How can i get better gas mileage in my 03 Trailblazer LS - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > The Lounge > TrailBlazer / Envoy Chat

TrailBlazer / Envoy Chat The TrailBlazer and Envoy Owners and Enthusiast lounge. (no tech questions)

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:53 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
How can i get better gas mileage in my 03 Trailblazer LS

I have a 03 trailblazer with a 4.2liter 2wd. I can drive 40 miles and burn $10.00 which gas is $3.30 gal. that is all on the highway around 65 mph. I know suv's are not great on gas but i think i should get better than this. If anyone has any ideas that would help me please let me know. Cold air intake or anything. Im not sure what i need to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD
Intake and computer reset definitely made a difference on mine!! you should give that a try!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:21 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Without spending money on anything new, try cleaning your throttle body.

This thread explains the process with impeccable detail: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=51619

Disconnecting your battery during the process will reset the computer.

Your TB learned to run with the current state of the throttle body, ann will relearn with a cleaned throttle body.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM
No longer with us

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (1SS)
Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
.. or you could just trade it in for a Prius

but seriously... the throttle body would be the first place i would start... a can of cleaner costs about $4-$5 bucks.. cant beat that...

after that if you want more mileage.. then you dive into mods such as the PCMforless tune, e-fans, etc...
Old 08-14-2011, 04:56 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LS)
Silverstone 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua SS View Post
.. or you could just trade it in for a Prius

I was so hoping someone else would say it!!! (gotta stay under the radar once in a while!)
Old 08-14-2011, 05:03 PM
No longer with us

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (1SS)
Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0stly_harmless View Post

I was so hoping someone else would say it!!! (gotta stay under the radar once in a while!)
.. that was the first thought that popped into my head... all these threads lately about mpg's.. i just had to
Old 08-14-2011, 06:57 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LS)
Silverstone 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD

Hrmm... Let's buy a 4500 pound vehicle that's designed to cut through the air in the similar fashion that a cinder block does and then complain about MPGs.

Really?

I invite ANYONE who's got a TrailVoy and whining about MPG to pay for the (premium) gas an SS drinks and then contemplate life a little.

BTW, I've never whined about my MPG. I bought a 400HP V8 powered brick. I expect it to drink like a relapsed alcoholic at an open bar.

... though, cleaning my throttle body should be put on my to-do list.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:00 PM

1900 Santa's Reindeer
Red Other 4X4
I owned an 2002 rear wheel drive TB LS new and never seen better than 250-260 miles out of that 18 Gallon tank. That's about 14 MPG. It looks like you're seeing the same fuel economy burning 3 gallons for about 40 miles. The numbers were better for me on the highway but not by much. Now, I own an 06 AWD Buick Rainier and have always see at least 21-22 on the hwy and around 16 in the city. Since installing a custom air intake, changing the plugs, replacing the brakes, and changing out all the lubricants (trans case, differentials, ATF), I noticed a bump around 1.5 - 2 MPG (both city and highway). No tune yet but soon. If I can muster 25 MPG on the highway and 19 city after a PCM tune, I'll always have a smile on my face driving my Rainier.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith81 View Post
If anyone has any ideas that would help me please let me know. Cold air intake or anything. Im not sure what i need to try.
Start with the above mentioned throttle body cleaning w/battery disconnected. Since it's an '03, you might consider replacing the upstream oxygen sensor at the same time. It's also possible that the cat is clogged.....a good repair shop should be able to do a flow test through the exhaust to check it.

How old are the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter? Do you keep the tires inflated to factory specs? Is the vehicle full of heavy junk for no reason? Is the A/C turned on a lot?

How often do you run a can of fuel injector cleaner? (Chevron w/ Techron is the best) Should be done every 2-3 months or so.

Cold air intake will do virtually nothing for mileage, regardless what some people will tell you.....save your $$ there. Jackrabbit starts, and screeching to a stop at lights and stop signs will all lower mileage.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 PM

1900 Santa's Reindeer
Red Other 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by petevw View Post
Start with the above mentioned throttle body cleaning w/battery disconnected.
I recall a post recently from Roadie spelling out the mechanics behind a functioning throttle body. http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost....&postcount=426. I'm in similar agreement in that when your throttle plate is opening on acceleration (or open at a constant velocity), carbon and dirt buildup will have minimal impact on fuel savings. At idle, yes, there can be some performance issues. But overall, when tb butterfly is more than cracked, there would be minimal efficiency loss. My truck purrs like a kitten idling though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.