Cost to replace exhaust manifold gasket? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Exhaust Mods

Exhaust Mods Performance Exhaust Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:41 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Cost to replace exhaust manifold gasket?

For those that have had this done, what did it cost you?

I have a 2002 I6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 04:32 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Do you have any experience with fixing things yourself?? I only ask because it's fairly easy if you've done work like that before. Took me about an hour if I remember right. I had to remove the air tube, manifold shield, & move a few lines out of the way. I can't remember exactly but I think I had to remove the upper rad. hose for some stupid reason.

But to answer your question exactly I wouldn't pay more than 1 hour worth of labor for that work. Good Luck
Old 10-25-2007, 04:48 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
All depends if one of the exhaust manifold bolts break, and they tend to do that after a few years on a vehicle. Be sure to hit all the bolts & nuts with penetrating oil the night BEFORE, if you're going to try it yourself. - Haven't pulled mine off the Envoy, but experience with other vehicles tells me some liquid wrench or WD40 the night before is a big help.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylab View Post
All depends if one of the exhaust manifold bolts break, and they tend to do that after a few years on a vehicle. Be sure to hit all the bolts & nuts with penetrating oil the night BEFORE, if you're going to try it yourself. - Haven't pulled mine off the Envoy, but experience with other vehicles tells me some liquid wrench or WD40 the night before is a big help.
I did forget to mention that one.... I got lucky though that they weren't too bad
Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 PM

Exhaust

I had mine done at my mechanic, he charged me 2.4 hours thats what the books says inless your a wizard at exhaust systems, at $55 an hour + manifold gasket $20 = $152..... Wait tell you get it fixed, then cut your resnetor off !!! Sounds pretty cool for no aftermarket parts!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I had my fan cluth and exhaust manifold gasket replaced at the same time under warranty from the stealership back on 2/28/05.

The invoice shows:
- 11.59 for the gasket
- 41.80 for 9 new bolts
- 200.00 for labor just for the gasket replacement job, not the fan clutch.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 PM

I guess the plus for me I did used to work at an exhaust shop a few years back.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
My Inline 6 2003 has a bad exhaust manifold gasket or loose bolts or something. I'm just going thru them right now trying to see if I can tighten the bolts and make the fluttering exhaust leak go away. What's the torque on these bolts supposed to be so I can tighten them up? I suspect it's the 4th or 5th header pipe (reading from the front cylinder ot the rear) that is leaking, at least that's where the warm air feel's like it's coming from. Te noise seems to completely disappear once the engie warms up. By the way I have about 90,000 and engine is bone stock.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:04 AM

15 ftlbs X 3 passes -REAR-10/8/6/4/2/1/3/5/7/9/11-FRONT

Heat shield - 44 INCH pounds

I am about to replace mine as well; 71,300 miles.

Chris
Old 11-06-2015, 01:33 PM

2009 GMC Envoy SLE
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I heard there was an Extended Special Warranty on this site for this engine for the exhaust manifold but it said only up to 120,000 kms. My 2009 GMC Envoy in-line 6 has 125,5000 with a cracked exhaust manifold so I was hesitant but went in to the dealer to ask. They checked my V.I.N. to the warranty and it was covered up to 180,000. They had extended the warranty. While the truck was in, they broke a bolt and had to remove the head. They had the truck for 1 week instead of a day (I received a loaner vehicle from them) and drove away with no charge! I can't say this will work for everyone but it is worth a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in