam Phaser Actuator Sprocket.

Is this the correct direction to be heading? My truck runs great but keeps popping the same code and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 12:18 PM

camshaft actuator gear assembly replacement

Ok so I have determined that the camshaft actautor gear assembly needs to be replaced.

My question is has anyone ever done it and can the above average home mechanic tackle this pretty easily? It seems that it isn't to difficult just need a few special tools The one step I am a bit worried about is the tension holding so you don't need to take everything apart. Is there a way of doing this with out the special tool and can anyone walk me through it or should I turn it over to the local mechanic - I believe it is going to cost in the neighbor hood of $700.00 and I think I can have all the parts in hand for around $200.00 if I do it myself.

Jim
Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Welcome to the forums, first and foremost

I had to replace the camshaft actuator (the mechanical part) about a week ago; I was quoted $1,000 total, which I thought wasn't too bad (they also put in a battery I purchased outside of the dealer, so I saved money there). I was encountering a P1345 code, though.

As for a DIY'er kind of job, I haven't found any threads or posts here for replacing the camshaft actuator. I would have done it on my own, with the help of my buddies, but we didn't want to mess with the timing. I'd say its pretty iffy, but if you have the equipment, experience, and time, more power to you
Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Indigo Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
Camshaft actuator solenoid (have to move PS pump)

Camshaft phaser actuator gear assembly (have to remove valve cover and hold chain during replacement)

I'm not sure you guys are talking about the same part or different ones. These are 2 different parts, watch out what name you give the part.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromanjr View Post
Camshaft actuator solenoid (have to move PS pump)

Camshaft phaser actuator gear assembly (have to remove valve cover and hold chain during replacement)

I'm not sure you guys are talking about the same part or different ones. These are 2 different parts, watch out what name you give the part.
We are talking about the same part; the camshaft actuator is the mechanical part, while the camshaft actuator solenoid is the electrical part.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 PM

I am referring to the camshaft phaser actuater. The mechanical part yes
Old 03-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck07 View Post
I am referring to the camshaft phaser actuater. The mechanical part yes
Glad to know we're on the same page

After the dealer had completed my fix-up, they mentioned that my camshaft phaser actuator was stuck at full advance, so I was averaging about 8 MPG... Sorry I couldn't provide much more information on the subject...I got fed up and decided to leave the annoying job to the dealer.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM

Mine is only sticking on startup( The initial 10 Second scan) which is throwing my code I can clear it but it comes back a day later - I may get lucky and with the warmer weather coming it may just go away until winter is back- Not stuck in advance or retard yet but I'm sure it's a matter of time.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck07 View Post
Mine is only sticking on startup( The initial 10 Second scan) which is throwing my code I can clear it but it comes back a day later - I may get lucky and with the warmer weather coming it may just go away until winter is back- Not stuck in advance or retard yet but I'm sure it's a matter of time.
Good luck with that, then! Hopefully it isn't anything too serious or expensive to fix
Old 05-29-2011, 07:14 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Code went from P0014 to P0016

Was wondering if I could get a little help. I was getting the Famous Code P0014, so after looking on the site, I found that a Good oil Change and in my case, replacement of the Cam Timing selonoid, Everything seemed to perk up and now I had all of the lost power I was expirenceing. Approximately 200 miles later, I get another check engine light and when I checked it, I had a P0016 code. How should I proceed? Should I go ahead and replace the other timing sensor? I would worry about timing gears and chain except for the fact that it runs like a bat out of hell!! Any help is appreciated. I'll check back later to see what help I got.

Thanks,
Suttmike1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.