Air Conditioning Problem, 2002 Trailblazer - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Air Conditioning Problem, 2002 Trailblazer

When I turn my air conditioning on it blows cold for about a minute or two and then the air starts to turn warmer. I am having trouble pin pointing the problem. Anyone ever hear of this before or have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 01:49 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Both sides, driver's and passenger's?

How's the temperature of the receiver/drier, the silver canister on the passenger's side of the engine compartment on the firewall?

Is the compressor clutch still engaged?

Any debris clogging the fins of the condenser, the hot part of the AC system sitting in front of the radiator?

Any AC professional taken a look at the high and low side pressures with their gauges?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
this is happening in all the air conditioning vents, both driver and passenger side. It has plenty of free on but besides that I know nothing else. What should I do first?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:44 PM
No longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannystroh View Post
What should I do first?
Get the answers to my other questions.

How do you know it has plenty of refrigerant? Note: performance in the first few minutes is no proof of the proper amount of charge.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I had a mechanic look at it but he couldnt figure out the problem. He told me there's plenty of free-on in it though so that's not the problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM
No longer with us

You need a better mechanic, then.

There should be no reason (unless you have a physical disability) that you can't get the answers to my questions. Is there?

How do you think Internet forum troubleshooting works anyway? You ask for help. Experienced people ask for data. You provide it. We guess (without being able to lay hands on the vehicle) what the problem might be, usually in order of probabilities. You take that guess and turn it into action by replacing parts and making more observations. If we ask you to get data like the voltage on a particular wire, you pull out a voltmeter and measure it.

It sounds like what you're asking us to do is unreasonable. If you already took it to a mechanic, are you saying you're going to take a list of our guesses back to the same mechanic to see if we can educate him as to the list of possible failures in an automotive AC system?

Volunteers here would love to help. But help us help you by engaging in the give-and-take process, please.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
the compressor clutch engages when the a/c is turned on, and there is no debris clogging the fins of the condenser. Im not sure how to take the temperature of the receiver/drier though.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:32 PM
No longer with us

Just feel it. It should be wet from condensing moisture from the air like a cold soda can, and feel just above ice cold.

In a minute, as your interior air starts to get warm, see if the AC clutch is STILL engaged as expected and if the receiver/drier is as cold as before.

If the clutch is engaged, the compressor is spinning, and the receiver/drier starts to warm up to match the interior air temp, then freon charge would be my first guess. Get an AC professional instead of your original mechanic.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
the compressor clutched disengaged after the first minute, when the air started to get warm. what does this mean?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
No longer with us

Either a failing low pressure cycling switch, mounted on the side of the receiver/drier, or low freon pressure. Your mechanic couldn't troubleshoot this? Just take it to an AC professional, since you might be wasting your money changing the low pressure switch. The function of the switch is to protect the compressor against fatally damaging itself if the freon is leaking out. A compressor cannot safely be allowed (or forced) to run while it's partially or fully discharged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.