still overheating - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:34 PM

still overheating

When I got my 2005 tb, after a few trips it started overheating. It was fine till
I got on the highway and ran around 70. Than the gauge would go up about 3-4 marks over the center. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, fan clutch and radiator. Now it goes up to 2-3 marks. When I slow down or stop it goes back down. I'm going to be pulling a camper this year , should I worry about it? Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2018, 12:43 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Put a scan tool on it and see what the actual temp says.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:39 PM

over heating

Ill try that. where should I take readings?

Old 07-01-2018, 06:18 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Where you hook the tool up at the OBD port under the dash, driver side.

It looks similar to this:

Old 07-03-2018, 01:33 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I had some issues with overheating. If it's leaking coolant, you may have a bad hose or hose clamp somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 12:59 PM

leak

not leaking coolant, put on a new lower hose when I put in new rad. The gauge does go back down , It's been over 100 here for the last 3 weeks. Could it just be to hot to keep the temp down?
Old 07-04-2018, 07:45 PM

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
[QUOTE=clockmanbill;1590665]When I got my 2005 tb, after a few trips it started overheating. It was fine till
I got on the highway and ran around 70. Than the gauge would go up about 3-4 marks over the center. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, fan clutch and radiator. Now it goes up to 2-3 marks. When I slow down or stop it goes back down. I'm going to be pulling a camper this year , should I worry about it? Any help?[/QUOTi had the same problem with my 08 envoy just installed a transmission oil cooler that helped drop the temp a couple of degrees
Old 07-04-2018, 11:43 PM

Envoy GMC Envoy SLE
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
[QUOTE=thelcpl87;1590785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockmanbill View Post
When I got my 2005 tb, after a few trips it started overheating. It was fine till
I got on the highway and ran around 70. Than the gauge would go up about 3-4 marks over the center. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, fan clutch and radiator. Now it goes up to 2-3 marks. When I slow down or stop it goes back down. I'm going to be pulling a camper this year , should I worry about it? Any help?[/QUOTi had the same problem with my 08 envoy just installed a transmission oil cooler that helped drop the temp a couple of degrees
The gauge has a stepper type motor that are notorious for being inaccurate. Perhaps you should try a laser hand held temperature gauge and see if the temperatures match or are close to the same. My guess is the stepper motor on the gauge is faulty
Old 07-05-2018, 12:31 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Electronic cooling fan clutch

These vehicles have the terrible electronic fan clutch that apparently was so troublesome that GM abandoned it and went back to a mechanical fan in 2008.

My 2004 TB will not pull a small camper in weather above 80 degrees without overheating and I tried almost everything, including a overhaul of the entire cooling system and exhaust. The only fix that finally worked was a Fan override that requires bypassing the computer to force the fan to run full speed.
Someone said they put a 2008 mechanical clutch on the 04 and it worked. I have not tried that one.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:02 AM

I got on the highway and ran around 70. Than the gauge would go up about 3-4 marks over the center. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, fan clutch and radiator. Now it goes up to 2-3 marks. When I slow down or stop it goes back down. I'm going to be pulling a camper this year , should I worry about it? Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in