Fuel Economy upgrades for 2004 Trailblazer I6 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Fuel Economy upgrades for 2004 Trailblazer I6

Trying to get some ideas on how to go about getting better gas milage out of my Trialblazer. I currently get 17.5 mpg and with the awesome gas prices it is like $55 to $75 per week in fuel. I see that the Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer is a waste. Thinking of starting with the air systems first before moving to the Engine and Transmission mods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 11:00 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Emerald Jewel Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Wow, that is an original idea. I wish we would have thought about that. There are numerous threads on that very subject. If 1 or 2 mpg will make or break you, you have much bigger problems than the mpg. Sorry for being harsh.
Dave
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibadmofo View Post
I currently get 17.5 mpg and with the awesome gas prices it is like $55 to $75 per week in fuel.
I wish I had that problem, I've changed plugs, air filter, cleaned the throttle body, ran 2 bottles of techron and I get 14.5 mpg. Better than the 12mpg I was getting I guess. If your getting 17.5 with a TB and whining about it maybe you should get a 4 cyl.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Tell us what you did so far,like new plugs,thermostat,O2 etc.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Changing driving habits and a tune are about the best things you can do. The rest will gain you a little, but that's all, a little. Even at best, most members including myself get about 21 on straight freeway driving. I'd say you're doing pretty good right now.

As far as driving habits, I know that comparing my driving habits to yours is apples to oranges, but I don't let mine go above 2500 RPMs when taking off from a stop light, unless I'm getting on the freeway. I also keep it below 70 whenever practical. Now that winter's almost over , my mileage is going up to 15 mixed freeway/city. Once it warms up, it'll be back to 17 mixed freeway/city. That's without a tune, and driving like the old man that I'm becoming.

The plus for me is driving the HHR most of the week, which averages 27 in mixed driving. So between the 2 vehicles we use 20 - 25 gallons a week. Seriously, if this is an issue for you, and unless you need a large SUV to tow or for other reasons, you might want to think about a smaller car. For most of us here, we knew going into it that it was going to be an expensive vehicle to drive.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Dark spiral gray 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibadmofo View Post
Trying to get some ideas on how to go about getting better gas milage out of my Trialblazer. I currently get 17.5 mpg and with the awesome gas prices it is like $55 to $75 per week in fuel. I see that the Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer is a waste. Thinking of starting with the air systems first before moving to the Engine and Transmission mods.
WOW!!!! 17.5MPG

I do most of my driving in the city in stop and go traffic and I get (TOPS)14.8-15, but most of the tiem i'm in the 13's and I go as low as 11.9.

the only time i've seen it going up to 20MPG was when I took a 6 hr. drive, I was so exited about it.

17.5 is great, Just think about me when you look at you 17.5 and you fell much better

on a site note, my wife drives an 02 chrysler minivan with the 3.8l V6 and she drives mostly on hwy, she get 19-21.5 MPG
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Dark spiral gray 4.2L I6 4X4
BTW new plugs coming soon, maybe next oil change at 96K and I hope MPG'S improve a little
Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The voy is my wifes and gets her between 10 & 12 mpg going to work and back but she only has a 5 or 10 minute drive so it's not bad. I drive about 45 minutes each way so I had to get something that got better mileage(cobalt SS supercharged) between the two of them it works out pretty good. We need a truck of some sort to tow our trailer and most of them get the same or worse milage than the 'voy so we are ok with it.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Forest Green Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Good advice to try and keep the RPMs at or below 2500. On the highway this means I don't go over 100 kph (=60 mph).

We drive our En-Goat like old people (it's hard...man there's alot of power and accelerat-goat in this truck).

We've been getting about 23.5 mpg, and I think that's awesome.
Around town it can drop to 16 mpg.

Only things I've done to it are that I run sythetic oil, and I've got one of those contentious K&N Filt-Goats.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Only things I've done to it are that I run sythetic oil, and I've got one of those contentious K&N Filt-Goats.
Tires (and/or your left foot ) will kill the mileage.
Snow tires, off road, any aggressive thread pattern will impact the mpg.

Use a good touring tire and add a little extra air, an easy 2 - 4 mpg (along with the above info).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.