Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

rear hatch air dam

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Becaff 
#1 · (Edited)
my rear hatch air spoiler fell off, does anyone have a good way to reinstall it so it will stay on, thank you.

#5 ·
ref rear spoiler

Mine has come off twice, once caused by an ice buildup and opening the rear hatch causing the spoiler to break, and the second time by a combination of high winds, (tornado), and a screw coming loose. I was able to super glue the bolt slot into the correct spot and attach the new spoiler. Lucky i quess. Be sure that the tabs that the spoiler attaches to are aligned correctly, they are pretty tricky. If you get ice on the roof, don't open the hatch until you clear it from the lip on top of the hatch.

#6 · (Edited)
We had this happen to us as well. We have not replaced the part, but decided that we could repair it. Although we did have to work on it twice.
The first time I was able to snap it back in place. It stayed in place for probably a year or two; then high winds blew it off.
The second time, I had to glue the captive bolts back in place, as well as the metal bar that goes across it. I used clamps to help it set in place.
It does help to work on it with the window open, kind of alternating between the whole hatch open and the window to allow you access to different places.
Several months later, it is still in place!
Oh yeah, and I had to re-do the brake light wiring, but that wasn't a big deal either.

#8 ·
I had the same thing happen twice to my 2005 Trailblazer EXT. First time replaced under 5 year-warranty coverage. 2nd time replaced by a Auto Repair shop($250 bucks)
Third time, I had enough. I made 2 cuts over the hinges on each side and threaded through heavy duty zip ties and cinched them tight and trimmed the tails off. I used two on each cut through.
Hadn’t had a problem since 2013.
Once the clips bend a little there is no chance of resetting them to hold.
Also, both problems I had were because of opening the glass with ice and snow on top.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.