WI Dealer giving me the BS on OCI? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:01 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
WI Dealer giving me the BS on OCI?

Got a call from the dealer yesterday asking how the truck is running and blah blah business BS. Anyway, i took notice that the decal on my windshield has the truck slated for a 3000 mi oil change out. Now, i've read on here that even conventional oil in these here 4.2L I6 motors could easily go 5000 miles between OCIs, actually that 5000 Mi is recommended by GM...

So i ask him why it's set for 3000 miles and he gives me this here answer:

"Because the weather in Wisconsin has a very extreme hot and cold weather, we recommend a 3000 mile OCI instead of a 5000 mile OCI."

BS???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 12:06 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Red Jewel Tintcoat 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Actually, GM recommends you follow the OLM. That would take you to probably around 12,000 miles.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
the Oil change monitor- one of the factors it uses to determine oil life is cold temps and hot temps...
but the computer keeps track of the engine temps- not the atmospheric temps.
But it is feasible that if its -10 outside- your engine will run cooler- and I think the temp sensor tells the oil life monitor that startup temps were cold, so it deducts for this....... People that live in these conditions can tell us if their engines reach 210 at all.
But Id let the Oil life monitor do the monitoring.
the oil will easily go 5000 with city and highway mix
But remember that the TB has 7 quarts to use up...
My friends 07 Tahoe- has the typical 5 quarts... he did plenty of driving between New Mexico and So Cal, and his oil light came on at about 9000 miles. thats when he changed it... and it sounds normal since it was alot of Highway...
Im currently at 8000 miles on my oil- when I last changed my oil- I took a trip down to Guadalajara mexico which was all highway- about 3,000 miles worth....so the fact that my light hasnt come on is attributed to alot of highway driving. ...
if it was me- id wait for the light-
for your peace of mind- make your own decision.
dealer- wants $$

like 2000SLT said- it is possible to hit 12,000 miles.
With all highway driving, and 7 quarts- its very very possible.
I sure have seen my light come on around 11,000

remember- that other GM cars have 5qts, and their lights will come on sooner since they have less OIL wear out

Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 PM

1969 Rambler Rogue
Camo Other 2WD
My Dealer in Lake Geneva WI. told me to bring it in at 3K for the first oil change then after that wait until the oil life indicator said 5%. I am waiting to see how many miles that gives me.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Red Jewel Tintcoat 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiSS View Post
My Dealer in Lake Geneva WI. told me to bring it in at 3K for the first oil change then after that wait until the oil life indicator said 5%. I am waiting to see how many miles that gives me.
I hope you're leasing it.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:42 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
BS???
Q: How can you tell when a dealer is spouting BS?
A: When his mouth is moving.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:15 PM
TrailVoy Guru

yeah alot of dealers tout 3000 mile intervals-
about 2 yrs ago- GM sent out a notice to dealers- essentially saying to use the OLM and not the old 3000 miles changes.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:18 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiSS View Post
I change my Mobil 1 religiously at 5k intervals, have have not seen the DIC indicate less than 74% (summer) and 64% (winter). Just for info, not for argument's sake.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:47 PM
TrailVoy Guru

like in bearcats case- the vehicle is programmed to calculate the oils life in DINO oil..... not synthetic. so if you put in synthetic- it still calculates as if it were dino.
the GM vehicles that calculate oil life as synthetic are those that CAME from the factory with syn. like corvettes caddies, and I think even the TB SS
The oil life algorithm is tailored to the engine it is in- to take into consideration the dynamics and recommended oil of that particular engine.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:57 PM

I've never seen my OLM light come on. I change my synthetic oil about every 5000 to 6000 miles. I also clear the OLM every time i change it. I'm not trying to start up a big debate but there is no way i could wait till my light comes on i don't care how much GM has spent testing there system. Of course i'm old school to.

Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in