4.2L Headers - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Exhaust Mods

Exhaust Mods Performance Exhaust Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
4.2L Headers

Here at Kooks custom headers we are striving to bring the absolute best products to the market. As part of that process we are always looking for what the next product should be.I would like to gauge the interest in a Stainless header for the 4.2L I6. I would like as much input from you as possible.

(Mods please add a poll interested Yes No)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Carbon Black Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by novajoe View Post
Here at Kooks custom headers we are striving to bring the absolute best products to the market. As part of that process we are always looking for what the next product should be.I would like to gauge the interest in a Stainless header for the 4.2L I6. I would like as much input from you as possible.

If you do a forum search, you will see hundreds if not thousands of posts from people requesting 4.2 liter headers. You will definately recoup R&D costs and turn a good profit, especially if you provide before and after dyno charts.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I know myself and at least 5 people that would jump on a header as the factory headers suck and crack.. With nobody else making aftermarket headers for the trailblazer ll8 i6 motor you would have a hold over the whole market for this suv and the other 5 suv's that use the ll8 i6 motor.

please make this happen!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Inferno Red Other 2WD
I doubt very seriously you will find any interest. There is a lot of talk about buying headers but when somebody gets something together to do a group buy it falls through due to nobody wanting to shell out the money.

The majority of the people who own these vehicles use them for their family cars and aren't willing to put out that kind of money for their family car.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM

make a header and out sorce it to china to be replicated!! iv notice this forum is slow and mostly coving oem issues with very little aftermarket support for anything!

Maybe post a facebook/ twitter pole as more people will see it!

I know im not the only 1% that would love to pickup a header for my daily as its got no balls compaired to my 96 supra and thats just a 3 litre i6!!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM

1951 GMC 3100 PU Truck
hot rod black turbo'ed 4.2L I6 2WD
In the original application - maybe 5% of the owners would be interested - mainly to solve the cracked manifold issue.

Providing proof by dyno testing is going to be key to getting an audience - this is where Stainless Works failed. Out priced what the market would bear and provided no proof.

There is a growing following for the 4200 - it is getting swapped into other vehicles - in particular:

-1949 - 54 chevrolet cars and trucks (GMC too)
-late model Toyota FJ's
-Jeeps

Link to a CJ swap

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=98739

and true hot rods 32 ford's etc.. not rad rods but high end full builds.

In engine swap applications a header will be well received.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efi-diy View Post
In the original application - maybe 5% of the owners would be interested - mainly to solve the cracked manifold issue.

Providing proof by dyno testing is going to be key to getting an audience - this is where Stainless Works failed. Out priced what the market would bear and provided no proof.

There is a growing following for the 4200 - it is getting swapped into other vehicles - in particular:

-1949 - 54 chevrolet cars and trucks (GMC too)
-late model Toyota FJ's
-Jeeps

Link to a CJ swap

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=98739

and true hot rods 32 ford's etc.. not rad rods but high end full builds.

In engine swap applications a header will be well received.
Well said!

My header is cracked right this very second and I'v been delaying fixing the header because I don't want to install another factory header that will just crack on me! Even if the header was a basic 6-2-1 style it would be amazing!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by novajoe View Post

For real? - There has been talk before, but nobdy ever delivered. It was usually left that we'll consider making one, if we get say 25 people to pre-order and pay, with no not even a proto-type in existance to indicate if there were any real world gains over the stock manifold. Has Kooks actually looked into something for the 4200/I6 engines or are we still at the vaporware stage with no so much as a test mule fitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Dockrey View Post
I doubt very seriously you will find any interest. There is a lot of talk about buying headers but when somebody gets something together to do a group buy it falls through due to nobody wanting to shell out the money.

The majority of the people who own these vehicles use them for their family cars and aren't willing to put out that kind of money for their family car.
Of course the problem with getting people to step up was the fact that in each of the isolated instances, there wasn't so much as a prototype nor sample in existance. - Most of the people willing to perform an install wanted to know if there would be worthwhile gains. It's a little tough to take orders with payment, when the product doesn't exist.

You're other issue will be that some of those willing to swap out their exhaust manifolds may no longer be on this site. We can't really say where they are by name, but they're not here. (There was a split, I'm inclined to believe that the actual reason lies between what has been indicated by each side, which is usually the case in such instances).
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM

1987 Non-GMT360 Other
n/a 4.2L I6 2WD
Just had a chat with Kooks. Lime-Swap could potentially pay the development costs on this, place a bulk order, and retail them. The question is whether or not it could be done at a cost that the market will bear. I'm sure at $750 several people would jump, as that's about what it costs to get a cracked manifold fixed at the dealer. What about $1000? How many people are left at $1500?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limequat View Post
Just had a chat with Kooks. Lime-Swap could potentially pay the development costs on this, place a bulk order, and retail them. The question is whether or not it could be done at a cost that the market will bear. I'm sure at $750 several people would jump, as that's about what it costs to get a cracked manifold fixed at the dealer. What about $1000? How many people are left at $1500?
Maybe get some real world testing before throwing a price tag out still gotta figure out what size pipe will be used the cost of the metal + welding + time = price / profit..

hell maybe make a cheap log manifold with a t4 flange and a simple v band wastegate flange for the start of a simple turbo kit

ps: whats the price on just the cnc cut exhaust flange?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.