5.3 V8 oil consumption - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:06 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
5.3 V8 oil consumption

My 2007 TB 4WD w/ 5.3V8 is using a quart of oil to 2500miles. It has only 46,000 miles on it. I purchased it as a lease return with 27,000 miles from my local Chevy dealer with warranties. The car came from Michigan. My dearleship is doing an "oil study" on it. Dealership states oil consumption must at least a quart to 2000 miles for Chevy to make warranty repairs. What is the experience with oil consumption on the 5.3 V8? My build sheet lists the 5.3 as an option LH6 vortec V8 with active fuel management. Is this engine considered to be in the LS families or is it something from preveious designs? I would really like a 6.0L engine in it. Thanks for your help.

gofastjim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 05:22 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
All of the 5.3's DO burn oil. I'm not sure on the rate, but a quart to 2,500 miles does sound a little on the high side.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:46 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Red Jewel Tintcoat 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
I do believe there is a TSB on this issue. Search for it.. I think it it has to do with either the valve covers or the baffles.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:39 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Medium Red Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
Not all 5.3 engines burn oil. My 2004 Rainier has 105,000 miles on it, and the oil level is always near the full mark on the dipstick before I change oil and filter whenever the Driver Information Center tells me to do so. That's usually at about 7,000-mile intervals. If I had to guess, I'd say that my Rainier uses about 1/4 quart of oil between changes.

I do my own changes and always use Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic oil with an AC Delco filter. I use the same Mobil 1 5w30 in my 900-horsepower Camaro 1/4-mile drag-race car and have always been amazed by the absence of wear on internal engine components during the engine's annual tear-down.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LS)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
My Tahoe had a cracked intake manifold and used oil like that. It seems to be a GM problem as I have friends that are having the same problem.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Imperial Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
My TB EXT with the 5.3 also uses what I would consider a lot of oil. I have to put a quart in about every 2500-3000 miles. No other adverse effects, you cannot see burning oil, you cannot see anything leaking. It just burns it slowly and has since we got it. My 99 Silverado Z71, same drive train, did exactly the same thing. I had a Camaro with the LS1 in it and it also used about that much oil. All from new or nearly new. Dealer said its normal.

So I think it is more common than not. A buddy told me that conventional motor oil would help, but I tried it and it did not help any at all. So I switched back to synthetic.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali
Liquid Silver Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
oil comsumption

I have a 2006 Envoy Denali that was using 1qt every 1500 miles. Lucky for me it was a GMC Certified vehicle with the 100k mile warranty. To make a very long story short ~ the 1st dealership I went to did absolutely nothing, and made it clear they had no interest in looking at the vehicle. 2nd dealership went out of their way to make it right and fix it. Step 1 was to try changing valvle cover, as I guess the newer 5.3 had the PCV valve located underneath the inside of the valve cover. Wel that didnt solve the issue, so they went to Step 2. They changed out all internal engine components (lifters, pistons, rods, bearings, crank shaft) and so far so good. Ive driven 2k miles and it hasnt used a drop of oil.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Dark Gray Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
I am also currently doing a consumption test on my 5.3 they have said a quart every 2000 miles is normal but my difference I notice is when it turn it's self into 4 cyl mode for 5-10 mins and than switches out a big cloud of smoke comes out the back if I find out from the dealer that it needs fixing I will be sure to let you guys know what they said
Old 02-13-2012, 03:53 PM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali
Liquid Silver Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLEnvoy4X4 View Post
I am also currently doing a consumption test on my 5.3 they have said a quart every 2000 miles is normal but my difference I notice is when it turn it's self into 4 cyl mode for 5-10 mins and than switches out a big cloud of smoke comes out the back if I find out from the dealer that it needs fixing I will be sure to let you guys know what they said
I learned a lot about the 2 different dealerships I went to about this problem in the first 5 minutes of talking to them. A lot of these service managers assume that every customer is an idiot. Well there is this thing called the internet that enables customers to educate themselves prior to contacting them, which I did.
The 1st dealership acted like they NEVER heard of such a problem with these vehicles, and proceeded to hand me excuse after excuse as to why I was just s-o-l. I told them I will take my business elsewhere and will be sure to tell everyone about their lack of customer service. 2nd dealership right away said they knew what to do regarding the problem and would get it fixed, and gave me a loaner car in the process. Top notch compared to the other a$$holes. Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Dark Gray Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Yea thank this dealer I have been doing business with them for a while so they usually treat me pretty good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.