Rear Ride height sensor on Envoy Denali - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Suspension

Suspension Suspension

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Onyx Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Rear Ride height sensor on Envoy Denali

My 2006 Envoy seems to go down in the rear at time over night. Not always but more times than not. Does anyone know where I can get a ride height sensor and can I do it myself?

Thanks from NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 04:54 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
If it pumps back up in the morning to the expected height, your problem is not a sensor (which are off anyway overnight). It's bag, valve, or line leakage. Common problem with aging vehicles. Discussed plenty as well......

I would just hate myself if I let you buy a sensor and slap it in. Even on 4/1.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Indigo Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
The sensors (1 on each side) almost never fail. If the truck goes down while it is parked, it is not a sensor problem because the system is off.

Only an air leak can cause the rear to drop when parked.

Most reports are for bad air bags (original and aftermarket parts available)

Air Compressors also fail and occasionally air lines and fittings fail.

Soapy water in a spray bottle may reveal a leak, support the truck while you are under there, The system will stay pressurized even when jacked up, while you check for leaks.

Edit:I was too slow again.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 AM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Onyx Black 5.3L V8 4X4
roadie and bromanjr thank you for the replies. I thought it was the air bags also but the problem is that the rear doesn't always drop. At times it will drop within an hour other times never or several hours like over night. If no leak revealed with soapy water how likely are the chances of it being a sensor issue?

Regards
Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 516NY_NVOY View Post
... how likely are the chances of it being a sensor issue?...
Absolutely zero. The system powers off with the ignition. Sensors are not being looked at with the system off.

The air bags retain their pressure while the ignition is off only if the valves in the compressor assembly close fully. So if they have a problem, like dirt in the seat, then the pressure will leak out. Same with leaky hoses or bags. So if you have an intermittent problem that isn't revealed by soapy water spray, it's more likely to be the compressor valves than the bags.

Removing the bags for a good inspection isn't out of the question. But I'd be looking at rebuilding the compressor or if that's not your thing, buying one from Ebay or the Arnott replacement.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:37 PM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali
Dark Gray Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Mine sits noticeably lower on the passenger side. (rear) Thought it was me.. Until I measured. The rear end sits 1.5 inches lower on the passenger side. This, after about 10 minutes of sitting. I am also getting a lot of road noise now. By that, I mean it sounds like I have swampers on the truck. Tires are 8 months old, and have been fine. Can the air leak cause any rubbing issues? Hence, the moan I hear when rolling?

Thx

Chris
Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 AWD
Mine, too! It even rides that way. Will an out of adjustment sensor cause one side to ride lower?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Unlikely a sensor adjustment if you haven't moved them.

Usually when only one side leaks down side or rides lower, it it something failing on that side. This could be the bag, the line or the Solenoid/Check valve in the compressor.

There is a solenoid/check valve for each side and they can operate at the same time or independently if needed.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 AWD
The sensors WERE moved, to try to reduce the "Jacked up" look to something resembling normal. Following the first adjustment (by the dealership) I noticed that the pass side was down in the driveway and then down while driving. Do the sensors only operate the bag on their respective side?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Yes, each side can independently signal too high (opens solenoid with compressor off) or too low (runs compressor then opens solenoid to raise). Usually they happen at the same time when you add or remove weight after key on or engine start.

I've heard of the system getting confused during adjustments, not sure what the fix has been. Try removing the fuse, or maybe jacking vehicle up to get them both to register high, then let down and see if the system picks up correct signals.

Finally, if they have been messed with and are way out of adjustment, put them both back to a central adjustment.

There is a procedure in the service manual to set "ride height". That process can be used with a modified dimension to get other than stock ride height. If one bolt has been removed, there is a larger adjustment range, but also a larger mis-adjustment possibility.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.