Words of "Caution" to potential Saab 9-7x Aero purchasers.... - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > The Lounge > TrailBlazer SS Chat

TrailBlazer SS Chat The TrailBlazer SS Owners and Enthusiast lounge. (no tech questions)

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:33 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Indigo Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Words of "Caution" to potential Saab 9-7x Aero purchasers....

...after just reading about the Saab 9-7x Aero for 2008 (aka Saab's TBSS clone) I have to offer this up for consideration -

- I bought a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (5sp manual) for my wife last year. What the Hey is a Saab 9-2x ?? well, in an even stranger twist of logic than the 9-7x, Saab/GM was also "sleeping" with Subaru at the time and while in bed decided Saab needed a 4-door compact hatchback in their lineup to compete with other Euro-offerings so they tapped Subaru and "borrowed" the Impreza wagon and called it the 9-2x. Linears were normally aspirated but Aero's (Saab's performance name) got all of the WRX Turbo/intercooled goodies PLUS some of the STi's handling/suspension sprinkled on top as well. This love triangle lasted exactly 2 years (2005-2006) before they cancelled it. Its actually a very nice car and a blast to drive ... but

* Saab looks at it as the bastard stepchild. Dealer Service Dept's are clueless on servicing it properly. I've resorted to the local Subaru dealer because it basically IS a Subaru. I can guarantee the service experience to be the same with the 9-7x Aero. Think a Saab dealer is going to know how to tune an LS2 ....fix the 4L70e when it grenades ... or the Posi rear end ?? HAHAhahahahaha

* Replacement body panels are basically non-existant "in stock". Anyone on the Saab 9-2x board that has had any body damage has waited weeks if not months for replacement panels. Im sure with the limited #'s of 9-7x's produced to date (~8,000) the same will be true for this vehicle as well

* Depriciation - Well, lets just say my wife will be driving it for quite a few years. WRX's of the same year that are not finished as "nice" as the Saab nor have the STi goodies resale for more.

I just wanted to give my opinion being a Saabaru crossbreed owner

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 04:21 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
I would think your concerns about dealer service for Saab branded GMT360s would be accurate, based on my bastard stepchild experience.

When I brought my beloved 1990 Ford Probe GT (which was in fact mostly Mazda MX6) to any Ford dealer for engine service, it would almost certainly be towed to the local Mazda dealer for repair, and brought back to Ford for me to pickup. But Mazda dealers couldn't take it directly for warranty repairs (unless I wanted to pay).

Parts that were special to the Probe GT (not shared with the Mazda) were like freaking unobtanium - hard to identify using Ford parts lookup and even harder to get. I loved that car, and always had a good Mazda experiences prior to it (and since), but the frustration of owning a bastard stepchild...ugh.

Thing is - I LIKE the looks of the 9-7X Aero...deeply discounted (which I'm sure it will be), I might have bought it instead of my TBSS...

2006 TBSS LS 2WD Silverstone Metallic, VMT, RPM Level V, PTC Converter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2007, 09:14 PM

I could always run up the highway 20 miles and get you all the Saab 9-7x parts you wanted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in