Rubbing Sound in 05 Trailblazer Steering Column - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Emerald Jewel Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Rubbing Sound in 05 Trailblazer Steering Column

I recently purchased an 05 Trailblazer LS, 4.2 L, 4WD with 50K miles. It's running great, but I noticed right away that there is a rub sound, like rubber on rubber at various points in the turn of the steering wheel. You can feel it more than hear it and it's not continuous, just feels like some rubber-on-rubber friction in the bottom of the column. Fluids are full and not leaking. I sprayed some silicone lubricant in the boot area where the steering column meets the floorboard, but that didn't correct it. I don't think it's anything serious, just an annoyance. Anyone experience this with their Trailblazer? If so, have you found a fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Lubegard solved my problem

I tried spraying wd40 where column passes through floor board with no result - I used lube guard a few months ago and no squeak since.

Below is info from another post found by typing " steering wheel squeak " in search bar above

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblazed View Post
I've mentioned before, mine started making that noise, I did the TSBs that GM released about lubricating the steering shaft etc with no results. Finally I put in a bottle of Lubegard "Power Steering Fluid Protectant" after taking out the proper amount of fluid so I didn't overfill it, and after a day or two the noise stopped and never returned. That's been 3-4 years ago. An additive that actually worked for me!

For what it's worth, I have a pretty good hypothesis about the noise... 4 years ago I was an active duty Marine who worked at a helicopter squadron of 13 CH-46E's (the ones with the two propellers at the top){Banana Shaped}. Anyhow, I happened to be a hydraulics and sheetmetal mechanic and was routinely inside these machines while the blades were turning. The entire thing runs on hydraulics, which are driven by 3 seperate pumps. There are two flight control pumps (boost#1 {primary} and boost#2). There is one main utility pump that powers pretty much every auxilary system on the plane.
When the boost pumps are running at flying speed, the hydraulic pressure is present at 1250to1500psi. When the pilots move the "stick" around, it activates the applicable control valve which lets fluid go from the reservoir too the appropriate actuating cylinders to move the blades in the desired direction, which in turn moves the entire helicopter in the same manner. Furthermore, when the pilots move the stick, it also makes the pressure dive and fluctuate as more fluid is demanded. You can hear the pumps whining (part of this noise)... That's the simplified version of how it works...but now on to the more idealogical noise diagnosis.
When the pilot moves the stick, the fluid rushes to the actuating cylinder. The resistance within the lines, check valves, and pressure reducers make this SAME noise. The power steering systems in our trucks are hydraulic and the steering wheel is set up the same (theory wise) as the pilots stick. It has a neutral position and when activated in either direction, it releases the fluid to the actuating cylinder (the thing that pushes the steering rods).
This is a heavy duty steering system that our trucks have and what you are hearing is raw power (hydraulic or steering fluid) transferring in the appropriate passageways to provide the desired direction of motion. Notice how easy the wheel turns? I can turn mine around with my pinky finger. It's more than likely a higher pressure system than that most cars.

Now I know this was a long explanation, but I figured it might help other's understand hydraulics. I know that before I was a helo mech that I had no clue of how or what hydraulics was. I really can't understand how GM's TSB Team could get something like this confused with seals and lack of lube; although, I do know they needed to make them more easily accessible to grease. Enjoy, and I hope this thread helps or eases many minds out there.

Disclaimer: I'm no great car mechanic by any means, but I do know hydraulics...

My2Cents,

JD
Sergeant, United States Marine Corps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 AM

Hi Donwkk - That's fantastic! I immediately ordered the Lubegard this morning on Amazon. I'll read the instructions carefully, but just curious... did you use the entire bottle and of course remove the same oz. of power steering fluid prior? I'm thinking a good clean turkey baster would work for removing the fluid. I can't wait to try it... sounds like the fix I've been searching for. Thanks so much!
Kevin
Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
The bottle is small - 4 oz - used turkey baster to remove like amount - got mine from Amazon - have an 04 and 06 so ordered a bottle for each and some other items to get free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-20404.../dp/B002MB6QJO
Old 05-17-2012, 01:16 PM

That's the same bottle I ordered this morning so glad I got the right stuff coming. I'm happy to hear it has been effective for you. I'm looking forward to getting it in the system. Thanks - Kevin
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
thanks guys I have this same issue , I will try this fix and let you know how it goes
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM

Just following up - I did put the LubeGuard in about 3 weeks ago. I believe it has helped, but not eliminated the symptom entirely. I still feel/hear the friction at certain times. Overall though, I noticed an improvement.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Inferno Red Other 2WD
Nice explanation but that is not what is causing the rubbing sound inside the truck. This is a known issue and has affected all of these vehicles.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=78060
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=24573
Old 06-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Ray - I know what you mean. I've read those threads too. I think I'm going to be one of those that just lives with it... not too big of a deal. If it gets worse, I'll consider taking it in and referencing the bulletins, but it's more of a small annoyance than mechanical problem from everything I read... it still drives fine and at this point I'm not willing to put $$$ into the wild goose chase. As I mentioned though, the LubeGuard did seem to help... it may be worth $8 to lessen it... was for me. For others who have had this issue (sounds like many), please share your solution if you have found one.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:10 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Inferno Red Other 2WD
Mine did it from the day I got it to the day I traded it in. It was one of those things i just got used too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.