Vector tuning = Check engine light?!?! - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Engine tuning and/or modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:19 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdolson
I was also told to only run PREMIUM fuel with the Vector tune.
Bad fuel or low octane will cause knock.
Can you get some octane boost or 94 premium in your area?
Since it did happen after you filled up it could be bad gas.

I would give Chris a call also to see what he thinks. I'm up north with the crappy winter blend also but have not seen any engine codes.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Don't have any 94+ around here, and I'm not buying boost for every tank. I'll try booster today, but that's it. If it's sensitive to bad 93 gas I'll have Chris tune it for 91 to be safe. It's not worth the performance gains to deal with these hassles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2006, 12:22 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Also, from the VMS info/install sheet, what does this mean:

"Crank Variation Relearn:

If the vehicle sets the Crank Variation code (PO 0315), a relearn will need to be done by the dealer. This may also be done by a local auto repair facility if they have a scan tool that will support the new GM computer."

Is that the code I set off? Or something else?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:07 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBSSTony

If the vehicle sets the Crank Variation code (PO 0315), a relearn will need to be done by the dealer. This may also be done by a local auto repair facility if they have a scan tool that will support the new GM computer."

I was just going to ask if you did the crank sensor relearn or not. Although no-one can tell you for sure until you actually get the code read, this is a very high possibiliy that its the culprit.

Reason being, each car's crank-position sensor isn't in the exact same location. Thus, if your PCM thinks the crank is in orientation 'A', but its actually a few degrees off from nominal, your engine's ignition timing will be off. This relearn procedure allows the PCM to re-sense exactly where the crank is at, and thus remarry your new PCM to your specific vehicle. Normally the variance isn't that far off from one vehicle to the next, but I have seen several cases where a relearn is necessary when doing PCM swaps (back in my GP days).

Old 01-24-2006, 02:00 PM

Damm that sucks...wish Chris wasn't on vacation would like to hear from him on this.
I would be going nuts...not because of the tune...just for the lack of answers...and you don't want to go to the dealer yet..for warrenty reasons.
Chris seems to be on the up&up.I think he'll do eveything he can to get you running right again.
Hang in there man.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:25 PM

Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Hey, if you get this resolved, please let me know by PM. I'm due to install my VectorTune TCM/ECM this weekend!

Bob

Quote:

Old 01-24-2006, 02:31 PM

I thought this was normal. If you pulled you computers and sent them to Vector you had to do a re-learn. If you have it installed in person (where the modules are never removed from you SS) then you would not have to do the relearn.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:05 PM

Silver 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKTBSS
I thought this was normal. If you pulled you computers and sent them to Vector you had to do a re-learn. If you have it installed in person (where the modules are never removed from you SS) then you would not have to do the relearn.
If you do the core charge swap you have to. If you send yours in or have them do it in person you do not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 TB SS...98 Camaro SS... 07 Cobalt SS
Old 01-24-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Well, had Onstar look up the code for me. It wasn't the gas cap. It's a LEVEL 1 Engine and Transmission Controller warning! Knock alert. Do not tow, do not accelerate quickly, please see your dealer immediately!

WTF?!

You gotta be kidding me! This is what I paid for? I suppose I'm the only one with this problem?

Can the dealer fix this with my Vector tune in place?

Isnt this a different code than the crank position sensor one we are speculating about?Wouldnt it have thrown that code on startup after the core was swapped? Just throwin that out there.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:30 PM

Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
No word from Chris White on any of this? I realize he's on vacation, but there's also Kirk at his shop that may be able to help.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:54 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
After talking with Kirk at VMS we think it's a bad (lower than advertised octane) tank of gas and/or the 10% ethanol blend everyone uses here. The VMS computers are very sensitive to getting the 93 octane they need. I won't know for a week or so until I burn through this tank and refill. Kirk's recommendation was to use 100% gas - nothing with the 10% ethanol blend. He said pure gas is a much safer bet. Plus, being in WI our "winter blend" is crap to begin with. If you have 100% 93 octane you should have no problems. Personally, I may go with a 91 tune and still run 93, that should give me a good margin for error, and Kirk said it's only a loss of about 8HP peak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in