Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

K&N CAI on 06 Denali 5.3

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  petevw 
#1 ·
I added a K&N from a 2006 TBSS to my 06 Envoy Denali 5.3 and why it is loud it only seems to gain a little up top. Anyway I seem to have lost about 1 mpg....also noticed the filter gets HOT like the heat shield does nothing. More I looked around I dont even know where its getting air from, sure not getting any from outside the engine bay. Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix?

Also lately started having a minor lets call it a "fish nibble" miss at idle...I have read this is from the cai.....any more info on how to fix this?

#4 · (Edited)
I added a K&N from a 2006 TBSS to my 06 Envoy Denali 5.3 and why it is loud it only seems to gain a little up top. Anyway I seem to have lost about 1 mpg....
CAI's are more for "looks" and a lot of noise than anything else. The throttle body can only pass just so much air and is the determining factor in making more HP, along with more fuel.

As you found out, they only help at high RPM, which most of us seldom do, and even then it's only a few HP.

Your loss of MPG most likely is a result of having a heavy foot after the CAI install to "see how well it works".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.