Code P0410, o2 Sensors, and Secondary Air Pump - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:14 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Code P0410, o2 Sensors, and Secondary Air Pump

I have a couple of question and brand new to this site. However please no one get mad at me for maybe asking a question that maybe on here. I am a female that is needing help.
I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer throwing a code P0410. I know that is the Secondary Air Pump Injection. Last week I had that changed to a brand new one. Couldn't figure out why the light wouldn't go off so I had someone turn it off. The light came on after 10 miles. Reading I learned that it could be a o2 sensor. Changing both upper and lower sensors shortly. However, with me changing the pump and sensors, am I needing to change something else also to get the pretty little light to go off my dash. Any and all help would be grateful cause I love my truck just hate the light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 03:02 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Welcome

Did you have the light turned Off again? The light takes a few heat/cool cycles to go OFF by itself.

Are you sure the light is the same code as before?

Did you use an AC Delco O2 sensor? These trucks don't always like the Bosch O2 sensor.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I didnt have the light turned off again after it came back on after 10 miles. I drive my truck everyday. Yes I have the code checked again at work. We are in the middle of changing the o2 sensors right now. The back on is a Bosch and the front one is a NTK
Old 11-19-2011, 05:08 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Did anyone troubleshoot the system, or are you just changing parts by guessing?

Read this thread:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=45668

There are the pump and a relay underneath the truck. A relay and fuse in the front fuse block, a solenoid valve on the exhaust manifold, and the upstream (exhaust manifold before the cat) O2 sensor involved in the system

Only use AC Delco for the upstream O2 sensor.

The right way to begin to troubleshoot the system is to remove the hose from the pump at the solenoid valve on the exhaust manifold. On a cold start, listen for exhaust noises from the solenoid valve, and feel the turbine air pump blow air out the hose. If either one of those things doesn't happen, you'll have a clue which way to proceed.

Guessing only will end up costing you money. Makes us sad to hear that.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:36 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
We have done that and the pump is working. You can hear it when the vehicle starts. No water was found and the hoses are good. So the sensor were next. We are able to change the downstream but the upper is giving us problems. I can' get it out. Rented a tool for the sensor and it keeps slipping. IDK what to do now
Old 11-19-2011, 06:07 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBell View Post
We have done that and the pump is working. You can hear it when the vehicle starts. No water was found and the hoses are good. So the sensor were next. We are able to change the downstream but the upper is giving us problems. I can' get it out. Rented a tool for the sensor and it keeps slipping. IDK what to do now
The O2 sockets don't seem to work very well at times. You need a pipe wrench to take it out.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:45 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Air Pump

Just my ... I recently had this issue on my 08 TB. Mine was a P0041 (?) code. I replaced the valve on the manifold (as that was caked in carbon and not opening correctly).

I found that on a cold start when disconnecting the hose on the valve I felt a strong current of air, so I thought the pump was ok. It actually turned out that my pump ran on a cold start, but apparently not for the correct amount of time required by the PCM. After replacing the pump and the valve my light went off.

But as Roadie said there is a lot involved in the SAIS. I would defiantly agree with reading the thread he posted, I found it very helpful.

Anyway as I said that's just my

Edit: I replaced the valve first, cleared the code and it came back on, after that I replaced the pump.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
You can cut the wire and use a regular deep socket for removing the front sensor.

But for future reference, trouble codes only indicate symptoms, they don't indicate causes of problems. You have probably wasted a lot of time and money unnecessarily replacing your oxygen sensors. You may have even caused yourself future grief by not using AC Delco oxygen sensors.

The front sensor should be replaced every 100,000 miles or they may seize to the manifold. The back sensor should last the life of the vehicle.

Randomly throwing parts at a problem is not the way to go. If someone is advising you to do this, it is time to find a new mechanic. Someone who knows what they are doing and has access to a scan tool with a live readout function can tell you in five seconds if the front oxygen sensor is working properly or not. That five seconds can save you hundreds of dollars of parts and labour. Plus, the back sensor almost never goes bad, and contributes nothing to the performance of the truck; it is only there to verify the condition of the cat converter.

If it was me, I would get an AC Delco sensor for the front. Why take a chance on something else when we know AC Delco are the only parts that work problem-free for owners 100% of the time, unlike other brands that are hit-and-miss. (The same goes for spark plugs. AC Delco 41-103 plugs are the ONLY ones that should be installed in our trucks.)

A good scan tool and someone who knows how to read it can save you a lot of time and money. (And we are not talking about some overpriced cheap junk code reader that is sold on late-night TV; we are talking a PROPER scan tool with a live-readout function.)

Hopefully, with the help of this forum and the great folks in here, you can solve your problems. Welcome and let us know what happens.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBell View Post
I have a couple of question and brand new to this site. However please no one get mad at me for maybe asking a question that maybe on here. I am a female that is needing help.
I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer throwing a code P0410. I know that is the Secondary Air Pump Injection. Last week I had that changed to a brand new one. Couldn't figure out why the light wouldn't go off so I had someone turn it off. The light came on after 10 miles. Reading I learned that it could be a o2 sensor. Changing both upper and lower sensors shortly. However, with me changing the pump and sensors, am I needing to change something else also to get the pretty little light to go off my dash. Any and all help would be grateful cause I love my truck just hate the light.

I had the annoying engine light and also had a code P0410, so I took my 2005 TB to the local Chevy dealer. They found it to be a failed relay on the secondary air pump. Pretty cheap fix, and took care of the problem. The P0410 code that you get, points you in the right area, but it takes someone who knows what they are doing to narrow it down to the real problem.

I recommend that you just take it to a professional and let them figure it out so you aren't chasing your tail and replacing parts that aren't the problem.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
I had the annoying engine light and also had a code P0410, so I took my 2005 TB to the local Chevy dealer. They found it to be a failed relay on the secondary air pump. Pretty cheap fix, and took care of the problem. The P0410 code that you get, points you in the right area, but it takes someone who knows what they are doing to narrow it down to the real problem.

I recommend that you just take it to a professional and let them figure it out so you aren't chasing your tail and replacing parts that aren't the problem.

OK an update ................ the relay did not fix the problem, so it is going back in for service again to hopefully really fix the issue this time.

I will post back with results once it is determined if they really fixed it on their second attempt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.