CBI Offroad Fab. - Rear Spare Carrier - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > Off-Road

Off-Road For suspension, wheel, and tire questions DIRECTLY related to Off-Roading.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:56 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Offroad Edition 4.2L I6 4X4
CBI Offroad Fab. - Rear Spare Carrier

Teaser Pic!
---------------------------------------

It was about time I had looked for a carrier for the full size spare. I was tired of carrying it around on the roof for two reasons. First, the weight and hassle of getting it up there. And second, the wind resistance... my gas mileage is noticeably lower with it on the roof. The hitch gate was one option, but while excellent, I feel its a bit bulky and expensive. If I was getting a custom bumper made, I would have gone the swing-out route. But I liked Alek G's custom job, as it was lightweight and simple.

I've been working with Steve at CBI Offroad for the past 4 months trying to work on a design that worked for the Trailblazer. He generally specializes in Toyotas, but was happy to work with me. I send him my desired dimensions, and key specifications, and he began working.

I had a few particular things I was looking for. First was a pass-through receiver, so that I can use a receiver shackle mount for the rear. Second was a hi-lift mount. I didn't want wobble, I wanted to be able to see out my rear view mirror, and I wanted to be able to open the glass without having to swing down the carrier. Lots of stipulations, I know. But Steve produced:

Note the pass thru receiver. Steve reinforced the central tube of the carrier to withstand recovery forces.

Instead of a hitch pin, the male end of the carrier is threaded. The bolts on either side are grade 8, and they take out all wiggle from that joint. Further back, you see the receiver tube. This is even cut at a angle to preserve the rear approach angle and act as a skid if necessary. Further up, you can see the tilt mechanism. This has a hand knob that allows you to tighten the carrier, and again get rid of rattles.

Use with the tire leaned back and the gate up. It's a bit of a tight squeeze to get into the trunk, but it's certainly workable.

The view from the mirror. There's still lots of viewing room out the rear window.

Ah yes, the license plate. This is a temporary solution for now. I plan on fabricating a bracket that throws the plate off to the side and relocates a light. But that's a project for another day.

(Yeah, I was so excited to put it on, I completely forgot to remove the old spare... don't worry it's gone now... but so is the daylight. No more pictures today.)

Steve was great to deal with, as he understood my concerns and specifications, and delivered with a great product. I only have two gripes. One, is that I wish the carrier dropped down a bit more. Currently my shackle bracket interferes with the tightening knob. So, it can be lowered further if I take out the shackle bracket. Still, it cannot be lowered to a level point, which could be useful. The second gripe was shipping length. It was shipped by freight through Fastenal. I guess because I was anticipating the shipment, it seemed to take forever (two weeks). Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Overall I'm very pleased. If anyone is interested, Steve takes orders by e-mail (found on his website http://cbioffroadfab.com/) and then he makes them custom to your specifications. Plus, its a great value. I paid $320 with shipping included. Thanks again Steve for a great product and great customer service!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

... IF
you think you're ready...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
thats really nice man. props!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Expedition White 4.2L I6 4X4
Great work!

Gets me thinking to order one, have it shipped to my Niagara Falls address, pick it up on my way down to TECORE, and not pay any taxes on it!

A few questions when you have a moment:

1. To clarify, in the down picture, it is being restricted by the recovery shackle mount correct? How much further would it lower with the shackle mount removed? (Mine doesn't extend to horizontal either).

2. I assume the upper glass can open (no picture). Is there enough room for 33s?

3. Is the wheel mount universal or do you need to specify the bolt pattern? And what is your wheel offset/backspace, I couldn't find it in your profile. I'm thinking how would he work with different offsets in terms of making sure the tire is not too far or close to the vertical bar?

4. How is the HiLift mounted? Any chance of a close up of that?

5. Including shipping, what do you think a full fab+delivery time would be?

Thanks again James

AG

Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
James' that carrier really makes your truck look aggressive! It shows that you are serious about off road use. I really like the way the hitch can still be used for recovery (or towing) Jay
Old 03-12-2009, 11:37 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

You're in luck. I took a bunch of pictures today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekG View Post
1. To clarify, in the down picture, it is being restricted by the recovery shackle mount correct? How much further would it lower with the shackle mount removed? (Mine doesn't extend to horizontal either).

That's a picture of the interference. I just checked it without the shackle bracket, and it goes down a little past 50 degrees (or so).

Quote:
2. I assume the upper glass can open (no picture). Is there enough room for 33s?

Yep, theres at least 3 inches of clearance. Plenty for 33"ers.

Quote:
3. Is the wheel mount universal or do you need to specify the bolt pattern? And what is your wheel offset/backspace, I couldn't find it in your profile. I'm thinking how would he work with different offsets in terms of making sure the tire is not too far or close to the vertical bar?
The studs are set for the pattern I specified (stock). You can specify whatever pattern you'd like. Made to order!

Quote:
4. How is the HiLift mounted? Any chance of a close up of that?

You're in luck... wingnuts! The bolt on the driver side is mobile, but captured so it does not fall out.

Quote:
5. Including shipping, what do you think a full fab+delivery time would be?

Thanks again James

AG
That would be something Steve would have to tell you. From what I know, he has a schedule of when he makes the spare holders. It took an extra week to powder, then three weeks for shipping. All in all, it took a bit over a month from when he started. But from what I understand, he just rolled out this new version of the carrier, which may have delayed it more. You'll have to talk to him though... not sure really.

... IF
Old 03-13-2009, 01:13 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Wonderful! I wish for more rear visibility all the time. I had the HitchGate off for a few months after the Sierra trip, and just put it back on last week. Big blind spot back there now. That height for the tire is great.

Any mods possible for gas can carriage?

Oh, you might think about locking hitch pins. Only1Balto had a shackle swiped from his apartment parking lot one night when he only had a removable pin like that.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
THATS SICK! That is exactly what I want my fab guy to do...

OffRoadTB.com
Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
Any mods possible for gas can carriage?

Oh, you might think about locking hitch pins. Only1Balto had a shackle swiped from his apartment parking lot one night when he only had a removable pin like that.
I've toyed with the idea of a gas carrier, but after talking with Steve, I'm going to go a different route with that. More on that later this month... hopefully.

Now that I saw the interference issue, I think I may store the shackle in my drawer until I'm in a situation that may need it. The extra drop could be handy when loading groceries... I mean... rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordinho80 View Post
THATS SICK! That is exactly what I want my fab guy to do...
I would be very surprised if someone could make these for less than Steve because Steve produces these a few at a time. I talked to a local fab guy about one-offing a hitch carrier, and he quoted me much higher... but that's because it would have been his first (and prob only) he'd make (added cost for R&D).

... IF
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
My guy is a friend of the family. He's pretty much only charging me cost of material. I'm going to show him these pics and see what he says, though...

OffRoadTB.com
Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Now, THAT is a tasty burger!

The GB ended, but PM me if you want one!

GB also ended, but PM me if you want these!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in