Tunes for Euro specs? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:33 AM

Tunes for Euro specs?

Hi,

I'm not so familiar with the whole PCM tuning, but I've been trying to learn about it here on the site, since my last car was a BMW and you just basically bought a new chip to it, installed it and drove off...

But here's my question. I see lot of options for these tunes; increased HP, smoother shifting, better mpg depending on the customer needs.

What I'd look in a tune would be better mpg and smoother ride, but seems like most of these tunes are made for US gas, whereas here in Europe the gas comes in 92/95/98/99 octane, and in Finland we don't even have the 92 octane available.

Anyone know about the tunes with options for 95/98 octane gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2006, 08:48 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
My guess is maybe a 93 hot tune. I am sure the tuners sponsored here can help you.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:54 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
JMal, how is the octane rated on Europe? There are 2 ways to rate octane. They are the motor and reserch method. US gas is now and has been for years an average between the two. To get reserch octane [which is the higher number of the 2 methods] take the sticker on the gas pump +4 Thus 87,89.93 becomes 91,93,97. Iwould be very interested to know how Euro-gas is rated. Thanks Jay

Old 09-02-2006, 01:23 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
i did not know that ... here in japan ..you get red pump or blue ... ha ha thats it one is gas and one is diesel..
Old 09-02-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay boy View Post
JMal, how is the octane rated on Europe? There are 2 ways to rate octane. They are the motor and reserch method. US gas is now and has been for years an average between the two. To get reserch octane [which is the higher number of the 2 methods] take the sticker on the gas pump +4 Thus 87,89.93 becomes 91,93,97. Iwould be very interested to know how Euro-gas is rated. Thanks Jay
Thanks, I didnt know that. I did a lil research and this is what I found out about Finnish gas at least. You got RON (Research Octane Number) and MON (Motor Octane Number) as you said. So with that in mind I checked my local oil refinery specs for gas and these were the numbers on the sheet:

Unleaded, sulfur free 95 (RON) octane corresponds to 85 MON octane
Unleaded, sulfur free 98 (RON) octane corresponds to 87 MON octane

Link to PDF files is here: http://www.neste.fi/tuotteet_tuoteli...079&trnro=130#

Just click the PDF icon and you'll get a multilingual version of the specs.

Hope this helps, as it helped me...
Old 09-02-2006, 08:05 PM

Looks like Euro-gas is rated using RON. To compare to US gas subtract 4 from you'r octane number. That means 88,91,94and95 for comparson to US gas. Looks like you Euro guys have it a little better over there as far as octane. BTW how much does a gallon cost? Our's has come down lately to about $2.44 /gal. Jay
Old 09-03-2006, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Looks like Euro-gas is rated using RON. To compare to US gas subtract 4 from you'r octane number. That means 88,91,94and95 for comparson to US gas. Looks like you Euro guys have it a little better over there as far as octane. BTW how much does a gallon cost? Our's has come down lately to about $2.44 /gal. Jay
It's only a 6.32USD a gallon... (you see why I'd like to have a tune that gives me better mileage)
Old 09-03-2006, 10:54 AM

WOW!!!!! Gas at $6.32!!!! Tanker trucks must be well guarded! LOL! Any idea why such a price difference? From what I have read here almost everyone that has a tune is very happy with it. I am saving up to get one myself. I just spent 229 on an areoforce gauge and need to refill my mod fund. Thanks Jay
Old 09-03-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
WOW!!!!! Gas at $6.32!!!! Tanker trucks must be well guarded! LOL! Any idea why such a price difference? From what I have read here almost everyone that has a tune is very happy with it. I am saving up to get one myself. I just spent 229 on an areoforce gauge and need to refill my mod fund. Thanks Jay
You need to ask from your goverment how they managed to keep the oil price so low for you guys + economies of scale of course.

The Finnish price for gas is in the upper half of the range, I think you can find more expensive gas at least in Norway and UK.

Let's see some pics of your new mod!
Old 09-03-2006, 07:04 PM

Still waiting for the gauge to arrive. Should be this week. Will try to post a pic when I get it put in. Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in