Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

XUV roof/tailgate predicament

22K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  AviatorLt1 
#1 ·
Hey guys -

I got a new issue last night. After a day of helping a friend move in "full on truck mode" with the roof open and gate down, I went to put it all back to "suv mode" and I got the not-so-infrequent "Tailgate - See Manual" on the display.

Now, this issue is not new to me, or anyone who has owned one of these trucks for the past few years. It has been giving me this error more and more recently - whether I've been using the gate or not. Some days I'll get it when using the defroster or the wipers, and some days it will just be there.

As we all know, the solution is an easy one: put the glass up and keep holding the button for two seconds, then put the glass down and hold for two seconds. Viola! The DIC resets and you're good to go.

BUT - what do you do when the roof is open and you are therefor not allowed to put the glass up? I can't but the glass the up to reset the error code, but I can't move the roof to close it as long as the error code persists. Its a fun little Catch 22 that I've never experienced before.

I tried unhooking the negative terminal for a few minutes to reset things, but that didn't help.

Any sensor, motor, or something else that I can replace so the back end stops thinking there is something going on that isn't?

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Lift gate issue roof won't close

Can you still open the end gate, swing or lay down? You may have a chaffed wire. I just went trough a mid gate and end gate window regulator R/R. I could not open the rear gate, I had to take off the inside panel to get to the manual release tabs. What a PITA. I used a small open end wrench to help. There are two upper and lower. I had to do both several times to finally get it to swing open. When you get the panel off look at the reg assy, if the cables are out of whack that may be the problem. When Mine broke I didn't even know it was broke until my window started to slide down. Even after the install It did not work right away, I had to start the engine and let the computer do it's thing, then magically everything worked.

#5 ·
I am having the same exact problem right now I already replaces my regulator assembly and the window goes down with all of the buttons but it will not go back up because I get a message on the display that says close the roof? did any one of you guys figured out how to solve this because I also feel that if I close the roof I can reset the rear window into functioning correctly and im afraid to manually closing the roof and having it result into way more problems.

If any one has a solution to this please let me know rainy season is coming and I want to fix this as soon as possible thanks guys.

#7 ·
I have a 2004 that i got as a repo and i recieved it with problems. the back window was down and the membrain im guessing is what it is was unhooked and the back panel was off the tailgate. I hooked the computer back up and it didnt work, the window is down and i cant get the tailgate to unlach or the roof to open. if i could just get the window up i would be satisfied. any sudjestions?

#8 ·
Stuck in truck mode

Hello I am having the same issue with my XUV. The roof is open and the rear window is down and will not reset. How was the issue resolved. I have opened the tailgate manually which was terrible design and tried to reset holding down the window button and then up. Please help. Thanks

#9 ·
Hello I am having the same issue with my XUV. The roof is open and the rear window is down and will not reset. How was the issue resolved. I have opened the tailgate manually which was terrible design and tried to reset holding down the window button and then up. Please help. Thanks
You might try something simple like disconnect the battery and wait a couple mins and reconnect. Then start your engine and let it do it's bit. When I replaced the liftgate reg. it did not work at first. I was so pissed. So I did the procedure above and all was good. The other, Have someone work the switches while you check all the connections with a multimeter. There may be a broken wire that is not visible. You could try to apply power to the regulator motor directly. Disconnect the wires to the motor and find something to hook to the motor separately. The motor could be bad. If you can power the window up then you could close the roof. Good luck...

#10 ·
Still stuck.

Thank you for the reply. I tried taking the battery cable off for several minutes and then putting back on. I checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes. You can hear the relays coming in you can hear a click when you push each button. But it gives the code of close the roof when you try to put the rear window up or reset. Then if you try close the roof it says the see manual code. thanks for the advice.

#14 ·
Lift gate troubles roof stuck

This is a few years old. What is the problem. I get an email when someone replies to this thread. I went on you tube to look for answers on the opening of the lift gate. The inner panel has to come off to get at the release levers on the lock. read my posts. I tried to explain everything I did. It has been since 2013 since I was in there so I don't remember every detail.

#15 ·
This is a few years old. What is the problem. I get an email when someone replies to this thread. I went on you tube to look for answers on the opening of the lift gate. The inner panel has to come off to get at the release levers on the lock. read my posts. I tried to explain everything I did. It has been since 2013 since I was in there so I don't remember every detail.
I saw your reply to the thread started by XUVer, so I am missing something as I dont see where the procedure was fully explained. Mellis has a thread that goes into the whole deal. I already got it apart and guess ill be on my own for where the hell to find the 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 or whatever prong motor/regulstor this POS needs. As a fun bonus, the glass seperated from its mount on one side. I got the white glue for that...not sureif that may have been throwing sensor off except it does seem like motor is trying to work.
It gets warm and relay is powering it for a second upon each lift attempt.
Another worrisome thing-the overhead lights dont illuminate but im guessing that the computer blacks them out upon this roof/endgate fail. Your reply was useful as it did verify that the roof cant close if window is down, so thanks...My roof isnt open but only a few millimeters and my cluster is off for repair as it was draining battery.

#16 · (Edited)
I don't see anything on you tube that is actually XUV lift gate repair. I can't remember where I got the info about the lock release or the sensor. I know I had to search around for info. Try to google XUV lift gate stuck or roof stuck. I know the lock release levers are small and hard to push. My hands were to fat to get in there so I used an open end wrench to push the little buggers. I had to do both a couple times before the thing opened. Good luck and let me know what happens. Merry Christmas.

#17 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply and good tidings. I did open the gate without much heart burn. The biggest thing to know is a good description of the small tabs. They are small square silver (metal) tabs that are to be pushed upward. I used a short flat blade screwdriver on the bottom one and my finger on the top one. Both have to be popped and the gate will do its best to relatch so i used a blonde girl to pull on it. Now, dumb question...do we want gate to swing open or to drop down? Anyway, i got it swung open and stopped short of removing glass and regulator/internals. Cant locate sensors. And OMG, it looks like the 2006 is a one offpart # ( regulator). Murphys law is eating my brain. I may fab some wood to hold glass up. Or fill tailgate with concrete after breaking the glass mounts so window can be held upward. Sarcasm, hmm, not sure.

#19 ·
Hey, thanks for the pvc idea. Sounds like a winner as it wont be too hard on the glass. Yep, beer helps...this thing is driving me to drink hard liquor! This is the 3rd regulator according to my friend who is the owner. Something tells me when i get it back together, the tailgate wont sync up (work). The grease story is my luck. And isnt it funny how you can drive a vehicle all over hell and its the passenger seat, rug, etc that gets dirtiest with permanent marks, scratches?!! People...uggh

#20 ·
Believe it or not I only have 53849 miles on the XUV. I'm on the fourth battery. I had to relace the water pump once. I rented the special wrench to hold the pulley to keep it from turning. I have the 6 cylinder. That was a pain but I got it done in 2 hrs. People steal my hub caps too. I bought aftermarket but they flew off. Now I have some that are plain, no GMC sticker. They are staying on but rotate in place so they look goofy. I was going to silicone them
to see if they stay. My back seat is the ones that got beat up with kids puking and peeing when they were little plus milk shake and what ever else gets spilled.

#21 ·
I hear ya man...these things own us , not theother way around. If I had this luck in my first 40 years of driving, Id have strong legs from walking.
I got a reargate regulator coming , but im just sure when its installed that d!@M rear roof is still gonna be cracked open a tiny bit and not move. Such a joy.

#22 ·
Good luck with replacement. Watch out for sharp edges on the sheet metal. I cut my self. Then put masking tape on the edges. I forgot to mention my radio got a CD stuck in it a couple years ago and only the pass side front speaker works. Did your rubber strips fall out of the roof trim on the back side windows? When that happened I was doing 70 on the HWY. It made such a racket I pulled over to see what happened. It flapped against the side sounded like a wheel was coming off. I just ripped it out and went on. It is a nice ride but I wish I had gotten the regular Envoy. I rarely use the roof open thing and the tailgate is hard to open sometimes. The touch pad does not always work. I have to bang on the molding above it. It must be a bad ground. Also some times when dropping the gate down it does not want to latch right off. The latches will do this crazy cycling for a while then I have to reopen and close a few time to get it to close. :bonk:

#23 ·
Hey thanks....This game is 10% brains/and 110% luck sometimes lol. Funny story about the rubber coming off. Ive been know to rip rubber off :eek: I call it the 'car payment" when Im in the garage or ground under it. The weatherstrips are pretty good and i lubed them with POR companies Boss Gloss which is amazing stuff and doesnt dry out plastics like Armor all does since armor all contains alchohol! Dang, i wish I knew where every sensor is for roof/roofs and glass. Just tooo tired to deal with it and lifes other probs. And, im sure ill get to learn all about them, lol. Re E buttons on tail gate...same here. Have you tried just spuirting oil all over the mechanisms? Hec, maybe Thats advice is bad as the sensors may be oil coated on mie. Im sure careful oiling on all these parts is good for them. I like really oiling non E latches with large amounts of oil, they latch like new and last forevor that way. But NOOO, not on these things. What a design!

#24 ·
Rather than throw parts at it and "Hope" you fix it these trucks will set codes for the body side. It just won't turn on a light like the engine does. The codes will aid in the proper diagnosis of the roof system. Also it's not 1984 anymore.... simply disconnecting the battery and hoping for a miracle won't fix it for you.....

Chance's are a sensor is out or you have a wiring or module problem....

I've said it like 1000 times.... if you have an XUV either take to the dealer or invest in a set of the GM shop manuals.... you won't find info any other place.

#25 ·
I agree with all of that even tho Ive never taken any car to the stealership...yet. But this one is indeedfar more complex as you say. I fixed the overnight battery drain and was ready for the road and when i went to reset the window it went up/down for about 6 cycles never did it reset. It finally just stays down and the motor strains to keep lowering it.
I did throw a regulator at it and knew when I had it out that it wasnt the problem. The motor just turns in the window down position. Heres my question-Does anyone know where the sensors are for the roof and the rear window. Are they hall-effect or does the modules just sense motor drag?

#27 ·
I'm just looking for the pin number to ground out in order to trigger ROOF motor to close and the next pin I assume, open.

Was able to do so and prove my endgate motor IS capable of going UP after considering that to be failed (and no longer available) part. Nope if you jump pin 2 motor goes down, pin 3 motor goes up. No problem.

Assuming I'll be working in roof area where roof motor and BCM are, just need to know the connector and wire color or pin number please!

Cannot start RE LEARN without moving ROOF to closed. It's 80-90% closed now. Help me. Thank you in advanced.

#28 ·
XUV Conversation

I got another email about the XUV. I have been all over the net to find info. It just is not easy to find anything. Good luck in trying to locate a GM service manual. They have them listed for $350.00 but out of stock. Might try to go to the Dealer and speak with the service department guys. Most Parts guys will look something up for you and print it out if you are patient and are respectful. Try the simple disconnect the bat terminal. Reconnect, start the engine and let the computer run it's initiated BIT. Built in Test. If you have the owners manual it has the procedure in there. I know that seems too stupid but that is what I had to do to get my Parts in Sync. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.