Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Redline Struts

7K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Bulldog 
#1 ·
Did some searching but couldn't find an answer. Is there a significant differance between the $60 kit and the $110 elite kit besides the fact that the elite is made of stainless steel?

#11 ·
#12 ·
deathbynosleep said:
how hard do you have to push to close your hood? I would hate to bring my truck to get serviced and then have the mechanic almost break off my bug sheild to close the hood.
The one gripe I have about the struts is that when the hood gets within about 6 inches of closing, the force you need to exert goes to ZERO! The hood just falls though a point and slams itself shut with a surprising bang. A first time user is more likely to break your bug shield from the impact, or break their finger by not expecting it to fall.

#15 ·
Closing the hood isn't a problem with a bug shield, I have one on my Envoy with the Red-Line kit and haven't had any problems with service. You need only take one hand and start it down gently and the hood just drops.....with the prop-rod, I would have to lift it up about a foot and let go to close it and the impact noise was about the same.

#18 ·
Install was the same as the regular TB. I installed in about a 1/2 hour and that was because I was triple checking everything. The only part I didn't like on the install was the drilling.....I think I'd rather drill my arm then the truck. :crazy: BTW, I got the premium ones.

#21 ·
The redlines are the easiest there are to install. I only recommend to paint the brackets before the install. I installed mine and the brackets were visible in the hood seems after they had already been rivited on. I was able to mask them off and used some of my leftover black caliper paint and they turned out awesome.

#22 ·
I've got a set and like them. My install was a PITA. Seems the lock ring in the socket got dislodged and bent so the ball wouldn't easily snap in. Took me a while to figure out the problem and by then the snap ring was pretty bent up. Once I got it lined up it went together. Took an extra half hour or so to get it fine tuned. I emailed Redline and they were nice enuf to offer sending out a new set if I sent them back. At that point they were already installed and I figured I'd just leave it that way. Stand up response from Redline I thought.
So my word of caution would be if the ball and socket doesn't easily snap together check the snap ring in the socket. Live and learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.