The whats, whys, and hows to removing your exhaust resonator (WITH PICS) - Page 3 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Exhaust Mods

Exhaust Mods Performance Exhaust Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I cut the resonator, got a corsa tip for a great price off of ebay, welded it on and painted the pipe black to the tip with VHT primer and flat black header paint from Auto Zone. Looks and sounds great. Corsa part number 14035, mine looks great. http://corsaperf.com/CorsaVehicleLookup.aspx Also I had to buy an 18" peice of pipe to weld it, sorry I forgot to add that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by goulds48 View Post
I cut the resonator, got a corsa tip for a great price off of ebay, welded it on and painted the pipe black to the tip with VHT primer and flat black header paint from Auto Zone. Looks and sounds great. Corsa part number 14035, mine looks great. http://corsaperf.com/CorsaVehicleLookup.aspx Also I had to buy an 18" peice of pipe to weld it, sorry I forgot to add that
Any pictures of yours
Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
silverstone 4.2L I6 2WD
I just removed my resonator over the weekend. The tip is made by SLP 2-1/2" inlet x 4" out.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2009, 07:17 AM

2004 Non-GMT360 Other
Desert Tan Other 4X4
Pix of my rearnded TB. 'Death to the Resonator'

[QUOTE=bobbyblaze;677172]I was rear ended just before christmas. No real damage to my TB with the exception of the exhaust. The front end of the ford fusion that hit me was DESTROYED. My problem is the factory replacement tailpipe hangs 1 1/2 to 2 inches lower than stock. I measured 8 other TBs in parking lots to be sure. The body shop says that it is how the replacement came from the factory. Aside from the fact that the resonator is already ugly back there, it now hangs way too low for my taste and I plan on doing some 4 wheelin in the spring. I am going to cut out a perfectly good 2 month old resonator to weld in a straight pipe. YES !!! Just gotta find the right tip. I've seen some nice ones in this thread. Gave me some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smaller img_ 149.jpg‎
Views:	549
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2561   Click image for larger version

Name:	smaller other tb rear.jpg‎
Views:	470
Size:	955.6 KB
ID:	2562   Click image for larger version

Name:	smaller tb rear 2.jpg‎
Views:	470
Size:	962.6 KB
ID:	2563  
Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michblaze02 View Post
Any pictures of yours
I will take a couple this weekend

Old 02-13-2009, 07:39 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
if i decided to cut it off would i HAVE to get extra pipe to keep the fumes from under the car and do you have to weld on the tip or can you just use one of the pipe clamps
Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM

2004 Non-GMT360 Other
Desert Tan Other 4X4
Dosen't matter wether you weld or clamp on a tip. Extending the pipe further is in my opinion nescesary to keep the exhaust gas from entering your tb when you are idiling. It looks like you'd have to cut the pipe just after the rear exhaust hanger before the res can. I do my own welding and can get a clean weld there, I would cut it at the rear of the weld bead where the pipe and res can meet (see the red arrow in the pic). Not alot of room between there. Gonna remove the tire for more room. You can go straight out back or out the side with your new pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TB RES 2 arrow.JPG‎
Views:	500
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	2564  
Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
thanks alot im defently gonna look into doing this and the pics always make it easier
Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 AM

2004 Non-GMT360 Other
Desert Tan Other 4X4
If anyone is interested, I will take pix for a how-to when I do my res can delete. Trying to find a nice stainless tip first.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
[QUOTE=bobbyblaze;677443]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblaze View Post
I was rear ended just before christmas. No real damage to my TB with the exception of the exhaust. The front end of the ford fusion that hit me was DESTROYED. My problem is the factory replacement tailpipe hangs 1 1/2 to 2 inches lower than stock. I measured 8 other TBs in parking lots to be sure. The body shop says that it is how the replacement came from the factory. Aside from the fact that the resonator is already ugly back there, it now hangs way too low for my taste and I plan on doing some 4 wheelin in the spring. I am going to cut out a perfectly good 2 month old resonator to weld in a straight pipe. YES !!! Just gotta find the right tip. I've seen some nice ones in this thread. Gave me some ideas.
#1) If that's the way it came from the factory, it should have been sent back. #2 You should post the name of the body shop so people know where NOT to go. IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in