Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

AFM/DOD question

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rcott01 
#1 ·
So my envoy is at around 106k. Still has plenty of power, rides and drives great. I noticed that when I am driving on highway the DOD kicks into 4cyl bc I hear the ton change and if I accelerate I hear the tons change back.

My question is when I am coasting after accelerating anywhere between 10-25 shortly after pedal isn’t pressed for gas it starts to tick repeatedly. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak but realized it want. I read on here that it doesn’t enable DOD when in 3rd fear so while it was doing it I shifted from d to 3 and it went away and never happened again.

It doesn’t tick at idle like a collapsed stuck lifter, is there anything I can do on the cheap side first to test other than drive on 3 locally lol? I know you can program out DOD but I’d hate to cause future issues since I know the DOD pistons have special lifters and the cam is not a standard cam. I consider my self slightly more mechanical than not but far from an expert mechanic.

My envoy is first experience with DOD so I don’t know too much just on the mechanics of it with different lifters the VLoM, etc. honestly don’t care for it that much, if I wanted better mpg I would have gotten a small suv with a 4 banger lol.
Has anyone tuned it out without issues? Has anyone fixed it without disabling dod or changing out lifters etc?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

See less See more
#4 ·
You can have it disabled in the tune , but eventually the lifters will fail and cause big issues. I bought a Saab 97x with the 5.3 really cheap because the lifters failed causing oil starvation and spun 2 rod bearings. If you are mechanically inclined and can do a cam swap, I would swap the cam, lifters, and valley cover. They sell dod delete kits but they are expensive. You can get a set of ls7 lifters for $100, gen 4 4.8 valley cover for $30 and a used stock 5.3 cam for $75. If you look around you might be able to find a deal like I got....ls2 cam, lifters, valve springs and keepers, pushrods, and ls2 valley cover from a 06 gto with 30,000 miles for $140....and a little bump in power.

#5 ·
Did you need to have it tuned with the ls2 cam? Is the power increase noticeable? I’ve been wanting to swap the cam in my gto for a while now I can kill two birds with one stone although I would like something a little rowdier in the Envoy if I’m gonna do all that work decisions decisions lol

#6 ·
I would assume you would tune it for the ls2 cam because if your getting rid of afm/dod you have to have that tuned out so might as well tune for the bigger cam too. Im in the same situation. I have 143,000 on my denali and i know eventually the dod lifters are going to be a problem. But at this point im going to wait for it to fail then deal with it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
My DOD wasn't active so I didn't have to get it tuned but I did. The guy who tuned it said that since the ls2 wasn't very radical that I would have been fine, but I wanted the speed limiter turned off and transmission tweaked. I did notice a pretty big gain in power across all rpms. I wanted a bigger cam, but didn't have a lot of cash at that time and needed to get it put back together quick. I found it lightly used and cheap that's why I ran the ls2. But I am very happy with it. I sounds stock, has a bump in power, and I average 18mpg around town when temperatures are above 35 degrees.

#8 ·
If it were mine I would remove the DOD hardware before it fails. Because when it does fail, a lot of times the crank and rods get chewed up or a rod gets thrown through the side of the block. Mine had 2 rods that spun the bearings and chewed about 3/8" out of the crank.....I replaced the whole engine. At the junkyard I go to i see a lot of the lh6 with a rod through the side of the block. Imo if you want to keep an aluminum block in it, fix it before it breaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.