Spline failure in front differential, please post here. - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > AWD Drivetrain

AWD Drivetrain AWD repairs & problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Spline failure in front differential, please post here.

For anyone with an AWD SS or from what I'm gathering the other models with the same IFS setup as we have there is a large problem with spline failure from the half shafts on these vehicles both on the differential side and at the sleeve side. What happens is upon assembly the grease that is put on the splines spins off during normal operation of the shafts and the splines become dry and causes metal fatigue due to friction and the eventual failure (sometimes catastrophic) of the splines in the differential thereby rendering the vehicle immobile and costing the owner a large amount of money for timely repairs. The splines basiclly strip themselves and take the bearings and neighboring parts with them when they fail. There is also an apparant problem with attaining the parts for the repairs to be done and something has to be done about it. A simple grease fitting would probably eleviate the problem but there is no known way to lubricate a part that desperatly seems to need it without taking apart the front end and as far as I'm concerned thats not a normal maintenance thing that the average consumer can do.

What I'm trying to do and the whole reason for this thread is to find out the frquency of this failure and get people to post that it has in fact happened to them and create something to bring to GM so there may possibly be some sort of remedy for this be it a campaign or a TSB. This does affect everyone with the AWD setup whether you're under warranty or not and like the failures of the 4L70E transmission it seems to be more of a matter of "when" than "if". Being under warranty does help with the cost out of the consumers pocket but there is still a significant down time for the repairs and the hassle of being without your vehicle.

If you've had this problem or know someone that has with any of the shared platforms please post on this thread. ONLY THE SPLINE FAILURES PLEASE. All you really have to do is post mileage at the time of the failure, any modifications if you feel it neccessary or if it might've affected the failure, time of loss of vehicle, final cost of repairs, and the situation in which the failure happened.

I'm hoping to use this thread to bring to GM so lets try to keep it on topic and not flame people or act the fool and lets try to keep it grown up and drama free. THIS IS TO TRY TO BENEFIT EVERYONE WITH THE AWD PLATFORM

If you've had this failure or know someone that has had this failure please post it so we as a group have a record of this and might be able to have something valid to bring to GM. The failure in question should not be happening at the low mileage it has been if at all and the "magic number" seems to be anything over 40,000 miles.

Any help be it in links to other sites, your story about it or otherwise will be greatly appreciated and I don't want to have to ask the moderators to keep the garbage posts off of here. Lets keep it clean, grown up and on topic please as this might end up helping everyone whether they've had the spline failure yet or not.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
I would have been mightily impressed if you had run a search and listed the 20-30 members this has ALREADY happened to and that they've already posted about it. There is also a member here that works at Dorman, who is working to offer an improved set of aftermarket replacement parts. We'll get cheaper replacement parts a LOT FASTER from Dorman than we will EVER get satisfaction from a bankrupt GM.

But for your own technical curiosity, we offroaders are suffering as much as the AWD SS owners.

Here is THE BEST writeup I've seen so far on one failure mode and how to fix it:
http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/te...4wd-disconnect

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
As I would've been MIGHTY IMPRESSED had you actually paid attention to what you read when I said I just want information posted here so we have a place to tally it all up. I know everyone is suffering hence the thread that I plan to take to GM thru someone that might be able to get things done, I'm aware that its been covered before. GM should be supplying the parts and paying for the work not outside sources and if people continue to go elswhere and not bring it to GM's attention as well as a few media outlets which I plan to do it will go unchecked and we ALL will suffer. I am attempting to build a case to take to GM, not just whine about it on a forum.

Thank you for the link, that will cover the 4WD models.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
I can edit out any off-topic posts, even mine - don't worry. But the 4X4 drivetrain and offroad forum regulars usually won't be looking in an SS forum. Rather than cross-post there, you might need to search and PM them to post here. There are also some inactive members who used to post about this issue, including a mechanic who did ne of the first comprehensive writeups after he worked on a number of trailvoys with the issue over a year ago. First I'd heard of it.

You might also consider posting on the forums at offroadtb.com, where James Downing is an admin.

Good luck getting GM to notice. Their designers surely messed up a lot of systems on the platform, didn't they?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
I appreciate it. I want to create one central place for links to other peoples threads, write-ups etc for ease of reference and I didn't want to post and cross thread since there is no general driveline section on this forum (why would there be?). I'm just one person and I'm planning and actively searching for other places to look and I'm going to need help in that department. When I find threads I'm going to post the links here and I want to encourage others to do the same so if and hopefully when someone from GM or Consumer Reports pays attention they'll have an easier time of it.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Onyx Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Me too...

My front differential just went South last night and I got an estimate from the dealer for around $2400.

I'm at 73,700 mi.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indi-GO Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSShank View Post
My front differential just went South last night and I got an estimate from the dealer for around $2400.

I'm at 73,700 mi.
That's insane, don't do it. Find a used one with equal or lesser mileage and younger too at a junk yard and have that installed. I did that and the diff was only $250 I think.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:02 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Carbon Black Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Multiple Spline Failures

Hi Guys,

My intermediate shaft has failed at 70k and 99k (I shreaded it today).

My suggestion is pull the passenger side cv shaft out and grease the intermediate shaft every 6 months.

Oh and NO HARD LAUNCHES!

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in