Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Help! What's wrong with my trans or diff?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Sumdumguy 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2007 Trailblazer 4x4 that I use to pull a trailer. I am having an issue with the transmission or differential.

I was driving home on the freeway a few days ago, when my RPM gauge went through the roof like it was in neutral. I coasted to a gas station, checked the gears and reverse. Nothing.

Just before I was going to call for a tow, I tried the 4WD. Voila! It drives with the front wheels no problem. Drove it home with no issues.

Proceeded to drive it with the trailer for a few more days, maybe 120 miles. Ran perfect, kept it under 55 and had no problems.

Today I had some time to check it out. Switched it into 2WD and it ran fine, drove it all over town. After it had warmed up a bit, it started slipping like a clutch. Stopped, put it in 4WD, no problems. Drove it around in 4WD no issues, no slippage, nothing.

I'm thinking and hoping differential, but I don't know.

If anyone has seen this and could help me find the solution, that would be fantastic!

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Haha, I meant to say transfer case not differential...

It does make a nasty ratcheting noise when you put it in park, only in 2wd.

I don't know about the speedometer. I'll take it out in the morning in 2wd and drive it until it stops driving and see.

I'll report back then.

Thank you for the reply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.