Heater blower stopped working - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:16 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Heater blower stopped working

Hello All,
I have a 2002 Trailblazer LT w/ 75,000 miles, Majestic Red Metallic. Turned on the heat today, switched on the blower and it ran for about 4 seconds and stopped. It doesn't work on any speed. I checked the fuse and its OK. Any ideas what else it might be other than something major?
Thanks,
Lorgeo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
There are two fuses, but it's almost always a blower resistor pack or the connector on the wiring harness going to it. Assume you have the 5-speed manual control, so the resistor pack is usually under $30. If not, it's a more expensive electronic module, but still under $100. Even if it's the blower motor, and you should drag out your meter to confirm that, it's not like you have to replace the entire control head that could be real money.

Start reading here:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=32751
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks Roadie! I did a bit more researching on the site and found a good how- to with pics on replacing the module. I suppose I'll go that route and order one. (I do have the manual 5 spd manual control. The only thing I'm wondering is it seems that prior to the module going in the other posts, the switch (in the other posts) worked in at least 1 of the speeds, prior to going bad. Mine just quit. Did check both fuses, one in the engine compartment and one under the rear seat. Thanks again....I'll update with results.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 PM

2003 Olds Bravada
Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorgeo View Post
Thanks Roadie! I did a bit more researching on the site and found a good how- to with pics on replacing the module. I suppose I'll go that route and order one. (I do have the manual 5 spd manual control. The only thing I'm wondering is it seems that prior to the module going in the other posts, the switch (in the other posts) worked in at least 1 of the speeds, prior to going bad. Mine just quit. Did check both fuses, one in the engine compartment and one under the rear seat. Thanks again....I'll update with results.
Trust the roadie.

Speaking from quite recent experience, it seems that almost any HVAC fault can somewhat usually be attributed to the resistor pack (or module as in my auto-controlled HVAC case) on the GMT 360s. Many users report sporadic fan function or, as in my '05 Envoy's case, complete failure at all fan speeds.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Blower Motor suggestion

I hope this'll help. I had the same problem as Roadie described. I will guess our problems occured when we placed the fan switch to Position 5. The cable harness connector to my resistor module burnt up at the RED and BLACK wires (pins E and G). My fan didn't work in any positions. After I replaced the blower motor, resistor module, and harness connector (had to crimp wires), I also replaced the 40 amp fuse, located underhood, with a 30 amp fuse. No problems yet. Total cost was less than $120. Hopefully, the $2.50 30-amp fuse will blow before it causes a $100+ problem. I would suggest to everyone replacing the 40 amp fuse with a 30 amp.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Update on the blower problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorgeo View Post
Hi All,
Funny thing, a week or two after my last post I absent-mindedly turned the heat on early one chilly morning and suddenly realized the blower had come back to life!! Have since used the air conditioning as well and the blower seems ok........ I hate when things fix themselves as they tend to die at the worst possible time, but for now I'll just leave well-enought alone. At least now I know what to do when the time comes! Thanks everyone!!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:37 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
When you pull the resistor wiring harness and resistor pack and find a terminal or 2 melted, you need to replace your blower motor. As the blower motor ages, it draws more current, thus melting out the components. I'm replacing the resistor pack and harness for the 2nd time in 6 months, along with the blower motor for the first time.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:25 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Just want to say thanks to you guys that spend the time to make my life easier. My resistor is on the way.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
heat

I have a 2006 trailblazer. Heat was working went to sons basketball game shut car off left heat control knob on 2. Came out from game hour later started car no heat. Checked fuse looks good, tested blower motor works, replaced resistor with new one still no heat? Is it the heat control panel that's bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.