Spare Tire Winch/carrier - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > OEM Issues

OEM Issues OEM Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:11 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Spare Tire Winch/carrier

Hey guys I had a problem the other day getting my spare tire down. It seemed like it would only catch once in a while while I was spinning the bar to lower it. I figured the winch is broken, so I'm going to replace it. Only problem is, I can't find anywhere that sells them. I've got an 02 Trailblazer, and if anyone can point me in the right direction or help at all it would be much appreciated =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 03:39 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 4X4
MANY people have the same problem as you.....poor design on GM's part. If you can get it to lower some, you might be able to get in there and spray rust buster and get it to move. There is also a secondary latch that causes problems too....I think it's mentioned in your owners manual.

If you decide to buy a new hoist, I think the part # is 15724900

Here's a thread discussing this:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...are+tire+winch
Old 01-06-2012, 02:46 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Ive had mine broken for a few months now so I keep my spare in the rear cargo. I am planning to change it out now........however can this be done at home, is it an easy replacement? Or am I better off just bringing it in???? Diagrams???? THX guys
Old 01-10-2012, 03:40 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Yeah, it's a relatively easy swap out, once you have the spare removed. One 5/8 bolt holds the fixture the tire rides over, while the winch, which is to the right, near the muffler/resonator, is held on (to the frame) by two identical 5/8 bolts. Takes 10 minutes or so to remove.

The problem is that GM skimped and had the winch housing made of plastic- not even particularly heavy plastic- and ANY tangling of the cable will bust the housing. Replacement cost for the assembly, which is the winch and support spindle, connected by a cable guide tube, is around $100- 125. Unless your bolts are badly rusted, you shouldn't need to replace those, or the heat shield.

Problem is, the new one will be the same piece of junk the old one was.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh801 View Post
Yeah, it's a relatively easy swap out, once you have the spare removed. One 5/8 bolt holds the fixture the tire rides over, while the winch, which is to the right, near the muffler/resonator, is held on (to the frame) by two identical 5/8 bolts. Takes 10 minutes or so to remove.

The problem is that GM skimped and had the winch housing made of plastic- not even particularly heavy plastic- and ANY tangling of the cable will bust the housing. Replacement cost for the assembly, which is the winch and support spindle, connected by a cable guide tube, is around $100- 125. Unless your bolts are badly rusted, you shouldn't need to replace those, or the heat shield.

Problem is, the new one will be the same piece of junk the old one was.
Thanks a million, ill just do it myself then. Got the part and im ready to go
Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh801 View Post
One 5/8 bolt holds the fixture the tire rides over, while the winch...... is held on by two identical 5/8 bolts.
The fastners are metric. I am not saying 5/8 isn't very close to the size of the head of the bolt but there is no way those are English dimensioned fastners with a diameter larger than 1/2 inch.

Sorry sho1, refering to a bolt by the size of the wrench used to turn it is a pet peeve of mine. I will try to play nice with others now.
Everything else you said was spot on.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:45 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
here's a good link with pics http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=52241
Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Replaced spare tire winch

I had to replace my winch assembly today after purchasing new tires. The tire dealer wanted to check the spare and managed to destroy the winch in the process. Had to cut the tire retainer in half with my disk grinder to get the tire off. The secondary latch was a solid block of rust. Better to find out about this in May than in January at night along US2 in upper Michigan. Coated everything with nickel based anti-seize so this won't happen again.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:15 AM

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Trailblazer / Envoy spare tire hoist

They are available on Ebay for $119 with free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Spare-Ti...c1a38f&vxp=mtr
Old 07-22-2013, 05:37 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Just replaced my spare tire hoist. Mine, like everybody else's had the secondary latch that was a complete ball of rust. I ended up cutting the wire to get my spare tire off. The only issue I had with getting the old hoist off was that each of the clips used by the mounting bolts had rusted and broke. All the bolt would do was spin. I had them torched off and then put the new hoist in with new hardware. Very easy job overall! I bought mine from Gmpartsdirect . Com part number 2591164. I got it shipped to me for $115.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.