spun rod bearing?? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Engine tuning and/or modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:19 AM

spun rod bearing??

i have a 06 SS and i was beatin on it pretty good and then the motor started tappin like a valve tap. i took it back to the dealership for warranty and they said i spun a rod bearing, has anyone ever heard of the LS2 doing this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM

2009 Non-GMT360 Other
Black Other AWD
This can happen to any engine. It's usually a result of lack of oil. They may have to replace the crankshaft as well if it's bad enough.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:55 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-spec View Post
i have a 06 SS and i was beatin on it pretty good and then the motor started tappin like a valve tap. i took it back to the dealership for warranty and they said i spun a rod bearing, has anyone ever heard of the LS2 doing this??
Man... I still treat our Envoy as gently as possible and have done so since the day we bought it. Maybe it's cause I didn't grow up with much money, who knows... It's good that your warranty will cover this repair, but keep in mind that routine misuse could/will result in failures later on down the road (after the warranty expires). It doesn't matter if you run the best oil available if your rawdogging the motor enough to spin rod bearings. I'm sure you're young and excited, but these are nice machines that go for $35,000 new. What about the next person to own the vehicle who may have been waiting and saving years ahead of time? What if they think they are buying a good used GM Certified SUV that will only be a problem child the entire time they are under it. What will they be purchasing with their hard earned/borrowed money? I'm sure you haven't or do not think that far ahead, but it's always on my mind when I read of these "self-caused maintenance issues" which seem to never end.

Disclaimer: I'm expecting a negative reply, just so you're aware. Most people wouldn't admit to doing anything wrong and will defend themselves to no avail. Also, they might feel as though the more mature opinions are somewhat aggressive, but that is not the case. We all care about our fellow Trailvoy owners (brotherhood) and are only helping them by providing proper guidance and counesling. Good luck at the dealership. Oh and one last thing. Keep an eye on GM's stocks, news, capital gains and losses. There might not be a warranty before long.

As usual, my 2Cents,

JD

Old 11-20-2008, 03:06 PM

2009 Non-GMT360 Other
Black Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy_mr2 View Post
tl;dr

just so ya know, most of the people on this site don't have the attention span to read something that long
Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDarknez View Post
tl;dr

just so ya know, most of the people on this site don't have the attention span to read something that long
I'm sorry to hear you have that opinion of our board members. I would like to be the first to say it is my firm belief there are much more intellectually written posts than that of my earlier one. If you feel challenged by the articulation contained within, that's a whole different situation.

Thanks and keep the confidence up.

My2Cents,

JD
Old 11-20-2008, 03:25 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I'd expect something a whole lot louder than a valve-tap like sound, if the bearing actually spun, unless you mean more like a collapsed lifter type sound. Just keep in mind that if you're going to beat on it, make sure the motor has a chance to fully warm up first. The odds of damaging something with a cold motor are much greater than once they're fully warmed up.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Johnboy_mr2. So basically your saying..."Don't drive it like you stole it." Respect and think of the other person buying it in the near future. Hmm...k . I guess i better start now and respect it.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
I have the same thing happening. I haven't driven it for the last 3 months (it happened while driving home from Wal*Mart the night before I was going to drive from Iowa to San Antonio in it). Spun bearing would NORMALLY cause little to no oil pressure from what I've been told. My dealer is 99% sure it's a wrist pin. They're not covering it due to being tuned (I don't lie, they know all of my mods...and love the crap out of it!). You have to pay to play, brotha!

So, I've bought this stuff:
PSI-LS1511ML "Maxlife" Beehive Valve Springs
Comp Hi-Performance 7* Machined Locks
CV-Products 511 Titanium Retainers
Trend 5/16" Hardened Pushrods (7.425")
ATTITUDE Cam
Katech timing chain
Cam install kit
ARP Harmonic Balancer Bolt (pulley)

NGK TR6 spark plugs (gapped to .030)
Scott's Wires (for headers)

Kooks 1 3/4" headers-coated Jethot 1700 Extreme Sterling
catted 3" Y

Callie's Compstar Forged Rods-6.125" w/ARP
Wiseco Forged pistons- 4.005" bore/3.622" stroke/ 6.125" rod/-3.2cc
Wiseco Piston Rings, 4.005 Bore, 1.5 - 1.5 - 3.0 mm
Melling Performance Oil Pump

Clevite Rod Bearings
Clevite Main Bearings
Durabond Cam bearings
ARP Head Bolts kit-Hex
2 Head gaskets
Rear main seal housing gasket
Timing cover gasket
Exhaust manifold gasket
Oil pan gasket
water pump gasket
Rear main seal
Front crankshaft seal

Then, I'm spraying the crap out of its forged butt!

All I haven't received yet is the forged parts and rings. Should be here by tomorrow, maybe Monday.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:45 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by initechpeter View Post
Johnboy_mr2. So basically your saying..."Don't drive it like you stole it." Respect and think of the other person buying it in the near future. Hmm...k . I guess i better start now and respect it.
Driving it like you stole it applies when one either does indeed steal a vehicle, or can afford to drive, have it repaired, drive, have it repaired, etc... I sure as heck know I can't afford to hotdog my cars around. Furthermore, I don't feel right about being knowledgably rough on a car, and then have the company I bought it from cover the repairs all the time (warranty abuse). This costs GM quite a bit of change and sure as heck doesn't help their shotty business ethics, hahaha. There are 2 sides to nearly every coin.

I know this is common sense to most, but I'm replying to another's post here.

My2Cents,

JD
Old 11-20-2008, 03:47 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRobSA View Post
They're not covering it due to being tuned (I don't lie, they know all of my mods...and love the crap out of it!). You have to pay to play, brotha!
Now this is the attitude to have! I bet your ride is indeed impressive. How much do you think you have in it total?

My2Cents,

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in