Oil Pressure Low, Stop Engine warning on DIC. - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Oil Pressure Low, Stop Engine warning on DIC.

Came to a light today and the RPMs dropped and I got a message saying Oil Pressure low, followed by Shut off engine. I changed my battery earlier this week and this happened. The oil level is good and I just cleaned the throttle body two days ago and this started today, was wondering if anyone had any ideas, thanks.

Sidenote, just under 150,000 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Carbon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Did the oil pressure gage drop, also? They are controlled by same oil pressure switch.
How low did the RPM go?If you didn't do a thorough enough cleaning of the the throttle body and plate, front and back, it could have stuck and cause the engine to almost quit, and show low oil pressure, maybe.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryd12 View Post
Did the oil pressure gage drop, also? They are controlled by same oil pressure switch.
How low did the RPM go?If you didn't do a thorough enough cleaning of the the throttle body and plate, front and back, it could have stuck and cause the engine to almost quit, and show low oil pressure, maybe.
I don't actually remember, I just remember the RPMs dropping, when I looked over at the oil gage, it was normal. Not to be a smartass, but it was looking pretty good, I felt like it was cleaned pretty thoroughly.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:14 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonegro89 View Post
Came to a light today and the RPMs dropped and I got a message saying Oil Pressure low, followed by Shut off engine. I changed my battery earlier this week and this happened. The oil level is good and I just cleaned the throttle body two days ago and this started today, was wondering if anyone had any ideas, thanks.

Sidenote, just under 150,000 miles
Did you disconnect the battery after cleaning the throttle body? Leave it disconnected for 30 minutes.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:20 AM

I had it disconnected for probably 15-20 minutes afterwards, I figured that would have worked.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:27 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Quote:
I had it disconnected for probably 15-20 minutes afterwards, I figured that would have worked.
Some of the members have noted that there is a difference in the way some of the parameters clear from the ECM if the battery is disconnected longer. I disconnected my battery a few times for 15 minutes and then three or four times for over 1 hour. The times I disconnected the battery for over an hour the throttle body learned parameters were obviously erased because the idle was higher when I started it back up. You might want to let it sit a bit longer.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:48 AM

Okay, gnarly, I'll try disconnecting it for longer tomorrow, thanks. I also didn't know if this could be an oil pressure sensor or I think I read something about an oil pressure sender I believe.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Quote:
Okay, gnarly, I'll try disconnecting it for longer tomorrow, thanks. I also didn't know if this could be an oil pressure sensor or I think I read something about an oil pressure sender I believe.
Not sure I am following you. You said the engine rpm's went down and then the oil pressure light came on. That would be consistent with low rpm's. I think your trying to jump to the conclusion that the oil pressure sender is bad. I wouldn't make that assumption unless the light comes on while driving and idling correctly. Right now were are trying to get your truck to idle correctly. You could also check the plug for the oil pressure sender. It sits directly below the power steering pump attached to the block. The plug could be contaminated with dripping power steering fluid. Nothing a little electrical contact cleaner couldn't solve.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_T View Post
Not sure I am following you. You said the engine rpm's went down and then the oil pressure light came on. That would be consistent with low rpm's. I think your trying to jump to the conclusion that the oil pressure sender is bad. I wouldn't make that assumption unless the light comes on while driving and idling correctly. Right now were are trying to get your truck to idle correctly. You could also check the plug for the oil pressure sender. It sits directly below the power steering pump attached to the block. The plug could be contaminated with dripping power steering fluid. Nothing a little electrical contact cleaner couldn't solve.
I had only jumped to that conclusion because when I was browsing and saw some of the same things happening to people and that was a consensus that a few people had came too. Regardings the RPM issue, it would fall from normal idle to just over 0 and then come back up again, only once it stalled but on my way home it would fall and come back up at nearly every stop light.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:47 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Custom 4.2L I6 2WD
I had the exact warning light come on in my truck a few months back. I turned it off and few minutes later started it again and didn't have any problems. My wife got the message again just two weeks ago but it too went away. Oil level is fine, no leaks. I too am leaning towards the oil pressure switch/sensor and plan to swap it out at my next oil change. If you discover that something else is causing this warning light please post your findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.