4.2 to 5.3 Swap In Progress - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:32 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Lightbulb 4.2 to 5.3 Swap In Progress

Well my 4.2 liter inline 6 threw a rod this morning and i lucked out finding a 2004 5.3 liter for 400$ with PCM and complete harness, so now its time to start the swap, I've already got a pretty good idea of everything I may need
Only deal is the 5.3 came out of a pick up so I have to check my oil pan clearances, and im probably gonna just splice in the 4.2 BCM and Fuse panel into to 5.3 wiring harness I know it takes a little more time and its a hell of a lot more than anyone really wants to do but at the same time I'd rather do this than spend 600-1200$ on a complete wiring harness, and seeing as how i can't find a whole lot on anyone going thru with the swap because somehow they feel its not at all feasible, well I guess its about time to show you that if you want it you can do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 PM

2002 Olds Bravada
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
Where have you ended up on this so far? I take if yours is a 2wd? If not, I'm sure you have figured out the TB oil pan has the differential attached to it. Also, I6 frame has the crossmember in a different location than a V8 one.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA View Post
Where have you ended up on this so far? I take if yours is a 2wd? If not, I'm sure you have figured out the TB oil pan has the differential attached to it. Also, I6 frame has the crossmember in a different location than a V8 one.
Well I have only gotten as far as pulling motor and trans and getting lm7 ready I had quite the parts list to search for and I'm still looking for a set of motor mounts but everything is looking good I'm going to 3in exhaust with electronic cutout and getting a tune to delete some o2 sensors and the get valve as well as the smog equipment. Pretty much looking at doing a ss power train swap once I get it all done. But for now I'm just gonna use the 4l60e that it came with. Yeah it's only a 2wd I went ahead and got the oil pan tho got headers y pipe all the belt driven accessories I'll get some pics posted soon. But come to find out it threw a rod and I had all the pieces in my oil pan it was pretty wicked.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:58 PM
No longer with us

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
The new motor had a thrown rod? Or the 4.2? Only reason I'm confused is because you've already stated that the 4.2 threw a rod in the first post.
If it's the new motor then that's a bummer.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:16 PM

2002 Olds Bravada
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
Doing similar right now but I'm doing a complete TBSS AWD frame swap on my wife's Bravada. Will take measurements on the frames to finally have a definitive answer as to what exactly is different. Pretty sure all that is different is the trans crossmember location; engine mount bracket holes appear to be in the same spot and same configuration...
Old 04-16-2014, 07:32 AM

Im coming along hust trying to find the full motormounts with brackets not having much luck.

Tried uploading photos of old block damage and new block but not having much luck on my phone hope to get them up soon tho.

RYANA. keep me posted on your swap I would like to see hiw it comes along and itd be nice to know the exact differences on the crossmemeber or whatever else
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0tb.jpg‎
Views:	1036
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	23833  
Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer
Black Other 2WD
Just subscribed. I have to do 5.3 engine swap as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MODS: CAI | HID | DRL Killer | PCM4Less Tune
Old 08-23-2014, 01:25 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Sandstone Metallic Other 4X4
99% complete 02 trailblazer ls with lq4 6.0 here. The crossmember will have to be modified , as the trans will be a few inches further foreward. The engine mounts I have were purchased from Nalley Brunswick GMC in Brunswick Georgia. The oil pan and oil pump pickup tube was purchased through eBay, as it is necessary if you have and want to keep 4x4. The driveshafts were ebay used units as well (just replaced u-joints) from any v8 trailblazer based (swb) truck, al la envoy denali, bravada, rainier, 97x 5.3, etc. Exhaust came from OBX, which fit beautifully. I also installed an ls hotcam kit, double roller timing chain, and high volume oil pump. The only warning I can give to anyone doing this swap is remember to use the correct o-ring for the oil pump pick up, as they are not the same.
Also, I have only 1 issue, and it's the ebcm/bpmv mounting on the driver's side frame rail. After the swap, with the headers installed, the driver's side exhaust practically rests on the abs pump/module. I have yet to see any photos as to where this device mounts on an ss.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:07 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBudgetSS View Post
99% complete 02 trailblazer ls with lq4 6.0 here. The crossmember will have to be modified , as the trans will be a few inches further foreward. The engine mounts I have were purchased from Nalley Brunswick GMC in Brunswick Georgia. The oil pan and oil pump pickup tube was purchased through eBay, as it is necessary if you have and want to keep 4x4. The driveshafts were ebay used units as well (just replaced u-joints) from any v8 trailblazer based (swb) truck, al la envoy denali, bravada, rainier, 97x 5.3, etc. Exhaust came from OBX, which fit beautifully. I also installed an ls hotcam kit, double roller timing chain, and high volume oil pump. The only warning I can give to anyone doing this swap is remember to use the correct o-ring for the oil pump pick up, as they are not the same.
Also, I have only 1 issue, and it's the ebcm/bpmv mounting on the driver's side frame rail. After the swap, with the headers installed, the driver's side exhaust practically rests on the abs pump/module. I have yet to see any photos as to where this device mounts on an ss.
Would you happen to have a parts list for this swap i have a 5.3 and a 4l80e tranny already. now i just need to get the other parts together. thanks for the help.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:43 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Black Granite Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
4.2 to a 5.3

The 5.3 is a strong and good engine i have 193k miles and she still pulls good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
4.2, 5.3, engine swap, swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in