2wd vs. 4wd - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:13 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
2wd vs. 4wd

I just purchased a certified 07 Envoy SLT 2WD. It was a last minute purchase as my previous car was totaled. I live in the Chicago area- I am kinda kicking myself for not searching more for a 4wd.
I have never really needed a 4wd- not even in the most recent blizzard.
For those 2wd owners- how does it do in the snow? Towing? etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 02:38 PM
No longer with us

2011 Chevy Tahoe
Mocha Steel Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
I never had any issues driving my 2wd TB in snow. I stayed on main roads and used good sense about where to drive. That said, I was in Virginia. We had a few good storms, a couple of ice storms, but NOTHING like what I have driven through in Chicago. I did however drive my civic through some pretty good Chicago storms without any problems either. I think it comes down to how experienced you are are.

I remember the first snow my TB saw. The wife and I were leaving Norfolk heading for Miami for Christmas. We had about 8 inches of snow and ice crap on the ground. The TB wasn't having any problems.... save one. The window wash tank had frozen solid! You can imagine how cold it has to be to freeze that tank solid. For the first hour I had to stop every 10 minutes and wish the windshield by hand. It began to thaw after about 3 or 4 hours of driving, which was a couple hundred mile south, into warmer temps.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:49 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
You'll have fewer problems if you got the G80 automatic locker option. Does your glove box sticker say "G80" on it?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
If I recall correctly, 07+ models come standard with Stabilitrak, which combines ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control in its functionality. That should get you through most on-road winter driving situations just fine, you just need to take time, go easy and let the electronics do their thing. When GM developed Stabilitrak, for demonstration purposes they took two nearly identical Yukons, one a 4x4 w/o Stabilitrack and another a rwd unit with Stabilitrak and guess which one maneuvered the snow & ice covered course better? ..... If you guessed the 4x4, you'd be wrong!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Can't imagine it

My EXT spins the rears way too easily. I wouldn't consider it if I had to drive in snow. Maybe with real snow tires instead of all terrain tires it would be ok.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM

2007 Buick Rainier
Imperial Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylab View Post
If I recall correctly, 07+ models come standard with Stabilitrak, which combines ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control in its functionality. That should get you through most on-road winter driving situations just fine, you just need to take time, go easy and let the electronics do their thing. When GM developed Stabilitrak, for demonstration purposes they took two nearly identical Yukons, one a 4x4 w/o Stabilitrack and another a rwd unit with Stabilitrak and guess which one maneuvered the snow & ice covered course better? ..... If you guessed the 4x4, you'd be wrong!
Some of the stabilitrak comparison videos are amazing. Total catastrophe without and maintain control with. My bottom line is it's a truck, trucks should have more than 2wd. That's just the Minnesotan in me. I've never known anyone with only 2wd on a truck. We subject our trucks to all the stuff you'd want more than 2wd for.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver Green/Silver 2Tone 4.2L I6 4X4
Go with snow tires in winter and you should not have to many problems. I had a 2WD Blazer with snows and had no problems in light snow.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Im orignally from Cleveland, OH. There were times I would use my 4wd but that was just me being stupid and trying to get stuck .

Most of the time I was in 2wd with decent tires and there were only a few spots I slipped but nothing big to cause an accident or cause the other drivers on the road to freak out
Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Indigo Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
Have '04 2WD with the G80 option and almost new tires, no problem this winter going anywhere I needed.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
No longer with us

2002 Locked Up Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ - Black w/
Herculiner and Rock Rash 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
You'll have fewer problems if you got the G80 automatic locker option. Does your glove box sticker say "G80" on it?

If by chance you don't have a G80 you're not completely out of luck. Since you have an EXT you have the same rear axle as a full sized truck, the 8.6" 10 bolt.

This means you could use this:

http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...oducts_id=3716

The installs on those are easily done in your driveway with simple hand tools. You'll have a fully locked rear axle that releases when you need to turn. That will help get you moving in the snow, and the Stabilitrak will help you continue to move in the direction you originally intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.