2002 Trailblazer P0495 code - Cooling Fan Clutch Assembly - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:36 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
2002 Trailblazer P0495 code - Cooling Fan Clutch Assembly

My question is what is the best approach to solve the following problem within reasonable cost:

"Service Engine Soon" light came on my 2002 Trailblazer. Took it to my mechanic who ran diagnostics and told me that "Cooling Fan Clutch" has gone bad and the Cooling Fan Clutch Assembly needs to be replaced.

I also have been noticing that the fan makes a big noise, sounds like a big truck noise when the vehicle is at low speeds and then gets okay once it reaches about 50 mph.

Are these two problems related?

I already paid $106 for the diagnostics. The mechanic quoted me $542 (Parts) + $294 (Labor) for a total of $836 more to fix this problem. Sounds high to me, but do you think this is a reasonable amount of money to pay for this problem?

I am also thinking if I should take it to the dealer because this seems to be a common problem with lots of trailblazers. Do you think I might get a better deal with the dealer?

Bummed about having to spend about $1000 to get a fairly common trailblazer issue fixed. Should not have GM done a recall so that so many customers do not have to pay so much money to get this issue fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 12:51 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGRAY View Post
My question is what is the best approach to solve the following problem within reasonable cost:
Change the fan clutch yourself, or buy the part for $200 and have a different mechanic change it if the following thread seems like more work than you feel comfortable with:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=19604
Quote:

"Service Engine Soon" light came on my 2002 Trailblazer. Took it to my mechanic who ran diagnostics and told me that "Cooling Fan Clutch" has gone bad and the Cooling Fan Clutch Assembly needs to be replaced.
That's accurate, and he's right.
Quote:

I also have been noticing that the fan makes a big noise, sounds like a big truck noise when the vehicle is at low speeds and then gets okay once it reaches about 50 mph.
Are these two problems related?
Yep. A locked-on fan clutch is usually described as sounding like an F16 on afterburner.
Quote:

I already paid $106 for the diagnostics.
You could have bought a code reader for $50 and then Googled for that code. Or gotten the code read for free at many parts stores.
Quote:
The mechanic quoted me $542 (Parts) + $294 (Labor) for a total of $836 more to fix this problem.
$542 for the fan clutch is insane. GM dealer LIST PRICE is only $372. Where is he getting that cost. You can buy one on Ebay or www.rockauto.com for a LOT less.
Quote:
Sounds high to me, but do you think this is a reasonable amount of money to pay for this problem?
No.
Quote:

I am also thinking if I should take it to the dealer because this seems to be a common problem with lots of trailblazers. Do you think I might get a better deal with the dealer?

No.

Gm redesigned the fan clutch in 2005 because of the MASSIVE failure rate that was costing THEM big $$ while the vehicles were in warranty. Since it's not a safety defect or a hazard to human life, they have no incentive to issue a recall, and they didn't. It happens to MANY, if not MOST 2002-2005 vehicles. Get a quote from a dealer if you want a laugh only.
Quote:

Bummed about having to spend about $1000 to get a fairly common trailblazer issue fixed.
For $1000 I'll FLY there, fix it in 2 hours, FLY home and make money on the deal.
Quote:
Should not have GM done a recall so that so many customers do not have to pay so much money to get this issue fixed?
Surely you know that's not what makes them issue recalls. It's that the NHTSA DEMANDS they do it, and this never made it to the threshold of hazard. Heck, the fuel level senders are also bad, and they are only paying 50% on 2006+ vehicles on THAT problem. GM isn't a philanthropy, so don't think they'll ever do anything unless they're forced to by the authorities.

Good luck. You should be able to get out of this for under $500 even if you have to find a competent independent mechanic that will let you supply the part and not mark it up like a greed-head.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:20 PM
No longer with us

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
If your unsure how to fix the fan clutch yourself go down to the autoparts store and buy a Hanes or Chilton's manual for your vechiel (you should have one anyway's). they cost about $18 and are full of usefull info.. Plus they give a troubleshooting guide that can help you diagnose many problems yourself without paying a mechnic $106 to read a code. and as the roadie said get yourself a code reader at the auto parts store .. it's only $50 and will pay for it's self the first time you use it. But as far as the fan clutch it's not a hard job.. a monkey with a crack habbit can fix it.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
Thank you both for the advice. The bottom line is you saved me $326 for this incident, and also gave me valuable advise for future.

Here are the details, if anybody else finds my experience useful.

I purchased the Fan Clutch from the Advance Auto Parts. That cost me $180, compared to the $542 that the mechanic quoted.

I asked the original mechanic shop if I could give them the part and they could charge me for labor. They said NO. I asked WHY NOT? They said because their profit is built in to the quote for Part. At that point I was done with their GREED.

So I called the Dealer if they will take my part and charge me for labor. They said YES. I took the part to the dealer and the dealer charged me for labor only = $330.

So, I ended up paying $180 (Part) + $330 (Labor) = $510 Total, rather than $836 from the original mechanic quote.

$836 - $510 = $326 in Savings.

The Dealer also said that as part of Fan Clutch assembly replacement, they need to update the Computer which controls the Fan. Now, I am not sure if the original mechanic would have been able to make that update to Computer or not.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM
No longer with us

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Thank you both for the advice. The bottom line is you saved me $326 for this incident, and also gave me valuable advise for future.

Here are the details, if anybody else finds my experience useful.

I purchased the Fan Clutch from the Advance Auto Parts. That cost me $180, compared to the $542 that the mechanic quoted.

I asked the original mechanic shop if I could give them the part and they could charge me for labor. They said NO. I asked WHY NOT? They said because their profit is built in to the quote for Part. At that point I was done with their GREED.

So I called the Dealer if they will take my part and charge me for labor. They said YES. I took the part to the dealer and the dealer charged me for labor only = $330.

So, I ended up paying $180 (Part) + $330 (Labor) = $510 Total, rather than $836 from the original mechanic quote.

$836 - $510 = $326 in Savings.

The Dealer also said that as part of Fan Clutch assembly replacement, they need to update the Computer which controls the Fan. Now, I am not sure if the original mechanic would have been able to make that update to Computer or not.
great ... glad to help.. and as far as updating the computer that depends on if the shop has a Tech 2 diagnostic tool.. and if they keep it up to date with there uploads.. but funny the guy did not want your business this time or anytime in the future.. im gonna gess you wont be refuring him to any of your friends so that is also lost revanue for him..
Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
... I called the Dealer if they will take my part and overcharge me for labor. They said YES. ...
There, I fixed your post.

Glad you got out for a little bit less than usual. Very odd a dealer would put in a 3rd party part, since they normally ask something like "Would you bring your own eggs to McDonald's ans ask them for a discount on your breakfast sandwich?"

But usually it's only the dealer who can install PCM updates, and you did need one.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:10 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
radiator fan clutch

I read in one of these blogs that a p0495 may also be caused be excessive wobble in the water pump. What is the acceptable amount of wobble? I started getting the p0495 code on my '07 TB and I do have "some" wobble at the water pump.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Started hearing the jet sound from the fan and just pulled a 495 code so it's time for a new clutch. Looks like the 2 choices are Dorman or Hayden. Any preference for most of you guys?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemdeep View Post
Started hearing the jet sound from the fan and just pulled a 495 code so it's time for a new clutch. Looks like the 2 choices are Dorman or Hayden. Any preference for most of you guys?
This might be a super late reply but for other users, STAY AWAY from Dorman fan clutch. I had a bad experience and they offered help then totally ignored me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cooling fan, p0495

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.