Hello Forum - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Hello Forum

Im new here and hope i can find an answer to a problem question i have...I have a 2004 trailblazer with the 4.2 engine....I have just replaced the t-stat in this vehicle....Heres the problem

I had the battery completely disconnected..+ and -... for 5 hours +....long story but thats when i finally got the install finished...NO the install didnt take long but got called away from the project and thats how long it to to get back to it...

When i got done with the install and hooked up both battery terminal and started it up...it was a successful install...KINDA...no leaks or anything like that...Engine heated up just fine..coolant levels are fine and all appears to be well and done....

I turn the heater on and the engine starts to surge down to 300 revs then up to 1000 revs...up and down and just about dies...if i shut the heater off..it doesnt do this.....its just fine...it sounds like the compressor is locking up..So i start it back up and turn on the heater and it starts to surge again..I unplug the compressor and its all fine...my hunch was correct..but WHY all of a sudden...i cant believe this is the problem...So i call the Chevy dealer and talk to service...They told me that with having the battery disconnected for that period of time that i will have to bring it in and have the computer rebooted...Is this true...or could something else be wrong...When i plug it in to the scanner..I get NO valuts or codes of anytime..Is it just bad luck and the compressor just when bad or is going bad or did the computer loss its programming and needs to be taken to the dealer to be rebooted....Hopefully there is a GM mechanic on here or someone that knows the correct answer to this question/problem...or maybe someine else has had this issue..

Vehicle runs fine as long as the compressor is unplugged...if i plug it back in..the engine surges while in park and will eventually die....This has only happened since i changed the thermostat...Anyone able to help....

Great site and hope to here from someone soon or see a post on this issue....Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Western Canada Chapter

2003 TrailBlazer and '09 Kadillak Eskalade __
sExY Dark Gray Metalic 4.2L I6 4X4
Welcome!

You need to clean your throttle body. Everyone here has done it

https://forums.trailvoy.com/articles....ticle&artid=91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bill

Let's get a Meet going!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Will try that...but can someone anwser this

Why has it started doing this since and ONLY since i changed the t-stat..It never did it before

Why it doesnt do it when the compressor/dryer is unplugged....Verified this by starting it up..started surging/chugging...unplugged the dryer and it runs just fine...plug the dryer back in and it chugs and surges...did this a few times and each time i unplugged the dryer..it ran perfect...plug it back in and it chugged...is the compressor/dryer directly related to the throttle body...Not questioning anyone...just trying to learn and understand why....Thanks

Old 10-23-2009, 01:11 AM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Many, many posts on this. It has nothing to do with the t-stat. It is all about disconnecting the battery and the t-body. Seach for dirty throttle body.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Geez, I take five hours off for a date with my wife and the world falls apart! (I'm going to the desert for the weekend also - no questions answered Sat/Sun, either. )

Your dealer's service advisor is a guessing, undertrained goof. Reboot indeed.

Article:
https://forums.trailvoy.com/articles....ticle&artid=91

Technical reasons:

1) The I6 engine was designed without a traditional PCV valve, so crankcase blowby gets the back of the throttle body throat horribly dirty/sticky.

2) The PCM has a built-in table in memory that predicts the angle it will have to place the butterfly valve to obtain certain RPMs. It has a feedback loop that tries to keep the RPM constant, especially the 600 RPM idle speed, under varying loads, especially the on/off load of the AC compressor. But it's more successful at nailing the RPM exactly if it customizes this memory table slightly according to what it sees the performance actually being. This is called an adaptive process.

3) The PCM also controls when the AC compressor cycles on and off. So it can bump up the airflow and fuel injector duty cycle to anticipate the compressor load it's about to add. If it didn't anticipate, it would be lagging, and in a control loop that results in overshoots (temporary too-high RPM) and undershoots (temporary too-low RPM).

4) As a vehicle ages and the throttle body gets stickier and stickier, the PCM slowly adapts as best as it can. Eventually, the stickiness causes so much hysteresis that the PCM can't adapt any more, and the former smooth idle performance gets erratic, with overshoots and undershoots, and gets to the point that the engine can just stall and die when the AC compressor kicks in. When the AC is off, the PCM can handle the throttle better because the butterfly valve isn't moving as much, if it even needs to move at all. The PCM can handle tiny RPM changes with fuel injector changes alone, without needing to move the relatively large (physically) butterfly valve. A vehicle whose idle gets bad after 30-60K miles has this going on.

5) A vehicle whose throttle body is getting sticky, but which hasn't gotten to the point of erratic idle, is at risk of losing its adaptive table in memory. This happens when the battery gets disconnected for any reason. The PCM goes back to square 1. It has the factory built-in table of butterfly valve performance, but the throttle body is now horribly sticky. The adaptive algorithms in the PCM programming can't handle real-world performance that's so much different than the engineer's models predicted. If the engineers knew the engine would be depositing so much tar on the throttle body they would have given us a PCV valve. So the formerly well-running engine with an idle table that had been developed slowly over time (even though the throttle body had been deteriorating), is now presented with a too-sticky throttle body and it just gives up. It wasn't programmed to be THAT adaptive, so it reverts to the factory programming. And that, combined with the sticky throttle body, can't accommodate the AC compressor's varying load. But it can do OK with the no-compressor mode.

Sorry for the long technical essay, but so many people demand it that I might as well write it down (again) so maybe I can find it myself in a future search. I agree it *is* a counterintuitive result after a battery disconnect.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Cashmere Metallic U929L 4.2L I6 4X4
Roadie,
Excellent technical write-up. This is why you are the GMT-360 Guru. I think it would serve the community well to create a new Throttle Body sticky and make this article the first post. The throttle body problem is so common that the Administrators should consider the possibly of making it an advisory for noobies when they first register. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to copy the write up and save it to my Trailblazer directory on my hard drive. Again, excellent explanation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LT Bumper & Fogs, Oil Skid Plate, Bilstein HDs, Quad Head & Tail Lights, LED Hood Lights
Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 AM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
GREAT REPLY...thanks for explaining...guess i know what i will be doing after work today....Will let you know how it turns out.....Thanks again
Old 10-23-2009, 09:25 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Cleaned the TB and all is good...Thanks alot to all for the info..
Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Moondust Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
05 tb

I cleaned the tb and it ran good for a bout 2 hrs. I shook the tb and it had a slight rattle. I cleaned it a 2nd time with no luck still the same. I ordered a new tb. Do you have any other suggestion?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
No. What exactly were your symptoms?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in