Anybody regret Bilstein HD's? - Page 3 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Suspension

Suspension Suspension repair/modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:02 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat 5.3L V8 4X4
The ball joint does NOT need to be removed. The bottom of the shock is gripped by a yoke. The bottom of that yoke fits over a horizontal "stud" on the lower control arm. I used a large pickle fork to knock it off; others have used a Pittman arm puller, and some use a BFH. Once it is off, and the two nuts under the hood are removed, the yoke/spring/shock assembly will fall right out.

Take the assembly over to your bench vise and remove the bolt that holds the shock in place. Then, I used a chisel to wedge the yoke open and lifted the shock/spring assembly out. Use your spring compressor and you are good to go.

When reassembling, don't tighten the shock in the yoke. This will allow you to spin the shock in the yoke to easily fit it back into the holes at the top, and to slip the bottom over the stud. Once those are snugged, you can cinch the shock in the yoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 04:03 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Well after reading way too many posts I decided on the Bilstein HDs. I normally lean towards a firmer ride, just not harsh, so hopefully I won't regret it.

I'll check back after i get them installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 04:10 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullhead View Post
Well after reading way too many posts I decided on the Bilstein HDs. I normally lean towards a firmer ride, just not harsh, so hopefully I won't regret it.

I'll check back after i get them installed.
I have ran bilstein HD's and 5100's on other vehicles and they are amazing shocks, imo.

Rancho, I've never been a fan of.

My HD's are scheduled for delivery today

The big question si can I resist the urge to install the rears tonight? or will I wait until the weekend so I can do it all at once?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 PM

I ended up installing them last night. It does ride better than factory shocks.

However, they are really short! I don't like how short they are. I installed the tops (like I've always done) and the bottom only extends about 2" below the bottom mount! Tires were on the ground and I was simply crawling under the truck to do it.... The full weight was on this. And that's without the spacers installed. If I install the spacers, I won't have any downward articulation!

Does that seem right to you guys? I've always expected shocks to provide at least a few more inches of movement.

I know lots of people go with Z71 springs from an avalanche, and use the longer shocks for that... Any reason I shouldn't get Bilstein 5100's for an Avalanche?

Does anyone want to buy some Bilstein HD's with 15 miles on them?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 PM

Just got mine today. Will post after get them in.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 AM

Cashmere Metallic U929L 4.2L I6 4X4
Unfortunately, I recently had the opportunity to RENT a 2008 TB LS (6400 kilometers on the odometer) while mine is in the shop for a blown head gasket. I'm still driving the rental (for at least another week). This is an excellent opportunity to compare my 2005 TB (99,000 miles) with the Bilsteins and Mark's Lift Meister. I like the Bilstein HDs better than the new TB ride. The new ride seems to float and drift a little more than my TB does. As far as performance, the new TB doesn't seem to have any more pep than my stock '05. The cabin noise is about the same. So, all-in-all, I'm very satisfied with the durability of the TB (head gasket not withstanding).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LT Bumper & Fogs, Oil Skid Plate, Bilstein HDs, Quad Head & Tail Lights, LED Hood Lights
Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Ok, got the back ones in last night, only took 30 mins, and all I an say so far is damn what an improvement!! Firm not harsh makes it feel like a different car. Like others have said already it gets rid of that wallowing through turns and such. Really tightens up the ride.

Can't wait to get my spring compressor so I can do the fronts.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 PM

2003 Chevy Northface
B/W NorthFace 5.3L V8 4X4
Can anyone provide more info on removing front shocks? My spring compressor was too big for the spring. Can it be pulled out without compressing the spring first?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglepuss View Post
Can anyone provide more info on removing front shocks? My spring compressor was too big for the spring. Can it be pulled out without compressing the spring first?
ABSOLUTELY NOT. Do not attempt that. Serious injury may result. Assuming you didn't get hurt, you certainly couldn't reassemble the coilover.

You must use a spring compressor (properly) to replace front struts.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglepuss View Post

buy the proper compressor... unless you wanna become another Darwin award winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in