One More Tow Question! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > Towing

Towing Towing with your TrailVoy

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:17 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Graphite Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
One More Tow Question!

Okay, here are my last couple of questions and then I am jumping in to take the quads on their first trip!
As previously stated, I have the I-6 EXT with 3.42 gears. I recently purchased an 8X14 trailer to tow my 4 wheeler and side by side. The trailer weighs appx 1100 - 1200 lb's, 4 wheeler weighs appx 750 lb's, and side by side weighs appx 1000 lb's for a total towing weight of 3000 lb's.
Question #1. Can the TB safely tow this weight?
Question #2. Do I need trailer brakes for this much weight? (This is a single axle trailer)
Question #3. Do I need a weight distribution hitch or sway control bars?

I am definately going to get the Trans cooler, I'm just curious if the other items are essential?

Thank you guys very much for your input and recommendations!!! Thanks

OHP688
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 PM

2005 Chevy Silverado
Silver 5.3L V8 4X4
That should not be a problem to tow.
I think anything over 1000lbs needs a trailer brake setup. Check the trailer and see if it has brakes. The units are fairly cheap and easy to install.
I doubt you will need any sway control and I think over 4000lbs should have weight distribution hitch, but it may not even work on the trailer you have....
Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Carbon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I've pulled a 3 place snowmobile fully loaded and also a 2 place enclosed with 2 sleds 7-8 gas cans and all our gear and what not and have no problems. The weights have been somewhere in the 2800-3300. The 3 place did have brakes though(definately the way to go). Had no problems at freeway speeds 70-75 but the electric brakes are worth the $ for safety.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
#1 - It should be an easy tow. With the Trailblazer, it will hardly even be noticeable except when braking. Just remember to give yourself LOTS more room to stop.

#2 - This question is best answered by asking where you are going to tow. Laws vary from state to state and province to province. There are specific limits in every jurisdiction you are going to be traveling through. Some can be as light as 1000 pounds and some as high as 4000 pounds, so you see how much it varies.

#3 - You should be fine without them. The Trailblazer can easily handle the 300 to 350 pounds of tongue weight you will need to prevent swaying. GM requires weight distribution hitches and sway bars above 4000 pounds.

The specification you need to watch is the GCWR or Gross Combined Weight Rating. This is the weight of the vehicle, passengers, cargo, fuel, trailer and trailer cargo. It varies a bit but runs around 10,000 pounds. (Check your door label for your actual GCWR.) It is easy to forget that a 3000 pound trailer can edge upward pretty quickly to 4000 pounds when you add fuel in the ATV tanks, plus optional gear, plus all the extra stuff you are carrying in the trailer. Now add in 4 husky guys with a weekend supply of beer, a full tank of gas, half a pack of smokes and 4 pairs of sunglasses, and you are now edging the upper limits of your GCWR.

Experienced tow-ers always see the GCWR as the most important towing spec. One may think manufacturers want to have conservative ratings but they also want high numbers that look good in comparison to other makes in the same class, so they end up pretty accurate.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:25 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
http://www.rockettrailers.com/TrailerBrakeLaws.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in