E-fan installs - Page 5 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Engine tuning and/or modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:10 PM
PCMForLess.com - Sponsor

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Summit White 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
I haven't heard of any one having problems cooling even while towing. If you live in AZ and want to tow a huge trailor you need to watch the temperature gage. Other than that I doubt anyone will have any problems. Hell we have sold tons of these and mention of cooling problems yet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

704-307-4227
Tuning, Battery Cable Upgrades, intakes, e-fan kits, transmission cooler kits and more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinPCMforless View Post
I haven't heard of any one having problems cooling even while towing. If you live in AZ and want to tow a huge trailor you need to watch the temperature gage. Other than that I doubt anyone will have any problems. Hell we have sold tons of these and mention of cooling problems yet!
I doubt many people use the TBSS for extreme towing. Most of the time ~30+ MPH road speed elimanates the need for any fan. Except for towing and extreme conditions. So for those of us scratching our heads over the fan choice GM made there is a reason: Everyone has to suffer for the all conditions that a TBSS may encounter.

Towing & GM Pickups. The electric fan is replaced with a mechanical fan with the towing option on the 1500 series. The 2500 and 3500 series only have a mechanical fan.

Remember the mechanical fan arrangement for the hot weather LT-1 police cars of the eighties which didn't even have a pump hub? (LT-1 was designed specifically for electric fans.) Chevy came up with a special fan pedestal and drive belt for a mechanical fan in them.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:40 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwagon View Post
I doubt many people use the TBSS for extreme towing. Most of the time ~30+ MPH road speed elimanates the need for any fan. Except for towing and extreme conditions. So for those of us scratching our heads over the fan choice GM made there is a reason: Everyone has to suffer for the all conditions that a TBSS may encounter.

Just to back up what has been already been said...

I work as an application engineer for a major cooling component manufacturer. I work in the powertrain cooling division (Radiators, Charged Air Coolers, and Oil Coolers) for commercial vehicles. Although it's not the automotive division, the engineering work is similar. In many cases, the fan has already been selected before we even analyze the cooling predictions. Sometimes we suggest efans over the clutch fans and vice-versa. The heat rejection values we use to make the cooling predictions come from engine data sheets at peak power and peak torque at extreme ambient air temperatures. The fan/cooling package is designed for the worst case scenario.

If you think 5-7 hp from the clutch fan is a lot, you should see what it is for a Cummins or CAT engine. The 28" - 32" fan found in the buses and big trucks can rob up to 80 hp from a 300-450 hp engine when it's fully engaged!

The only way to tell if the efans pull as much air as the stock set up is to compare the fan curves from the fan data sheets. The only real way to determine the fans efficiency in the truck is to run a cooling prediction. Things like the shroud design, fan placement (distance from the radiator), warm engine bay air recirculation, transmission cooler placement, etc. all have an influence on the radiatorís performance... not to mention the radiator's fin & tube design.

As long as the efans are pulling similar amounts of air at similar engine RPMs (when compared to the clutch fan), aren't placed ridiculously close or far from the radiator, and uses a proper fan shroud design, then the efans will more than likely get the job done 99% of the time.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 AM

So The efan set ups are worth it? I'm in Houston and like to tow stuff alot, and it can get pretty hot sometimes, the efan will still do the job?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:27 AM

Not Towing? Go electric.

This question is all that matters for the folks towing: You have heard the mechanical fan engage at freeway speed while towing? Perhaps on a long uphill mountain pull where you are almost to the top going flat out 15MPH under the speed limit and the dreaded fan locks up and slows you down more?

Zubes may comment on this:
What is the CFM of a mechanical fan? It is over 5000 CFM at engine speed where the most heat is generated.
The CFM of e-fans is known and constant. Less than 5000CFM

Look at the blade angle of that 19" mechanical fan. Think of it turning at 3000 RPM. It will move more air than the electric fan. (GM likes to run this TBSS hot. The computer commands our fan at 74% of engine speed at 236 coolant degrees. 225 is 29% and 210 is 7%, zero fan below this temp.)

2 square feet of radiator surface will have 10560 CFM flowing over it at 60MPH minus the restriction of: the grille (Intentional to slow the air down) and the two radiators it has to go through. To do any good the mechanical fan has to exceed the ram airflow through the radiator. Otherwise it can slow down the airflow. The noisy fan is pulling way over 10560 CFM at 60MPH!

Pulling a long hill even at speed stuff heats up fast! This is the only area that the mechanical fan will open a can of whoop butt on it's electric replacement - At road speed where the CFM of an electric is under the road speed airflow.

Not all is lost. Alvin at PCM for less can tweak your factory tune to command more fan % for the mechanical diehards. This will help the AC and engine temperature with the above GM light fan use. (The trans cooler he sells is also highly recommended for towing.)

Now you have information to decide how hard you will run your TBSS while towing for fan choices. Are you that 1%?

Oh yes, This is what I tow around.
http://www.trailblazerss.com/forums/...l=dump+trailer
Old 03-15-2008, 06:34 PM

Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
i just won't tow anything when i get the e-fans on there....
How about that?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 PM

Who cares? the e-fans on mine are set to turn on at 160. Clutch fan or efan they will both be on if the thing is over 160 no matter what hill or how much you are towing.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:22 PM

Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquiddi View Post
Who cares? the e-fans on mine are set to turn on at 160. Clutch fan or efan they will both be on if the thing is over 160 no matter what hill or how much you are towing.
True that.. but i really dont have anything to tow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in