SS Muffler Guts - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Exhaust Mods

Exhaust Mods Performance Exhaust Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:17 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Liquid Silver Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
SS Muffler Guts

Anyone taken off the SS muffler yet and had a look inside? I remember reading about how the muffler is supposed to be straight-through, but I have yet to see proof of this. Also wondering about the resonator in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 12:35 AM

Yes, the muffler is straight through. The inlet and outlet are not lined up so the internal pipe angles but it is straight and perferated. The resonator appears to be 2 chambers with sound deadening.

Considering the factory must comply with the Federal noise pass by requirements, it's nice to see they went the extra mile with the straight through design and tuning that is quite when cruising but aggressive when you are on it.

See Ya
Old 01-10-2006, 12:50 AM

Thanks for replying. Curious how you are privy to this info. Did you take your mufflers off and see them? Not doubting you, just wondering.

I'm also wondering how Magnaflow is seeing any gains if the stock system is straight-through. Do the two chambers in the resonator plus the angle in the main muffler impede flow that much?

Old 01-10-2006, 01:16 AM

Yes, I've seen the system off the truck.

Concerning any aftermarket system, there is hp. to be gained but the system will be louder. For most people this is fine. I posted previously a large percentage of the typical exhaust system restriction comes from the cats and primary tubing. (30%-70%). Thus, as seen with almost all vehicles with a performance system from the factory, the aftermarket can find 5-20hp with a cat. back, but 15-30hp are normal gains with a complete system.

Good Luck.
How are the seats coming? I will check that post.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 AM

Sorry, I see I didn't completely answer your question. Although the stock muffler is straight through, there are other sources of restriction: bends, changes in cross section and the resonator.

If you look at the kick up after the muffler, it has significant shape changes for clearance, so there is definitely opportunity there (although clearances will be reduced). Not sure on the resonator effects.

There is an expensive looking heat shield on the kick up that ends up between the pipe and the passenger side air spring when in the vehicle.

Good Luck
Old 01-10-2006, 01:28 AM

My lower back is still hurting from my ride to McDonald's earlier. I've done a little more observing and it looks like the seat bottom is crooked (listing to starboard), but the seat back is straight up and down. This means that it appears the crookedness is intentional (they knew what they were doing), and anyone driving will have their right hip dipping to the right and their torso bent to the left, in order to drive straight. Not cool.

Back to the exhaust....it looks like not much will be gained by going to an aftermarket system. I wish I could drive the truck for more than 15 minutes, I'd like to get under it to see what the exhaust system looks like.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in