Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

100w LED high beams

10K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Robert1101 
#1 ·
Well i am going to try to retro fit some 100W LED's for my high beams. Each light puts out about 7000 lumens. So with 2 thats 14000 lumens, which is equal to about 5 sets of HID's.

The only problem is cooling them. You have to put a medium sized computer heatsink to keep them cool. Not sure what or where or how i will mount a heatsink but hopefully i can get this to work.:cool:

#5 ·
1. Make sure your wiring harness can handle that. I dont
believe the system was designed to deliver 100W, but I could
be wrong.

2. Are you *sure* they are outputting 7000 Lumens and
not 7000K in temp color? I've been looking at some of these
and I havent run across a set that claimed 7000 lumens output,
just 7000K color temp.

3. Would you really need cooling on the HighBeams? I rarely have my
highbeams on for more than 5-15 secs at a time and typically less.

Post the results. I'm considering the exact same thing. 100W LED highbeams
with a 7000K color temp to better match the 8000K HIDs I recently installed.

#23 ·
1. Make sure your wiring harness can handle that. I dont
believe the system was designed to deliver 100W, but I could
be wrong. 2. Are you *sure* they are outputting 7000 Lumens and
not 7000K in temp color? I've been looking at some of these
and I havent run across a set that claimed 7000 lumens output,
just 7000K color temp. 3. Would you really need cooling on the HighBeams? I rarely have my
highbeams on for more than 5-15 secs at a time and typically less. Post the results. I'm considering the exact same thing. 100W LED highbeams
with a 7000K color temp to better match the 8000K HIDs I recently installed.
If you live in country you use your brights a lot more then you would think. Not saying thats the case but is really nice running backwoods roads at 55 m.p.h. with good light cover lol. Just saying.......... : )

#11 ·
Well they make 10w, 20w, 30w, 50w, and 100w leds. All of these will require my own wiring harness because they all require around 30V, and have to have a special power supply to power them.

And my saying is: "Go big or go home." haha:woot:

#22 ·
So, how'd this turn out? Burn her to the ground? No update, did you end up in the hospital or jail?

You do realize that 55w is the max legal for Highbeams in most states?

I'm sure there must have been some reason you chose to do this mod. Other than cause you could what was the reason? I bet the folks that meet you on the highway when your running your highbeams will be in for a real treat...

Sorry to be so negative about this, but it really doesn't make any sense at all and serves no purpose. Atleast none that I can think of that a good set of Aux. lights wouldn't server.

#29 ·
OK, per the link it is 100 1 watt bulbs on a single chip @ the cost of $500.00 each. You would have to redesign the reflector to get the light to point straight ahead, and cool the unit. True LED's run on the cooler side but the 30 volt power supply might be somewhat difficult to build.
Check back in 2012 or 2013 for updates........:crackup::crackup::crackup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.