SS paint chipping problem - Page 13 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior repairs/modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackss
Guys I will forewarn you. I had flaps installed before I drove off the dealer's lot. As a daily driver, the lower portion of the doors is still knicked up--and I do mean knicked big time. As much as I hate to do it, I have a pair of running boards, believe they are Aero Tec or some name similar being painted black to match the SS and I will install the boards and flaps once the dealer repaints in the spring. If you are going with strictly flaps you will be disappointed.

Had a 2002 LTZ with boards and flaps and never had chips ever--it was also used as a daily driver.

2006 Black AWD LT SS
2005 Magnetic Red Vette Z51
1996 Black Impala SS

I know about chipping (wait, no I dont), sorry, my 02 LT has running boards and I think even with flaps you will kick up a lot of rocks and road crap to the rockers of your shiny new truck. Personally, if I get an SS I will try and convince the dealer to put on running boards instead of the film, as I like the look of the running boards on TBs, and the black ones look really good on SSs too. It makes them seem even lower to the ground which is another bonus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 02:26 AM

Thinking through the alternatives, I have found this product:

http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.c.../PROD/EA/56281

I like it because you can paint them; unlike the rubber flaps described above. Not that the rubber flaps are unfavorable....just sourcing the "best alternative." Seems like they would be more rigid as well.

Thoughts?

On a side note, I still think GM needs to get off their mopey "whaaaa, we have no money" attitude and take care of their customers!

We have a BMW X5 4.6is, AWD with W I D E R wheels/tires than the SS. The X5 has flares that encompass the ainticipated problem areas for rock chips. 30K miles on that...and NO rock chips. Nope, nodda one.

My 93 Typhoon, also AWD does not have rock chips. 130K miles on that truck. So as you can tell, Im a little miffed to why the SS gets "peppered" as well as the problem not being solved.

All I can say so far, is I am glad I leased the SS so when I turn it in I can tell GM to stick their up their a**!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:50 PM

My dealer says I have to pay for the running boards for this fix. WTF?

Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlazer2005
My dealer says I have to pay for the running boards for this fix. WTF?

maybe because the TSB doesn't cover the 05's?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:29 PM
No longer with us

2011 Chevy Tahoe
Mocha Steel Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt04TB
maybe because the TSB doesn't cover the 05's?
I think it does. 0308111002A is the TSB number I found.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:38 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoster
I think it does. 0308111002A is the TSB number I found.
opps, sorry.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:46 PM
No longer with us

2011 Chevy Tahoe
Mocha Steel Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt04TB
opps, sorry.
No need to be sorry! wonder why the dealerships don't all do the same thing. Like, if dealership (A) gives you the boards, then all dealerships do it the same way. another mystery of GM.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:56 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
Red Jewel Tintcoat 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackss
Guys I will forewarn you. I had flaps installed before I drove off the dealer's lot. As a daily driver, the lower portion of the doors is still knicked up--and I do mean knicked big time. As much as I hate to do it, I have a pair of running boards, believe they are Aero Tec or some name similar being painted black to match the SS and I will install the boards and flaps once the dealer repaints in the spring. If you are going with strictly flaps you will be disappointed.

Had a 2002 LTZ with boards and flaps and never had chips ever--it was also used as a daily driver.

2006 Black AWD LT SS
2005 Magnetic Red Vette Z51
1996 Black Impala SS

Do you have any pictures of these running boards?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:34 PM

3M

When I bought my 02 Trailblazer in 03, I figured that the previous owner lived on a dirt road. The rear, bottom of the rear doors were ruined with only 20,000 miles. Hundreds, if not thousands of chips. The truck was pewter so touch up paint looked better than the original scratches, but still not that good. This model had the plastic non-painted rockers.

When I started to see chips on my black 06 SS with less than 1,000 miles, needless to say, I was a litttle pissed. I was able to put two and two together, realized that the previous owner never lived on a dirt road and found out about the service bulletin. Thank-you Trailvoy.com. (priceless)The dealer acted like they never heard of a service bulletin until I brought a copy in.

Long story short, my truck is painted and the 3M protective kit seems to be working well. When the paint delaminates which, according to some, it will, I will take it back. I take what I can get from my dealer and when they agreed to paint and install for free, I wasn't going to tell them to wait for the paint to cure. The guy at the bodyshop teamed up with me and we will cross the delamination bridge when we get to it.

The kit consists of 10 pieces. (5 on each side) One on the front fender, one on the front door, one on the rear door, one on the back of the rocker and one on the front of the rocker. You can definitely see them, if you are looking, but would not notice it if you were not looking.

My tune and CAI from Vector should arrive on Wednesday. All I want to do is drive.

Hope that this helps.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:38 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
My 02 has 51k on it, and as much as I love it, this may be the straw that broke the camel's back, the lower doors on both sides look like they were sandblasted, they're all the way down to the primer and in some places, the sheetmetal. It used to be spotless and 8k later, it looks decrepid. I think I'm going to go car shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in